Ya know theres more then 5 corps out there

Once again I didn't get a chance to go to the CC but it really didn't matter. I've seen most of those shows anyway. But what disappointed me the most was the votes. It seems like the only corps people feel are worthwhile are Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavaliers, Scouts and Star. Crown got a lot of votes but most were with those five corps. And 80% were shows in the last ten years.

How about the great shows of the past or corps that aren't around anymore beside STAR! How about Guardsmen 79, Blue Stars 75 or 78 which is chock full of stuff, Argonne Rebels 72, The Troopers, and I haven't mentioned the 80's. Heck there are so many good shows in the past and by different corps the top 4-5. I would pay $20 to see a show without the 5 corps mentioned above.

We need to expand our sphere is experience and try something new but trying something old. You might be surprised by what you see and hear.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again I didn't get a chance to go to the CC but it really didn't matter. I've seen most of those shows anyway. But what disappointed me the most was the votes. It seems like the only corps people feel are worthwhile are Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavaliers, Scouts and Star. Crown got a lot of votes but most were with those five corps. And 80% were shows in the last ten years.

How about the great shows of the past or corps that aren't around anymore beside STAR! How about Guardsmen 79, Blue Stars 75 or 78 which is chock full of stuff, Argonne Rebels 72, The Troopers, and I haven't mentioned the 80's. Heck there are so many good shows in the past and by different corps the top 4-5. I would pay $20 to see a show without the 5 corps mentioned above.

We need to expand our sphere is experience and try something new but trying something old. You might be surprised by what you see and hear.

Not quite sure how you reached the 5 corps you mentioned.

The Cadets would not have even made the countdown if it had not been for the One show per corps rule.

They just barely beat out crown. (who I would have liked to see) but not at the expense of 87 Cadets.

Also, Regiment and SCV need to be added to your list as they garnered a HUGE number of votes.

I agree that a wider variety of corps would be nice to see, but short of doing a 70s only countdown I don't think those shows will ever get the votes needed.

Most fans today are just not knowledgeable enough about that era to have an interest in seeing it.

I would love to see all 70s, all 80s, and all 90s countdowns. I would pay to see each one.

They would all be different, but there would be great things in each one.

Ya know, another problem with watching the old corps is the recording quality. I remember at the first classic countdown, I just had to close my eyes sometimes because the picture quality was so blurry that I was getting nauseous. I love watching these shows on the small screen, but I think it's a bit much in the theater. If only I could go back in time and see all of the 70's finals live....

okay.

~>conner

What you want is for a different selection process in that case. If you want folks to vote, you will get the corps and shows people are familiar with...and the vote will skew more to the modern era overall. My guess is that if Bayonne was not in last year's show, they might not have made this year, as an example. In that case, being in a prior year's countdown helped. Having two 2006 shows highlights the younger popularity factor.

That's the nature of the beast. Judging by the shows, the majority of those who voted probably were younger. I'm 18. I voted for the shows I know of. In fact, I didn't vote for anything older than 1989. Is it because I only like 5 corps? No. It's because I have seen only a handful of shows older than this. I voted for the shows I had seen and wanted to see on the big screen.

You also have to understand that major corps are going to get the props. For someone like me, who hasn't been following DCI for very long, I have only seen shows from the "big dogs." Is that my ignorance? No, I just haven't been able to see shows by the 6th-12th place + from each year. The younger the demographic, the more likely the shows are going to be from big names and from recent years.

It's like if you polled college students for their favorite football teams and games. Odds are that many people won't claim the Ice Bowl from ages ago as their favorite game ever. Not to mention, many people fall on the bandwagon of winners. I bet that some would say that the New England Patriots are their favorites, or some other team that seems to win a lot.

I said in another CC topic that DCI should try "by decade" CCs. A "Best of 1970s" Classic Countdown, etc. Perhaps even a "Best of the Champions" Classic Countdown. Oh, and they should go back to 12 corps.

I doubt everyone will be pleased by the Classic Countdown every year (or however they continue to do it). For instance, did people cry about 04 Crown and 05 Bluecoats getting on last year's Classic Countdown? Those were fresh shows, hardly "classics." At least, that's what some claim about the two 06 shows that were on this year's CC. To me, it doesn't seem like much of a Classic Countdown...

It's more like... "Your Favorite Show Countdown."

But I still enjoy it regardless. I have the 2005 and 2006 CC DVDs, and I went to this year's CC. I love drum corps. It's great :)

That's the nature of the beast. Judging by the shows, the majority of those who voted probably were younger. I'm 18. I voted for the shows I know of. In fact, I didn't vote for anything older than 1989. Is it because I only like 5 corps? No. It's because I have seen only a handful of shows older than this. I voted for the shows I had seen and wanted to see on the big screen.

The top corps are the top corps for a lot of reasons...one being that lots of people like them.

Don't feel guilty or anything that you voted for what you know. What else SHOULD you do?Unless they change the process, what we see is what we get, and it's pretty darn good.

I skipped this year's theater experience because I am so tired of the "popular" corps and the "popular" shows. I know it is what people want to see in the theater, just not for me.

I would love to see the next vote include some shows/corps that don't seem to have a chance. How about we have all corps directors pick a few "must see" shows. Then we could post short clips of the top ten "must sees" and let the population vote for four of them. Next countdown could include four "must sees" and still have room for a top six or eight as picked by fans.

Some creative thinking is the only way we may ever get to expose many fans to the likes of: Suncoast Sound, Florida Wave, Ventures, Skyriders, Velvet Knights....etc etc!!!!

Edited by jonnyboy

The top corps are the top corps for a lot of reasons...one being that lots of people like them.

Don't feel guilty or anything that you voted for what you know. What else SHOULD you do?Unless they change the process, what we see is what we get, and it's pretty darn good.

I don't feel guilty for whom I voted. I'm just getting sick of people alluding to the fact that the younger demographic is "screwing up" the Classic Countdown. That's what it seems a lot of people are hinting. I wanted to let people know why I, a younger person, voted for the corps I did. People shouldn't blame the young ones for there not being old shows on the CC.

When I voted, I didn't have in mind- "OK, what do I consider classic." I voted thinking, "Ok, what are my favorite shows."

And I think many other people did the same.

Most fans today are just not knowledgeable enough about that era to have an interest in seeing it.
That is very profound.

Read that again and remember what he just said.

What he just said says everything about the people in today's DCI scene and at the same time it says nothing about the people in today's DCI scene.

This is the only activity I have ever seen that throws away its history, diminishes its past heroes, and marginalizes the accomplishments of years gone by..

Nearly all the people the writer calls "fans today" really aren't fans at all. They're just there for the moment and what they can derive from the moment, let's be honest.

You don't see real fans diminish the past. Talk to any real football/baseball/basketball fan and ask about, say, somebody's 1977 season. Without a blink, you'll get players, scores, statistics and more than you wanted to hear, and they're proud that they know those things. That's a fan.

In contrast, your DCI "fans today" mock and laugh at the rich history of D&BC. Look at your "Hall Of Fame" .... mostly all just schmoozing the current contemporary in-group people.

Why's your hobby dying? Look in the mirror.