Cadets in 18th Place?

5th place last year was the Cadets

meaning... ?

i realize that this isn't a 2006 thread, but i'll just say that i think both of the 2006 shows on the list were packed full of gimmick-effect that won't be remembered ten years from now.

give me a corps that plays, marches, sings, beatboxes, raps, whatever better than any other group in the world ever has, and then you'll have a "classic."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

meaning... ?

i realize that this isn't a 2006 thread, but i'll just say that i think both of the 2006 shows on the list were packed full of gimmick-effect that won't be remembered ten years from now.

give me a corps that plays, marches, sings, beatboxes, raps, whatever better than any other group in the world ever has, and then you'll have a "classic."

I personally love both of the 2006 shows that were on the Classic Countdown, and they are on my list of all-time favorites.

Maybe they won't be classics for you... but they will be for me. :)

meaning... ?

You lost me when you say that the 2005 Regiment show had more gimmicks as compared to the 2006 Cadets show.

I have been in the accounting & the business world long enough to know that people will twist numbers to their own benefit.

Yeah, you can rework the numbers to make them say anything. But the most logical explanation that I can think of is that, after reviewing the votes per show for each corps, the Cadets show votes were all within 750+ votes between 1398 and 2153.

If you look at the other "finalist" shows, the gap is wider: PR - 1020+ votes; SCV - 2000+; Madison - 1300+; Cavies: 1400+.

I don't think it is any reflection on the Cadets or George. I think it is simply that the votes for the Cadets shows were more evenly distributed between the candidates.

That said, what's with the "Classic Countdown DVD Bundle" I want Madison 95 and Cadets 87 in 5.1 surround sound!!!!!

You lost me when you say that the 2005 Regiment show had more gimmicks as compared to the 2006 Cadets show.

yeah but i didn't say that.

the 2006 "classic" shows aren't particularly timeless, in my opinion. secondly, if that kind of show is indicative of what it takes to win dci these days, i'd rather be in a corps that did a different kind of show -- with more substance/demand -- and get 10th place.

i don't have anything to say about the cadets 2006 show, other than it was interesting.

Edited by whitedawn

yeah but i didn't say that.

the 2006 "classic" shows aren't particularly timeless, in my opinion. secondly, if that kind of show is indicative of what it takes to win dci these days, i'd rather be in a corps that did a different kind of show -- with more substance/demand -- and get 10th place.

i don't have anything to say about the cadets 2006 show, other than it was interesting.

I thought both of those 2006 shows had substance and demand, in different ways. The Cavaliers show wasn't meant to be deep and emotional, although that ballad is beautiful. The drill was demanding. Phantom's show was very emotional, and their ballad is also very beautiful. Their hornbook didn't seem too easy either.

I guess it boils down to different strokes for different folks. Either way, I thought both of the shows were championship worthy and deserve respect. They were performed and executed very well :)

meaning... ?

I have to disagree.

I have never been a huge fan of cavies, but I have a feeling their 06 show will be remmebered 10 years from now.

As far as cadets highest show being 18th, I have no doubt that it was the product of votes being split between their shows, whereas corps like SCV and Madison had all their votes piled onto one show (for the most part)

However you can't say that means cadets are more or less popular than any other corps.

cavies and regiment both had 3 shows voted into the top 12.

I think that says more.

cadets may have gotten more votes per year in the countdown, but regiment and cavies just got more votes.

in the end it doesn't matter.

I got to see the cadets show I voted for and thats all that mattered to me.

I think that these votes really show how much of a younger and much less knowledgeable crowd DCI has. Rather disappointing I think.

I think that these votes really show how much PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT TASTES in what entertains them. Rather encouraging I think. :)

That's my point. People voted for the shows they liked. And in doing so, in aggregate, the Cadets took more votes than Madison. How can you see it any other way?

HH

you are looking at it as an aggregate...others are looking at it as a "per show" basis...

sure, Cadets had more aggregate votes than madison, but I can also say that a full 67% more people liked the top rated Madison show more than the top rated Cadets show...and as Madison had 2 shows rated higher than any Cadet show...

numbers are fun...