I want a clear, honest, and well thought answer to this

All of these experiences are very different so what is the common thread or bond?

I'll provide the obvious (correct) answer to your rhetorical question: Pure brass and percussion.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a multitude of ways to be creative....rules, no rules, somewhere in the middle...as many ways as you can think of.

The narration was an integral part of the show as it was designed. It didn't make the rest of it 'easier'...it was as needed as the first trumpet part.

Not that it matters, but go back a couple of hundred years and you saw WW...fifes...as part of the military musical component.

Vocals can "connect" just as well as instruments. Crown 04 singers and the Cadets singer last year proved that.

The weight of drum corps history is not on your side. DC has been an ever-changing activity since before I started marching over 40 years ago. The things being discussed here are just continuations of that great drum corps tradition.

Mike, forgive me, but you know I disagree with you respectfully and vehemently. If you reread the comments, it's a retort to his dismissiveness. So if you want to disagree, fine. I already know you have radical, minority views in relationship to the community here, and where you stand. Einstein over there thinks that unlike you, he can simply dismiss other viewpoints and dodge facts.

Listen, I know you're all for electronics, but even you must agree that playing a synth/sampler is removing sound quality responsibility from performers. You and I disagree on whether they belong in drum corps, but Einy over there thinks that samplers are no easier to play than a horn. I'm hoping that you agree with me here in that his assessment is patently false.

Mike, forgive me, but you know I disagree with you respectfully and vehemently. If you reread the comments, it's a retort to his dismissiveness. So if you want to disagree, fine. I already know you have radical, minority views in relationship to the community here, and where you stand. Einstein over there thinks that unlike you, he can simply dismiss other viewpoints and dodge facts.

Listen, I know you're all for electronics, but even you must agree that playing a synth/sampler is removing sound quality responsibility from performers. You and I disagree on whether they belong in drum corps, but Einy over there thinks that samplers are no easier to play than a horn. I'm hoping that you agree with me here in that his assessment is patently false.

So music is only validated by the amount of so called "talent" required to perform it?

I hate to state the obvious, but drum corps today is a compromise of two agendas. This is why you (Einstein)feel that DCI is behind BOA in terms of advancement. The first agenda are the traditionalists who want in-your-face, loud drum corps with only brass and percussion making music. The second agenda are those who want drum corps to be super marching band. As long as either one agenda has any influence on the votings of any drum corps circuit, drum corps will continue to be a compromise, as just about any other activity is which involves politics and agendas. The second agenda, always begins as a minority and eventually, but slowly, gains in popularity and will become a majority.

Drum corps is experiencing this right now. Unless the traditionalists are able to convince the current, younger generation and corps admin's otherwise, drum corps will become marching band. It won't happen overnight.

A number of years ago, the army experimented with the concept of a "power band" for for drill band (the name of marching band in the army), using only brass and saxes for winds, eliminating flutes and clarinets. Obviously, it didn't take.

I think that drum corps will soon, at a minimum, allow saxes and "evolve" to include other woodwinds. Once the gate is opened it will not be closed. It opened with adding the third valve. Today we see Bb brass, amplification, and narration.

The traditionalists have a number of choices. They will have to either go along with the changes, leave the activity altogether, or create their own circuit and corps in order to have the type of drum corps they desire.

Anyway, Einstein, will get what you, MikeD, Aaron, GH, and many others want--eventually. Just wait it out.

Woodwinds- I play flute and recorders and have nothing against them. However, playing these instruments outside in ANY situtuation is pointless IMO.

So the 10,000+ HS and college marching bands around the country are all pointless? The military bands that you see in parades are pointless?

So music is only validated by the amount of so called "talent" required to perform it?

Did you not read my original post? Drum corps have a #### ton more talent at their disposal than bands do. More interesting shows executed at a much more professional level is what I'm going for

OT!!!!

But, yeah--I refuse to listen to some types of music based on that premise alone.

Normally no, not necessarily. But in drum corps the answer is, in a way, YES because in addition to being a musical performance, it is also a COMPETITION!!!! Haven't I said that 5 or 6 times already? Does that mean anything to you?

Playing any keyboard instrument requires skills unique to that instrument that are just as difficult to master as a brass instrument, IMO. Different skills, to be sure, but not easier.