I want a clear, honest, and well thought answer to this

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one responded to my post about the Sylvia Plath narration show. I'm not talking cheesy "THESE ARE THE COLORS OF ENDURANCE", kind of narration, though that stuff can be cool as well. But people seem to keep bringing up the same point of "I don't want to be told what I'm listening to" as if that is that is the only kind of narration. How about for the sake of argument in the rest of the thread we call it "Spoken Word" instead of narration? I think that term more exemplifies what I'm going for.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

"As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster...."

Goodfellas minus the narration just isn't the same.

(as long as we're talking the use of narrative in other mediums such as film, television, music, etc.)

Can definetly start a whole thread on excellent film narration. :P

Can anyone quote a great drum corps narration that will instantly stir the emotions?

. How about for the sake of argument in the rest of the thread we call it "Spoken Word" instead of narration?

Sorry, previous post was before your 'Spoken word' request. Consider it ammended. (By the way, I just narrated that!)

I think I've also stated that I don't really care about the competitive aspect, I'm solely speaking about artistic expression. Calm down :)

But you can't do that. You can't focus soley on artistic expression and completely disregard the competitive aspect of the activity. DCI would be nothing without competition. You even mentioned a few pages back that the extremely high level of talent and performance in DCI was important to you. Well, the fact that corps were competing to be the best is the entire reason drill design and music execution soared so much throughout the decades. Without competition there would have been absolutely no reason to push the envelope and evolve. There would be little to no progress. The product you have now that you love so much would not exist.

Why does the crowd cheer when a trumpet soloist nails a high note? We could state the obvious and say it's because it is exciting. But WHY is it exciting? It is exciting because there is no guarentee that he will hit that note at all. He can't just push a button and effortlessly produce that note with pefect tone and pitch exactly the same way any time he wants. It takes a lot more than that.

I just want to say again that I will never threaten my support if/when this rule passes. If a corps uses it effectively, I will inevitably like it. But I am still stating these opinions because it seems extremely important to maintain the competitive integrity of the activity. I also don't think there is anything glaringly absent in any shows because they can't use synthesizers. Can anyone honestly say they have ever sat in the stands at a DCI show and were yearning for synthesizers? That is an honest question.

I'd like to know what is appealing about turning the drum corps activity into outdoor way-off-Broadway with marching musicians.

Unfortunately, the activity is not evolving into something unique; it is "evolving" into artforms that already exist.

I don't relish the day that we see pyrotecnics, smoke machines and guitars out there. I don't look forward to seeing a literal, just-like-the-movie/play "West Side Story" show, complete with amped fingersnaps, clarinets, saxes and singing (and you know it's coming).

DCI is slowly but surely (and sadly) jumping the shark.

I'd like to know what is appealing about turning the drum corps activity into outdoor way-off-Broadway with marching musicians.

Unfortunately, the activity is not evolving into something unique; it is "evolving" into artforms that already exist.

I don't relish the day that we see pyrotecnics, smoke machines and guitars out there. I don't look forward to seeing a literal, just-like-the-movie/play "West Side Story" show, complete with amped fingersnaps, clarinets, saxes and singing (and you know it's coming).

DCI is slowly but surely (and sadly) jumping the shark.

I would actually find that a lot more interest/entertaining than some others. Evolving one art form into a sort of conglomeration and influences of those that already exist would infact *gasp* create something new and different!.

I've never seen (and I've seen quite a few good ones) a marching band in my entire life that could hold a candle to a top tier Div. I corps. Corps' like the Cavs, BD, Regiment etc. would mow the field with them, and WGI probably wouldn't even exist today if it wasn't for Drum Corps.