Judging

The Band Hall is a great company that deals from the creative side of the business. I have purchased uniforms and flags from them for several years and have found Keith, Tommy and the rest of the staff to be very, very helpful. There designs are not always made with fabrics that will hold up like the normal poly stuff, but we ask for those designs and expect the uniforms to wear out a little quicker. The WGI community is lucky to have several companies that are pleasant to deal with and provide excellent service. Fred J. Miller and Algy also come to mind.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Band Hall is a great company that deals from the creative side of the business. I have purchased uniforms and flags from them for several years and have found Keith, Tommy and the rest of the staff to be very, very helpful. Their designs are not always made with fabrics that will hold up like the normal poly stuff, but we ask for those designs and expect the uniforms to wear out a little quicker. The WGI community is lucky to have several companies that are pleasant to deal with and provide excellent service. Fred J. Miller and Algy also come to mind.

I would say that creative draping is a good thing for most groups.

I think consistent and safe dance training is better to where draping isn't necessary, but that's another thread.

I think consistent and safe dance training is better to where draping isn't necessary, but that's another thread.

Well, obviously. But the reality is that the majority of groups out there don't have the time, resources, staff, or desire to spend the time necessary to develop flawless dance technique. And for all those groups, a little creative draping is'nt a bad thing. We all do it in form or another. Like my Grandmother used to say "If it don't look good, don't put it out on the front porch!"

I didn't say it had to be flawless, just consistent (which naturally stimulates growth) and safe.

And if you don't have the resources to teach safe dancing, then either someone on staff needs to take initiative to learn more or not teach an activity that requires dance.

I didn't say it had to be flawless, just consistent (which naturally stimulates growth) and safe.

And if you don't have the resources to teach safe dancing, then either someone on staff needs to take initiative to learn more or not teach an activity that requires dance.

Yes, I'll have to disagree. I disagree that this activity requires dance as I believe you are meaning it. I think there are plenty of guards that do well in movement with "guard" movement and poor dance technique, yet it is cleaned and effective. Or, even the top guards that do skills in movement that are lightyears beyond some of their members in technique, yet they perform it extremely well that it does not matter. I don't believe color guard is to the point that every guard needs someone who specializes in dance in order to excel.

Also, elements in color guard that are being added are borrowing from several kinds of other activities, particularly gymnastics. And instructors might add these elements, regardless of whether they know any technique about it or not, other than they know what the skill looks like or what it is called. Yet they still do it because it creates effect. I don't think we are to the point yet where a staff understands a thorough depth of technique in everything that is taught. Not yet anyways, perhaps it will eventually be like that. To tie this into the topic, I feel judges will look for the consistency indeed, but not necessarily proper or even safe dance training. It's all about performance and cleanliness.

Edited by Stick Stack

I would love to know who you teach since you're so high and mighty about this. I'm sure your group won movement at WGI?

I still stand by original opinion. It would be great if every single group out there had stellar dance instruction. But the reality is, the majority do not, for all the reasons mentioned above. Go watch SA Class prelims (all 120 of them), and you'll understand why some creative draping can be a good thing.

I have to agree with M_S...if you can't do it well don't do it at all. If you have to "creatively drape it to hide it" your not fooling anybody but yourself. Certainly not the judges!

And if an instructor wants to add "movement" from another activity, be it dance or gymnastics, or whatever, they better da*n sure know what they are doing, or they are gonna get clocked.

This attitude of "oh, don't worry about it, we can get away with it" in color guard has GOT to stop.

Excellence, people! In everything we do guard.

Edited by garfield_cadets

to telling someone they should not be teaching, who do you teach?
I would love to know who you teach since you're so high and mighty about this. I'm sure your group won movement at WGI?

Now now, unless you teach a world class finalist guard you certainly have no right to question another instructor about such a thing, weither you agree with his opinion or not.