Rochester Review NEEDED

Thank you all for your reviews and I'm glad you enjoyed our production :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im glad everyone enjoyed the show

Rochester Crusaders...60th Anniversary show. Let me say this, these people are going to make a statement. New uniforms were not ready I guess, as they appeared in white shirts and dark pants. This is the best Crusader drum corps in recent memory. Again, pardon my mis-count, but I thought there were about 30 horns out. Their "Russian Rhapsody" show is a winner with all very familiar music. I remember when "Troika" used to be known as "Sleigh Ride". Big brass sound that was well rehearsed and almost ready to hit the field today. Wonderful bass sound in "Great Gate of Kiev". The percussion section was full (I thought) and they are young...but they come right at you with real attitude! Best percussion section I have seen from this corps in recent memory too. A very young corps who will make a statement at DCA's and certainly carry forward in the coming years with the youth and vitality they have. You will like this corps!

we were missing two snares

MSJ - The wonderful hosts. As always they brought the house down. Brad Dewall was absolutely fantastic. Not to take away from any of the other soloists but he was hands down the best on Saturday night. Very entertaining show. Good to see some of the old charts coming back from days gone by. As a huge fan of pre-90's drum corps this corps really brings the music I like to hear to the table. The hornline was fantastic with huge props to the mellos who had some definitely rippin' parts! Drumline has that "old school" feel about it and it definitely keeps the beat moving. If I could say one thing about this performance it would be that if it's your home show I would be prepared for an encore. I'm not sure if Bully was supposed to be the encore but I was ecstatic at the end of Bully and wanted more. It was kinda difficult to leave without just one more goodbye! Overall though this was my favorite show of the night, just like last year.

Buff

MIGHTY ST. JOE's!! I had heard some discouraging things in the late fall and early winter but Holy Crap! This is the best book in years! I counted about 50 brass lined up across the front of the stage on the floor, wall to wall. Percussion and guard on stage. Nostalgia opener of "Somethings Coming" with little tid bits of old Joe's classics woven thru the piece is a well written and driving blast from the past. Please come off the old starting line this year with this! Brad DeWaal had his high, loud face on Saturday night. High and sweet but what power behind that bell. The other leads were powerful, trading solos amongst each other. Some of the un-sung workhorses in that line are Tommy Ronan, Harold McJury (ok, he will never let himself be un-sung) and Mike DiMuro and Bernie Riley. The sections seemed larger this year too (numbers, not weight) with a full baritone line for the first time in a while. Great to see Larry Keppel up and about and playing contra along with Dave Gailey who flew in from Phoenix to do the gig. "Brazil" is swinging and understated until the horn line lets loose and "Temptation" is a keeper. You can tell this is ALL music the members love to play. That's important in Alumni Drum Corps. I had heard rumours of percussion troubles in the late fall but don't listen to them...full line of about 7 snare, 4 tenor, 3 bass and a bunch of wild women on cymbals (Sorry Sammy...you're a wild man) Smaller guard than usual but very nice work which complimented the music well. Love the POW-MIA flag in the honour guard. "Bully" closed the show to a standing ovation. This is a better corps than last year. I think it is the choice of music...you can just tell these guys want to play this stuff.

Bruce

Let me just start off by saying 'Thank You Buff & Bruce' from all of MSJ for the wonderful reviews. This has been, at times, a very trying off-season with lots going on in the corps; the loss of 2 wonderfully dedicated MSJ family members, much new music, the difficulties with recruiting new members (as all of DC knows) and most recently some very serious illnesses amongst our ranks. We owe our performance to a lot of great DC people this year, those determined to continue the successful ways of this great organization, and that's each and every member who put on that uniform Saturday night at the Classic to entertain a very loud and appreciative DC audience.

I'd also like to say that it is a privilege to play in a house with so many great organizations. You all contributed a major roll in making this years Classic a tremendous success. And Buff, next year we will have an encore for you and the others, hopefully you didn't leave the aud unfulfilled.

One last thing, Ford and Lois, this one was for you. Your smiles and friendship drive us! Get well Ford so Lois can get back to MSJ and we can discuss why you ever had to show up with that black driving cap that has now become somewhat of a part of our uniform. And as rumor has it, maybe you'll be able to play the Bari when you return........

Donny, you really know DC. Thank you!

For all of the members and followers of MSJ, it will only get better. Just think, we start drill this coming Sunday.

I’m not sure I should reply, but what the heck. As director of the White Sabers, I have to say that we were not disappointed in our performance. Yes, we have work to do, but in spite of the 95% turnover in the drum line, 50% turnover in the horn line, we still performed well in our opinion. We had 8 people missing due to college and High school commitments. We had one other person out due to health reasons. We currently have 7 people in the pit. The pit was not ready to perform, but with Jenn Gonyea at the helm, I see no problems with them being ready and better than last year. We will be getting bigger and better as we progress through May and June and we will be ready by the first show.

In reference to the comment above about our staff, we hired a staff this year that could handle a lot of new people. These people have the expertise to handle these types of challenges. They also have the experience to produce a 'Gladiator' type of show.

Our show - 'The Gladiator' is actually a well thought out concept. We didn't play much of it at the Classic because we didn't want to give it all away. We played segments one and three out of four segments. We feel confident that it will work with the crowd and the judges. Our caption heads and designers/arrangers - Mike Tierney, Dennis Morris, Brian Ballard, Dan Jones, Gifford Howarth and Ben Chaffee are very very good at what they do. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you see us on the 50 at the July 7th Rochester show!

Thanks for the constructive remarks.

Mark

I greatly look forward to seeing it on the field this summer! :)

I’m not sure I should reply, but what the heck. As director of the White Sabers, I have to say that we were not disappointed in our performance. Yes, we have work to do, but in spite of the 95% turnover in the drum line, 50% turnover in the horn line, we still performed well in our opinion. We had 8 people missing due to college and High school commitments. We had one other person out due to health reasons. We currently have 7 people in the pit. The pit was not ready to perform, but with Jenn Gonyea at the helm, I see no problems with them being ready and better than last year. We will be getting bigger and better as we progress through May and June and we will be ready by the first show.

In reference to the comment above about our staff, we hired a staff this year that could handle a lot of new people. These people have the expertise to handle these types of challenges. They also have the experience to produce a 'Gladiator' type of show.

Our show - 'The Gladiator' is actually a well thought out concept. We didn't play much of it at the Classic because we didn't want to give it all away. We played segments one and three out of four segments. We feel confident that it will work with the crowd and the judges. Our caption heads and designers/arrangers - Mike Tierney, Dennis Morris, Brian Ballard, Dan Jones, Gifford Howarth and Ben Chaffee are very very good at what they do. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you see us on the 50 at the July 7th Rochester show!

Mark

Mark

Of course you should reply Mark...your remarks have cleared up a couple of questions about the corps and we will be cheering for you when you hit the field in competition. As I had mentioned, your corps has a long, proud history and I am sure you will be continuing the tradition.

Thanks for the reply.

Bruce.

Ok here's my take. I'm going to be honest and give the best overall and unbiased review that I can

Rochester Jazz Orchestra - Good opening to the evening. Provided great music for folks to walk in during. I didn't know that they were going on at 6:30 and I thought the show started at 7 so I got there about 10 minutes into their performance. Seemed like a decent jazz combo for the area. Vocalist needed her mic turned up, could barely hear her in Land of Make Believe and I was only about 10 rows up.

Greece Central Marching Band did a good job with the anthems. Once again props to the lone Sousaphone out there. Must be tough being the only person playing one of the most distinctive horns out there. Good job and good luck with the NYSFBA this year.

Ghost Riders - This has always been one of my favorite mini-corps out there. I got to meet some of them when Mansfield U's band played at the Rochester International Marine Tattoo and I saw some familiar faces up there. I was disappointed to see that Joey wasn't with his group as he is definitely an integral part of that organization. Also surprised to see Ace and his amazing work with Georgia playing with the Ghost Riders (Don't know if there's a story I don't know but wasn't he with MSJ last year?) Overall a good performance for the Ghost Riders.

Also sad to hear that PTB wasn't there, one of my favorite parts of last years show.

Erie ThunderBirds - Loved the Maynard Tribute. If you're going to do a tribute it had better be good, and the soloist (apparently his name is Jeff Gibbens) did a FANTASTIC job. Amazing stuff from him. Also that first note of the show was AMAZING. Wall of sound that I didn't hear from any other line that night. Excellent show.

Rochester Crusaders. - I said it last year, this corps will make a push for finals. First off I loved the Baritones in this corps. A very good section. The drumline looked very young (with the exception of the bass line) but they didn't play young. Very energizing solo had the crowd cheering. A very well rounded corps with a good show idea and a dedication that is true. Only negative I will say is that if a sop is going to try for a high note, make sure you have it before you try it and most of all if you miss, don't show everyone it was you. All and all a very pleasant show, best of luck this year Cru!

White Sabers - As I stated earlier I'm going to be honest. White Sabers disappointed me this year. Last year's show was amazing and was definitely worthy of the 2nd place at DCA's. This year the hornline seemed scared. In their piece from "Gladiator" everyone's sound seemed really tense. When you loosened up and played "Moondance" it was a lot better and more relaxed. Obviously as someone stated earlier the drumline was incredibly small, I don't know if that was due to people's absences or what but I hope that you guys get some more players somewhere down the road here. I honestly think that the style of music you are playing doesn't really fit your hornline. Like I said when it was loose you played like it. Best news is that there is nothing that is wrong with the corps that can't be fixed by finals time. This corps has a special place for me with it being the closest corps to Mansfield University (*cough put up some fliers cough*) and I wish you guys nothing but the best.

Syracuse Brigadiers - I am on record saying that I did not like their 2004-2006 productions. I am also on record as saying that 2001 is one of my all time favorite drum corps shows ever. This show has the potential to be one of the latter for me. A "Greatest hits" mix if you will of classic brigs stuff that boarders on amazing. "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is just as beautiful now as it was then, Guenevere (I believe that's who that was) was absolutely amazing, easily top 3 all time DCA bari/euph soloist. I'm a huge fan of Spanish Fantasy and unfortunately I have to say this.... I miss Roland. While the trumpets you have playing the solos and fills are doing a good job they do not project as well as some of the soloists in the past. I'm not saying it sounds bad, but it just doesn't have that UMPH that the previous version did. Everyone can't march with every corps so you play what you've got and you did a nice job. Definitely a top 5 show at this point, great work!

MSJ - The wonderful hosts. As always they brought the house down. Brad Dewall was absolutely fantastic. Not to take away from any of the other soloists but he was hands down the best on Saturday night. Very entertaining show. Good to see some of the old charts coming back from days gone by. As a huge fan of pre-90's drum corps this corps really brings the music I like to hear to the table. The hornline was fantastic with huge props to the mellos who had some definitely rippin' parts! Drumline has that "old school" feel about it and it definitely keeps the beat moving. If I could say one thing about this performance it would be that if it's your home show I would be prepared for an encore. I'm not sure if Bully was supposed to be the encore but I was ecstatic at the end of Bully and wanted more. It was kinda difficult to leave without just one more goodbye! Overall though this was my favorite show of the night, just like last year.

All in all I look forward to this show all year and this might be the last year I'm attending (graduation isn't all it's cracked up to be...). The people were all friendly (I mean, a guy in a Bucs jacket in Rochester fits in about as well as a fox in the hen house :) ) and the corps are always good. I personally thought the 15 dollar price tag was a little much, but then again everything costs money these days. Best of luck to all the corps and bands who were out there on the stage on saturday. I hope I didn't offend anyone with this review and I hope to see you all around sometime soon!

Andrew "Buff" Buffenmyer

I would just like to state with my deepest appollogizes after talking to bucsbuff that i misinterpreted what he said and my deepests appologies to the members of the Rochester Crusaders for my opinions on there preformance.

Edited by kylejsoccer

Edited by BucsBuff