Rochester Review NEEDED

I'm very anxious to hear an unbiased opinion of the performances last night. I was very impressed with those that I saw (Brigs, CRU, Erie).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will write a review when I get home tonight

I am with Gary on this one...I had huge fun at this show. I love the people from Erie and it was great to see them. Jeff Gibbens was on fire as usual in MacArthur Park and of course Mag 7. :rock: But I really was impressed with the sound that the T Birds get with limited numbers. Having worked there last summer, I know that is because they are ALL players!!! I am not sure if there are any nicer drum corps people than the T Birds (and of St. Joe's.) Nick played well on his solo work, and the mellophones really stood up tall without Bill Navarro being there. Erie's percussion is one the best in the Alumni circuit IMHO...and Joe Salorino is one of the classiest guys I have ever met. Jay P. still is one of the loudest baritone player I have ever heard.

Thanks for any compliments toward the work accomplished at St. Joe's, but it is the members that deserve the credit there. They bought into it and worked very hard to achieve not only 3 new pieces but a concept and style change as well. I would say that using the Alumni scale as a barometer, they really did play well last Saturday. They actually achieved the dynamics and musicality that was asked of them. Ron Bowks, Bob LaDuca and Harold McJury had as much to do with the teaching as I did.

I think Brad Dewall had his best Classic ever! He is the soloist from St. Joes with the shaved head, in case you dont know. He pretty much nailed everything. And yeah, Doug and Rod FINALLY hit the duet in Brazil, but dont say that too loud as it might go to their heads...(well maybe not Rod)...LOL. Jimmy DiPaola, Harold McJury, and Tom Ronan also nailed their solos in Temptation. These guys are "original" St. Joes from the junior corps in the sixties and early seventies, which is pretty cool.

St. Joes drum line showed up well for this gig too. I was extremely happy to hear them play the way they did. Larry Darch does a great job with that crew as well. The guard under the instruction of Diane Wilson also was a great part of the whole performance and they handled their work very well.

Thats my review...I was too busy changing costumes, running warm ups (and such) to comment on anything else. But it was a lot of FUN!!!

Donny

Edited by donnymusic

Well, here goes with my review of MSJ's Classic...first of all y'all have to know that I am a "retired" member of St. Joe's Alumni and may be somewhat biased...second of all I had been drinking all day with the Gauntleteers Alumni as we trekked down Route 104 "one stop at a time".

I missed the Rochester Jazz Orchestra so cannot comment.

Greece Central Marching Band did a great job with the Canadian and US National Anthems. The Gauntleteers favoured the audience with the words to "O Canada" during our anthem, the rest of the audience responded with an enthusiastic version of the "Star Spangled Banner", perhaps in response to us. Got the show off to a great start.

Ghost Riders seemed to put out a full mini corps with the exception of star soprano player Joe Pero who could not make the gig. Donny Allen stepped in to fill the void and did a GREAT job with the solos. A much more musical corps this year, GR will be a threat with this controlled show. I think they have a new percussionist on a kit and the drum parts are tasty but not over-bearing. Very nice guard work too that totally complimented the music. Always love Black Saddle. See you guys in North Tonawanda with my cowbells! Ace seemed confused as he began to play "Pagliacci" at the end of the show but slipped into the beautiful "Georgia" that he is known for with the corps backing him up with a wall of sound.

Accoustics play a big part at this venue and it was interesting to see how the corps approached the issue...it seems that keeping the horn line off the stage and down in front on the floor with percussion left on stage seemed to work best for us in the audience.

Prime Time Brass did not attend. Not sure why...I heard scheduling conflict.

Erie ThunderBirds...wow. Jeff Gibbens...wow. The Maynard Ferguson medley was off the charts...Jeff hit them all. McArthur Park is a favourite of mine and they were great. My math may be off because I was in the last row but I THINK I counted 27 brass with Erie...and it seemed to me there were more younger people in the corps than in the past, and this is a good thing when it comes to longevity. It appeared they were using a Legion Post color guard for their color presentation (YES...A COLOR PRESENTATION!) and they did march to a different drummer...but the effect of the boots, rifle with helmet resting on top, was not lost on this audience who were very appreciative of the image and thoughts this tableau generated. Big old fashioned drum line for T-Birds with snares and tenor and some nice work with the vibes which was unfortunately inaudible due to being placed on the floor. Always a threat at Mini Corps Championships...hell, these guys invented it.

Rochester Crusaders...60th Anniversary show. Let me say this, these people are going to make a statement. New uniforms were not ready I guess, as they appeared in white shirts and dark pants. This is the best Crusader drum corps in recent memory. Again, pardon my mis-count, but I thought there were about 30 horns out. Their "Russian Rhapsody" show is a winner with all very familiar music. I remember when "Troika" used to be known as "Sleigh Ride". Big brass sound that was well rehearsed and almost ready to hit the field today. Wonderful bass sound in "Great Gate of Kiev". The percussion section was full (I thought) and they are young...but they come right at you with real attitude! Best percussion section I have seen from this corps in recent memory too. A very young corps who will make a statement at DCA's and certainly carry forward in the coming years with the youth and vitality they have. You will like this corps!

White Sabers seemed smaller than last year. I think (again from the last row) that I counted about 20 brass. Only 2 snare, 1 quad and 3 bass. Their percussion was a real strength last year but did not seem really ready. They didn't really light up the place until "Moondance" and you could tell it was a piece they enjoyed playing. Checking their info in the program it seems like they have as many Caption Heads and Staff as they did uniformed members on stage. I like this corps and am pulling for them. I hope they will pick up some members once school is out. Keep pushing guys...you have a proud history (1928) and your hard work will pay off...lots of time yet.

Brigs were on next. Large pit in front of the stage was largely unheard, again just an acoustic thing. I think I counted 37 brass. Oh My God "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" was the lushest, most full (great grammar eh?) sound of the evening. Beautiful balance. The young lady baritone soloist in this piece was exceptional, as was her partner in the duet portion. I heard they expect and are writing for more brass members for summer competition. Large and clean percussion section. They seemed totally in control and confident. My buddies, who are sort of DCIish...thought they had a great show for this summer and can't wait to see them on the field so the visuals can help interpret the music. I would love this corps to play "Shenandoah" for a warm up or corps song.

MIGHTY ST. JOE's!! I had heard some discouraging things in the late fall and early winter but Holy Crap! This is the best book in years! I counted about 50 brass lined up across the front of the stage on the floor, wall to wall. Percussion and guard on stage. Nostalgia opener of "Somethings Coming" with little tid bits of old Joe's classics woven thru the piece is a well written and driving blast from the past. Please come off the old starting line this year with this! Brad DeWaal had his high, loud face on Saturday night. High and sweet but what power behind that bell. The other leads were powerful, trading solos amongst each other. Some of the un-sung workhorses in that line are Tommy Ronan, Harold McJury (ok, he will never let himself be un-sung) and Mike DiMuro and Bernie Riley. The sections seemed larger this year too (numbers, not weight) with a full baritone line for the first time in a while. Great to see Larry Keppel up and about and playing contra along with Dave Gailey who flew in from Phoenix to do the gig. "Brazil" is swinging and understated until the horn line lets loose and "Temptation" is a keeper. You can tell this is ALL music the members love to play. That's important in Alumni Drum Corps. I had heard rumours of percussion troubles in the late fall but don't listen to them...full line of about 7 snare, 4 tenor, 3 bass and a bunch of wild women on cymbals (Sorry Sammy...you're a wild man) Smaller guard than usual but very nice work which complimented the music well. Love the POW-MIA flag in the honour guard. "Bully" closed the show to a standing ovation. This is a better corps than last year. I think it is the choice of music...you can just tell these guys want to play this stuff.

A well run show as always...good venue, not the Kodak Centre but I am sure the price is better. Did not make the corps party after the show...we were just beered out having run the guantlet across up-state NY. Join us next year for our 10th anniversary run?

Hope I was accurate with the numbers, I did not make notes but thought you all might enjoy a little more thorough look at the show from a spectators blurry eyes.

Ok here's my take. I'm going to be honest and give the best overall and unbiased review that I can

Rochester Jazz Orchestra - Good opening to the evening. Provided great music for folks to walk in during. I didn't know that they were going on at 6:30 and I thought the show started at 7 so I got there about 10 minutes into their performance. Seemed like a decent jazz combo for the area. Vocalist needed her mic turned up, could barely hear her in Land of Make Believe and I was only about 10 rows up.

Greece Central Marching Band did a good job with the anthems. Once again props to the lone Sousaphone out there. Must be tough being the only person playing one of the most distinctive horns out there. Good job and good luck with the NYSFBA this year.

Ghost Riders - This has always been one of my favorite mini-corps out there. I got to meet some of them when Mansfield U's band played at the Rochester International Marine Tattoo and I saw some familiar faces up there. I was disappointed to see that Joey wasn't with his group as he is definitely an integral part of that organization. Also surprised to see Ace and his amazing work with Georgia playing with the Ghost Riders (Don't know if there's a story I don't know but wasn't he with MSJ last year?) Overall a good performance for the Ghost Riders.

Also sad to hear that PTB wasn't there, one of my favorite parts of last years show.

Erie ThunderBirds - Loved the Maynard Tribute. If you're going to do a tribute it had better be good, and the soloist (apparently his name is Jeff Gibbens) did a FANTASTIC job. Amazing stuff from him. Also that first note of the show was AMAZING. Wall of sound that I didn't hear from any other line that night. Excellent show.

Rochester Crusaders. - I said it last year, this corps will make a push for finals. First off I loved the Baritones in this corps. A very good section. The drumline looked very young (with the exception of the bass line) but they didn't play young. Very energizing solo had the crowd cheering. A very well rounded corps with a good show idea and a dedication that is true. Only negative I will say is that if a sop is going to try for a high note, make sure you have it before you try it and most of all if you miss, don't show everyone it was you. All and all a very pleasant show, best of luck this year Cru!

White Sabers - As I stated earlier I'm going to be honest. White Sabers disappointed me this year. Last year's show was amazing and was definitely worthy of the 2nd place at DCA's. This year the hornline seemed scared. In their piece from "Gladiator" everyone's sound seemed really tense. When you loosened up and played "Moondance" it was a lot better and more relaxed. Obviously as someone stated earlier the drumline was incredibly small, I don't know if that was due to people's absences or what but I hope that you guys get some more players somewhere down the road here. I honestly think that the style of music you are playing doesn't really fit your hornline. Like I said when it was loose you played like it. Best news is that there is nothing that is wrong with the corps that can't be fixed by finals time. This corps has a special place for me with it being the closest corps to Mansfield University (*cough put up some fliers cough*) and I wish you guys nothing but the best.

Syracuse Brigadiers - I am on record saying that I did not like their 2004-2006 productions. I am also on record as saying that 2001 is one of my all time favorite drum corps shows ever. This show has the potential to be one of the latter for me. A "Greatest hits" mix if you will of classic brigs stuff that boarders on amazing. "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is just as beautiful now as it was then, Genevieve(I believe that's who that was) was absolutely amazing, easily top 3 all time DCA bari/euph soloist. I'm a huge fan of Spanish Fantasy and unfortunately I have to say this.... I miss Roland. While the trumpets you have playing the solos and fills are doing a good job they do not project as well as some of the soloists in the past. I'm not saying it sounds bad, but it just doesn't have that UMPH that the previous version did. Everyone can't march with every corps so you play what you've got and you did a nice job. Definitely a top 5 show at this point, great work!

MSJ - The wonderful hosts. As always they brought the house down. Brad Dewall was absolutely fantastic. Not to take away from any of the other soloists but he was hands down the best on Saturday night. Very entertaining show. Good to see some of the old charts coming back from days gone by. As a huge fan of pre-90's drum corps this corps really brings the music I like to hear to the table. The hornline was fantastic with huge props to the mellos who had some definitely rippin' parts! Drumline has that "old school" feel about it and it definitely keeps the beat moving. If I could say one thing about this performance it would be that if it's your home show I would be prepared for an encore. I'm not sure if Bully was supposed to be the encore but I was ecstatic at the end of Bully and wanted more. It was kinda difficult to leave without just one more goodbye! Overall though this was my favorite show of the night, just like last year.

All in all I look forward to this show all year and this might be the last year I'm attending (graduation isn't all it's cracked up to be...). The people were all friendly (I mean, a guy in a Bucs jacket in Rochester fits in about as well as a fox in the hen house :) ) and the corps are always good. I personally thought the 15 dollar price tag was a little much, but then again everything costs money these days. Best of luck to all the corps and bands who were out there on the stage on saturday. I hope I didn't offend anyone with this review and I hope to see you all around sometime soon!

Andrew "Buff" Buffenmyer

Edited by BucsBuff