I want a clear, honest, and well thought answer to this

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one responded to my post about the Sylvia Plath narration show. I'm not talking cheesy "THESE ARE THE COLORS OF ENDURANCE", kind of narration, though that stuff can be cool as well. But people seem to keep bringing up the same point of "I don't want to be told what I'm listening to" as if that is that is the only kind of narration. How about for the sake of argument in the rest of the thread we call it "Spoken Word" instead of narration? I think that term more exemplifies what I'm going for.

There are many pieces based on poetry, plays, novels, etc. Sometimes the poem or a synopsis is put in the program but rarely read at the concert; if it is ussually before the group starts to play.

A popular symphonic band piece for the last several years is Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night. The music really stands on it's own. In a concert situation the poem is sometimes printed in the program, as it could be in the DCI program. But I've never heard it read as the music is perfomed. The composer even stated that it was "an expression," his, or of the poem poem; not an exact interpretation.

I think it would tend to make the music second to the poetry. I think I'd rather read it in the program before hand. I guess it depends on how much they read and how it's handled, but I don't see myself going for that kind of show.

When I read at home I don't listen to music, and when I listen to symphonies I don't read. I like to do one or the other and FULLY enjoy which ever I'm doing at the time.

I guess I think if the words are that inportant, then set them to music and have them sung. It's ultamately the music that moves me the most.

Edited by shawn craig

Maybe not synths, per se, but something different perhaps, yes.

Why do you go to something knowing full well what you're going to get and expect something different? That's like going to a Michael Jackson concert and being disappointed because he doesn't sing Prince songs.

As for DCI becoming more like BOA. Why should they? Why can't they be more like TOB or any other marching circuit? I love drum corps because it does the things that are not done in band. DCI and BOA are both small niches within the larger marching community. There are plenty of marching bands out there that don't do BOA style shows, and perform their shows without synths and vocals and the kids aren't suffering one iota.

So, once drum corps goes BoA, where can I listen to brass and percussion ensembles? I don't always want to hear ensembles that have every instrument at their disposal... sometimes, especially in the case of drum corps, I like hearing what can be done with only a certain group, here brass and percussion.

Why do you go to something knowing full well what you're going to get and expect something different? That's like going to a Michael Jackson concert and being disappointed because he doesn't sing Prince songs.

As for DCI becoming more like BOA. Why should they? Why can't they be more like TOB or any other marching circuit? I love drum corps because it does the things that are not done in band. DCI and BOA are both small niches within the larger marching community. There are plenty of marching bands out there that don't do BOA style shows, and perform their shows without synths and vocals and the kids aren't suffering one iota.

I never said anyone was being hurt by not doing said things, but I just think it would be nice to see different things out of drum corps, because they could do it!

I understand what you're saying, but I'm talking about something that was WRITTEN that way. As in "Piece for Narrator and Orchestra". Something like that.

I don't know of many pieces written that way. The ones that are tend not to be performed often. Most composers tend to write vocal parts if they want to use words.

The Airplane Symphony (what ever it's title) that Seattle played in 05 is an example. After hearing the small amount of narration they used I lost interest in buying a recording of the original. I think it's why the symphony isn't performed more and therefore better known. It made good music sound second rate. Maybe someday someone will write something using better poetry. ?????

In the meantime I'd rather listen to someone singing then talking.

Wow. I see that Harmonius Cacophony has been writing a post for over an hour. I bet it's long and hope it's good. :P

Heh... I started to write a response, then left for my lesson with the window open.

-~-

What is the purpose of drum corps? Why do the members get out of it? (I guess I will have to watch the Cadets' show, so they can tell me what to think in the inevitable voice-over(s)) What is the function of drum corps in society? What is the function of music in our society? Why does one read a book, watch a movie, and look at paintings?

en•ter•tain•ment (ĕn'tər-tān'mənt)

n.

1. The act of entertaining.

2. The art or field of entertaining.

3. Something that amuses, pleases, or diverts, especially a performance or show.

4. The pleasure afforded by being entertained; amusement: The comedian performed for our entertainment.

5. Archaic. Maintenance; support.

6. Obsolete. Employment.

We go to the movies, listen to music, watch television shows, go to sporting events, and (fans) attend drum corps competitions to be entertained. Drum corps used to be about entertainment. Corps would go out and play a couple of cool tunes jam packed with power chords, screaming sopranos, ferocious drum breaks, heart wrenching ballads, and eye-popping drill moves. Somewhere along the line, DCI corps started coordinating their productions not to entertain, but to win. Walt Disney once said, “I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something than educate people and hope they were entertained.” It seems that now corps design their shows to win, and if people like it, then that is just a positive side effect.

I have seen dramatic changes in high school marching bands coming out of my home state. In the old days, the band that would play and march the best would win. Such is not always the case anymore. Throughout the past six or seven years, bands have started to realize that they can communicate their theme more effectively when they have narration telling what the music is supposed to be portraying. The activity has been changed in efforts to get higher scores, to win. In many cases, scoring higher at competitions becomes a contest to see how many props, special effects, mindless visuals, hornline dance sequences, and voice-overs can be fit into one show. Music education is no longer the goal for these bands, and if DCI continues in path of this “art,” music education will no longer be a goal for DCI either.

Why do people keep on insisting that synthesizers are necessary for “artistic expression?” What is so great about electronic keyboards that magically transform a marching band into a beacon of artistic excellence? These BOA finalist bands that are more “artistic” are nothing more than marching band accompaniments to electric solos. I have seen enough drum corps to know that what takes place in the DCI finals is way more musical, artistic, athletic, intense, passionate, and entertaining than what floats its way up to the top of BOA every year.

Pat Metheny is a musical genius, and his works are often arranged for new mediums. I love hearing the Pat Metheny Groups’ many outstanding works in their original form and as they are often arranged for marching bands and drum corps. Let’s say corps X is playing a Metheny song, and they decide to use a synth to better duplicate Lyle Mays’ keyboard skills. Although this would sound less like a drum corps, it would definitely sound more like the original work. The next step would be to mic some vocalists, because some of the pieces in the PMG’s “Brazilian-influenced period” had vocals, too. That would make the corps sound a whole lot more like the recordings on the PMG albums, but the directors would probably assume that the corps still isn’t up to its highest level of “artistry,” so they would add a guitar and bass to better reflect the PMG’s sound. Before they knew it, they made a Pat Metheny Group of their own to play the show, and the hornline and battery was subjected to accompaniment roles.

Why can’t drum corps just be drum corps?

So, once drum corps goes BoA, where can I listen to brass and percussion ensembles? I don't always want to hear ensembles that have every instrument at their disposal... sometimes, especially in the case of drum corps, I like hearing what can be done with only a certain group, here brass and percussion.

But where can I go to see top notch pageantry outdoor theatre music art ensembles? The brass and percussion thing is great, and I love performing in them, doesn't get any better, but hey, you know, there's other stuff out there. There are so many possibilities, conservatism gets you no where. Right, War in Iraq?

But where can I go to see top notch pageantry outdoor theatre music art ensembles? The brass and percussion thing is great, and I love performing in them, doesn't get any better, but hey, you know, there's other stuff out there. There are so many possibilities, conservatism gets you no where. Right, War in Iraq?

So you're basically pushing for change for the sake of change? Why lose something as unique as brass and percussion ensembles? At this juncture I think we need a split of some sort. I don't see any reason to NOT have a top-notch pageantry circuit while at the same time I see NO REASON to lose something as unique as brass and percussion ensembles.