1977 Oakland Crusaders Percussion

Was Daryl Langworthy with Oakies that year? He was with us at The Royal Coachmen and then went to Seneca and then Oakland and then after that he spent three years with SCV.

I don't think so, but John could answer this question better than I. If Daryl is the person I'm thinking of, he marched Seneca in '78 (and possibly before). Then, when Seneca folded after the '78 season, he joined Oakland in '79. So he wouldn't have marched in Oakland's '77 line. I think you can see him in this photo (snare line, black Seneca jacket), taken at a June 1979 exhibition at Scarborough Town Centre; this would've been right after Seneca folded and several Optimists came over to join Oakland:

oakland79scarborough03.jpeg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The set design looks like a revival of 'A Clockwork Orange.'

It was an AWESOME line for sure.

You may want to review this, John (sarnia sam) and I discussed the "competition" between the two lines.

I swear to g...d my nieghbor down the street marched in their snare line and taught the legendary line between 75 and 77.

I'm not kidding at all. We met a couple of years ago when he was walking his kid to the store while I was pulling some weeds out front. He mentioned he had heard me playing on my drum pad SCV's Electric Wheel Chair on the back deck and was curious if I ever marched drum corps. After he introduced himself I was literally dizzy. I told him Etobico was the only drum corps I ever bought because of their drum line.

Mom

looks like what really kept them out of finals was their M&M which placed 21st overall. that kept them out of finals.

looks like what really kept them out of finals was their M&M which placed 21st overall. that kept them out of finals.

Yup. M&M was always Oakland's weak link, but never more so than that year, just because of the fact that it essentially denied the drum line their trophy by keeping the corps out of finals.

Edited by byline

I don't think so, but John could answer this question better than I. If Daryl is the person I'm thinking of, he marched Seneca in '78 (and possibly before). Then, when Seneca folded after the '78 season, he joined Oakland in '79. So he wouldn't have marched in Oakland's '77 line. I think you can see him in this photo (snare line, black Seneca jacket), taken at a June 1979 exhibition at Scarborough Town Centre; this would've been right after Seneca folded and several Optimists came over to join Oakland:

oakland79scarborough03.jpeg

Looks like him! Thanks!

OK, I'm no drummer, but that '77 drum line was cleaner than clean. Wow! :laugh: