Company fronts

There was a thread alive about a month ago on this topic. Try searching for it.

Company fronts are tired and predictible for the most part. I like it when a corps sets it all up and then spins wickedly out of it just to throw a curve at an audience.

No more tired than the block formation which dominates visual language today. Almost everything drill idea is resolved by it. A properly executed company front cannot be equaled. However, a badly executed one is a painful thing to watch. Todays corps don't use their elbows to establish interval and guide, and the drill moves leading into the company fronts are usually so difficult that you might hit it once in a season. Madison's 75 Slaughter company front is an example of an effective drill move. SCV 89 closer is another one that I like, although probably not as well executed. Both had one thing in common, and that was music that was elevated by the company front.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The sole purpose of a company front is to elevate the 'wall of sound' concept to a visual level. That's why moments like SCV '89 are so memorable for most people. You equate the front with the musical equivalent happening at the same time.

The sole purpose of a company front is to elevate the 'wall of sound' concept to a visual level. That's why moments like SCV '89 are so memorable for most people. You equate the front with the musical equivalent happening at the same time.

Good point. As an aside, I just got the 1998 Legacy DVD and momentarily went nuts over the Glassmen's closing front in Prince Igor. Then they had an end zone shot. As the great Frank Pamper told me: "if you ever need a good dose of humility, watch your own show from the end zone".

Back in 81? 82?, the 27th Lancers in Danny Boy collapsed a formation into a single vertical line (on the 50 yard line), then rotated the line into a company front. An incredibly ballsy maneuver, particularly since the horns on either end were practically sprinting, and half the line was marching backwards.

I honestly can't remember how clean the front was, but I do rmember that the audience was impressed that they'd even try something like that (remember, early 80s).

Edited by jthomas666

Yep. Spirit of Atlanta had company fronts at the end of Let it Be Me in 80 and 81. If they had managed a clean company front in either year, there's a good chance they would have taken a championship or two. But back then, M&M was their achilles heel.

Back in 81? 82?, the 27th Lancers in Danny Boy collapsed a formation into a single vertical line (on the 50 yard line), then rotated the line into a company front. An incredibly ballsy maneuver, particularly since the horns on either end were practically sprinting, and half the line was marching backwards.

I honestly can't remember how clean the front was, but I do rmember that the audience was impressed that they'd even try something like that (remember, early 80s).

They ran that wheel for many years, IIRC. And for my money, the cleanest front I've ever seen was Phantom 1980, in 'Romany Life.' Maybe the most thrilling front was BD in 1985, at the restatement of the 'Liferaft Earth' flare. Fantastic. Garfield's front out of nowhere for the first time in 84 is pretty great, too, and one of the only things I like about that drill.

Yep. Spirit of Atlanta had company fronts at the end of Let it Be Me in 80 and 81. If they had managed a clean company front in either year, there's a good chance they would have taken a championship or two. But back then, M&M was their achilles heel.

Not sure about 80 and 81, but in 78 and 79, the cleanliness of the company front didn't hurt us much scorewise, because we made darn sure that the front came after the gun, so that the execution judges couldn't touch it. Because yes, M&M was our achilles heel.

Not sure about 80 and 81, but in 78 and 79, the cleanliness of the company front didn't hurt us much scorewise, because we made darn sure that the front came after the gun, so that the execution judges couldn't touch it. Because yes, M&M was our achilles heel.
That's right, I forgot about the timing gun. After the gun, no more ticks.

after the gun at the 11:30 mark, cleanliness didn't matter, as all judging had ceased except for GE. (as 82 SCV in Bottle Dance....fun and GREAT GE, but YIKES was it dirty ('cause zap lost the count)) Watch any show prior to 84....the gun gpoes off anf the field judges leave the field...clipboard raised to show they aren't writing any ticks....and if you hear judging tapes from that era, they turn them ff after some comments following the gun.