Ya know theres more then 5 corps out there

I don't feel guilty for whom I voted. I'm just getting sick of people alluding to the fact that the younger demographic is "screwing up" the Classic Countdown. That's what it seems a lot of people are hinting. I wanted to let people know why I, a younger person, voted for the corps I did. People shouldn't blame the young ones for there not being old shows on the CC.

When I voted, I didn't have in mind- "OK, what do I consider classic." I voted thinking, "Ok, what are my favorite shows."

And I think many other people did the same.

Thats cool......and I basically do the same thing. Except, I pick one corps that I have never seen or heard before. How about everyone trying that ?

PS

I to would like to see a wider variety of corps (Suncoast, Troopers, Guardsmen, Sky Ryders, Freelancers to name a few.......)

I guess they need to change the format for this to happen though......

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You claim you don't see real fans diminish the past, but in the same token, you don't see real fans diminish the present, either.
Exactly so, but no, I'm not a present-day 'fan'. When the topic was forwarded, I felt it was time to forward some thoughts towards the difference between FAN and "fan". The former respects history and immerses himself/herself in it; the latter lives for the moment. Either lifestyle is fine, but I enjoy pointing out the differences, just as our friend Carl306, above, does.

I don't see why people are complaining so much. It's not like every show was from the 2000s, in fact, other than the 2 shows from 2006 the youngest show was 12 years old.

There were 3 shows from the 80s, 3 from the 90s, and 2 from the 00s.

There were simply too many repeats. Also, there are too many good shows that people haven't seen and should see to have repeats. How many of you have seen Phantom's Romeo and Juliet show? How many have seen a Freelancers show? How many of you have seen SCVs first Phantom of the Opera show? I mean then we could argue about which show was better! Anyone see any City of Angels show ( 4 different shows that I can think of off the top of my head)? How about a "Magical Mystery Tour" show? The Cavaliers were good before the year 2000, or even 1995. Heck they had pretty sweet shows that didn't win. Same for BD. I'll take BD '93 - '90 over BD '94. I'm sure modern DC people would like BD '91. My point is, don't allow repeats. The Classic Countdown could server to educate as well as entertain. I mean, Star '91 and '93 get all the 'Star' love, but I think Star '90 was a better book. Give Suncoast Sound some love... Give Sky Ryders some love too... Heh, give Bluecoats some love... GIVE SPIRIT some love.... Maybe a show should be older than 5 years to be eligible for classic status? I love the new shows that come out every year, but I get the DVDs and I go to the shows. They're not classics, yet.

We all know DCI will probably sell another Classic Count Down DVD. I'm not going to re-buy stuff I've already bought on video, DVD, CC DVD and then another CC DVD.... If there had been no repeats of previous CC, then I would repurchase for the sake of helping support DCI.

Okay, I'm just saying.... :P

Exactly so, but no, I'm not a present-day 'fan'. When the topic was forwarded, I felt it was time to forward some thoughts towards the difference between FAN and "fan". The former respects history and immerses himself/herself in it; the latter lives for the moment. Either lifestyle is fine, but I enjoy pointing out the differences, just as our friend Carl306, above, does.

So "real fans" are the ones living in the past and "fans" are the ones living in the present. Gotcha :grouphug:

So how are fans who are relative newcomers supposed to even see older shows??? Our options, it seems to me, are to spend very big bucks on DCI CD's/DVD's, find bootlegs on the internet or know somebody with recordings of these shows. I'm not inclined to part with $40 for the 1977 Championships DVD, but there have been plenty of times I'd have spent $5 to $10 for a video recording of a single show. I'd even begin by spendng the money for Season Pass, if that's what it took. Ideally, I'd like a downloadable file, but I'd even be satisfied with access to view my "Purchases" on line. Is there a reason DCI is so reluctant to make individual shows available for us to buy?

And, If I may add, is there a reason DCI is so reluctant to make older shows of non-finalist available for us to buy? They were recorded. They were sold on video.

So did the OP just pick 5 random corps out of a hat? Hard to take anything you say seriously when you screw up something so basic to your argument, somehow leaving off SCV and Regiment.

But wait, then you say 80% were shows from the last ten years. Only 2 were shows from the last ten years. That's 25%. Furthermore, 80% of 8 shows would've been 6.4 shows. How the hell would 6.4 shows have been from the last ten years?

Is this some kind of joke? Your main point is terrible and whiny too. You don't like the shows they had? Deal with it. Not everyone wants to follow you on that trip down memory lane. Maybe you can spend the extra time not at the theatre learning how to count.

It's amazing how posting on an anonymous message board seems to 'free us of our social graces'. The internet: It's the great equalizer. We can be 10, 20, or 50... We can be really intelligent, or just plain stupid; and our opinions all carry the same merit. As long as we can figure out how to login, we're good. :grouphug:

And, If I may add, is there a reason DCI is so reluctant to make older shows of non-finalist available for us to buy? They were recorded. They were sold on video.

I kinda doubt that there is that much demand for it

Life must be pretty sweet with those rose colored sun glasses on. :)

It's simple, if you want to see older shows - start lobbying on the various corps message boards, build some interest, and get the show on there. However, if you aren't proactive then you have no room to complain. You're forgetting that it wasn't only corps people voting, it was open to band people as well. That market falls into your definition stated above, however drum corps people absolutely do NOT.

I don't know, maybe you've been around the BOA kids to much. Go to a camp or show and hang out with the real corps people, I'm sure that you willl leave confident that this is a VERY healthy reverence for the past. I know that we regularly watched older shows (watched ever Regiment show from 80-02 on one bus ride), however I will say that we rarely went farther back than the 80s (except for 78!). If you want younger members to appreciate corps, then teach them. Do not belittle them because they weren't around back then.

I agree. It's a good idea to garner support. I don't think it would work on here though. Maybe on the "off season", and if it was presented delicately. When I was a tech for band, I'd bring in video for people to watch. I start off with the latest year, and work my way back a few years. I got a lot of people to watch.

p.s. why is the word 'proactive' used so much in the arts? It's such a semantic pleonasm and totally unecessary. Kind of like words 'tuna fish'...

I react when I hear ATM Machine, PIN Number and free gift too....

p.s. why is the word 'proactive' used so much in the arts? It's such a semantic pleonasm and totally unecessary. Kind of like words 'tuna fish'...

I react when I hear ATM Machine, PIN Number and free gift too....

Active and proactive do not mean the same thing.

Active and proactive do not mean the same thing.

I know, active was a word. Its major meaning is :Being in physical motion. Doing Something...

Proactive is a made up word that has come into vogue in recent years. The word proactive was originally coined by the psychiatrist Victor Frankl in his book Man's Search for Meaning to describe a person who took responsibility for his or her life, rather than looking for causes in outside circumstances or other people. Much of this theory was formed in Nazi concentration camps where Frankl lost his wife, mother, father and family, but decided that even under the worst circumstances, people can make and find meaning. The term was popularized in the business press in Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Though he used the word in Frankl's original sense, the word has come to mean "to act before a situation becomes a source of confrontation or crisis" vs. after the fact. It is frequently misused to mean simply "active" the opposite of passive. I understand it may also imply aggressive action ( really, REALLY action) and is generally considered the opposite of reactive. It's just one of those words that has been over used and misused so much that it's a little irritating to see or hear

Most people I've heard that actually say it are trying to say something to the effect of they want to be really, REALLY active... They want to be prepared. They want to be "pro" active....

So when I hear someone say "proactive", I know what they mean, but I keep thinking that they want to be really really active, which strikes me as a bit odd and repetitive. Either you're active, or you're not.

Some people even want to be "pre" active and take care of issues BEFORE they're a problem. It's okay, it's not a school night and I'm just up late and being silly.

Edited by jjeffeory