I want a clear, honest, and well thought answer to this

So the 10,000+ HS and college marching bands around the country are all pointless? The military bands that you see in parades are pointless?

Piccolos and fifes (military tradition) can work ok. flutes don't really add much outside. If it's windy, your air column doesn't make it into the flute very easy as you don't blow into it but across the head joint. Many college marching bands, and some HS marching bands, only use pics, no flutes.

HS bands need them for concert band and it's a popular instrument so they need to march them.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People bring up valid points when it comes to the competition of the activity. I think it would best to see all the groups into a sort of network of Theatre troupes. Meaning drop the competition aspect of the activity, this is the only way that all of this would actually work. If everything is is strictly regulated and judged of course it will be flawed.

Well, then, if what you envision is not just A/E/W, but part of a larger transformation, then why are you focusing on just A/E/W and not even mentioning competition until page 9 of the "debate"? Wait, I know - because you'd have even more dissent over that idea.

As an additional observation - since competition is even more deeply embedded in DCI's fiber than drums and bugles, your idea would undoubtedly require the creation of a new circuit. Transforming DCI into the agency for a non-competitive circuit would be far more difficult than creating one from scratch.

It started half a century ago, so yes, it is a slow process.

It's funny that many of those you call "traditionalists" were fine with the changes going on back in their day, whenever that was, yet they rag on about continuing changes today.

You know, Mike, I think I wrote a very middle-of-the-road reply to Einstein's original post, and somehow knew that you'd just jump in and point out the continual evolution of drum corps. :P

I guess it is my fault for not preempting the argument by offering a current definition of the traditionalist in drum corps; just as the definition of words will always change over time.

As I see it, a typical drum corps traditionalist is no longer looking for a valveless bugle, a snare on a sling, or a guard member wearing saddle boots and giving military flag signals or present arms from the rifles. Today's traditionalist, I presume, is looking for G bugles, an array of percussion instruments, and wants nothing to do with amps, electronics, or narration. It appears to me, that most traditionalists, under these parameters, are for a traditional sound and appearance characteristic of drum corps of the past, though only slightly augmented.

Edited by ravedodger

I'm convinced "Einstein" is only interested in stirring the hornet's nest. There's no attempt here to cover new ground, just poking people with a stick. I'm over it. This thread will probably go a long, long ways, but in the end, this was:

"I want a clear, honest, and well thought answer to this - even though I have my own answer and don't need your answer."

I'm convinced "Einstein" is only interested in stirring the hornet's nest. There's no attempt here to cover new ground, just poking people with a stick. I'm over it. This thread will probably go a long, long ways, but in the end, this was:

"I want a clear, honest, and well thought answer to this - even though I have my own answer and don't need your answer."

My intent was actually pretty sincere when I made the post, but whatever you're more than welcome to think whatever you want.

seriousbusiness.jpg

And what about the many fans who just want to hear brass and percussion throw down, not knowing or caring about the activity's history and traditions? Are they "traditionalists"?

They wouldn't know the difference, I suppose.

I marched a top 12 BOA group for 4 years. In those 4 years, we placed in every BOA event we went to (Indy, Nationals, etc.) I have always been somewhat of a traditionalist, preferring to not have amplification, narration, etc. After attending Nationals this year as a spectator, that opinion has changed. If used correctly and efficiently, props/narration/amplification can add a whole lot to your show. If it's too much, however, it can make your show look and sound really dumb.

I marched a top 12 BOA group for 4 years. In those 4 years, we placed in every BOA event we went to (Indy, Nationals, etc.) I have always been somewhat of a traditionalist, preferring to not have amplification, narration, etc. After attending Nationals this year as a spectator, that opinion has changed. If used correctly and efficiently, props/narration/amplification can add a whole lot to your show. If it's too much, however, it can make your show look and sound really dumb.

I've always felt this way. Whether people believe it or not, there will come a day after electronics are approved (which will happen within the next five years most likely) when a corps will utilize this technology to tremendous general approval by the fans and drum corps community alike. It will be cool and interesting and entertaining and people will talk about how you gotta check this out and it will be unlike anything we've seen done in the past in the band world, and it will just scratch the surface of what is possible. There's no doubt in my mind that something like this will happen.

I don't like narration at all. The electronics aspect doesn't bother me as much if it was used for music. Singing might be pretty cool, but most corps don't bother to find a good singer (save Cadets) and just use narration as a cheap crutch. I go to a drum corps show to hear music and a visual show. I don't go to hear somebody talk through it.

I really don't even want to notice that a corps is using electronic equipment. It seems today it is more about, "Hey, look at us, we have electronic equipment!" Rather than, "Hey, check out this cool part of the show." ... even though the cool part of the show happens to use electronic equipment.

In short,

Keep the music, lose the talking.