Any reviews from South Milwaukee?

So the whole reason you started this thread was to look for reasons to bag on Pioneer? Nice.

Mike

Don't hurt yourself jumping to conclusions but you've had a lot of practice i have been a long time supporter of the corps, just frustrated at thier inabilities to progress

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are killing me...

Forget the review... A majority of the show/concert will be available online within the next day or so. I'm in the process of piecing together all of footage and hope to have the finished product online tonight or tomorrow. Everyone can watch and judge from that.

thanks, that's always best.

Don't hurt yourself jumping to conclusions but you've had a lot of practice i have been a long time supporter of the corps, just frustrated at thier inabilities to progress

Why do we....I use "we" loosely..... go here every year. Yeah they have had small hornline numbers the past few years. I think their biggest problem is getting kids to stay. From what I understand many kids go to Pioneer...... learn...... which is obviously the point of drum corps.... right.... to educate.... and then move on. They dont retain the members they should, which is sad for their corps.

I was at the concert and enjoyed it. So they had 20 something horns there. They are still enjoyable.

I still look forward to seeing them every year. I look forward to every corps.

Remember education comes first, so if Pioneer is educating 24 hornplayers this season..... atleast they are acheiving the intent of corps.

Sounded great for an early season concert.. :)

I've always liked the Irish themed shows and the commitment to tradition.

I guess I'm missing something but as long as kids keep showing up, have a good time marching and no one is getting hurt who really gives a $%# what Pioneer does. More power to em...

One of the things that has been hidden from the drum corps community is Pioneer's status with dci. Ever since dci took over dcm. The whole relationship between dci and Roman Blenski is, from a members point of view, slightly controvertial. Seeing Pioneer 05 in the summer made me realize that judges bag on pioneer just because they aren't full and don't focus on what the members bring out on the field. It's sad dci and the judging society don't appreciate the things the members can't control. I can guaranty everyone Pioneer is one of the hardest working corps that is still active and always brings "heart", possibly the most heart in dci, in whatever they do. I love the music Pioneer is playing this summer!!

"just to let everyone know......i know i'm one of the people that left........long story.......lets just say there's a reason i march scouts"

Edited by Cdatedms

One of the things that has been hidden from the drum corps community is Pioneer's status with dci. Ever since dci took over dcm. The whole relationship between dci and Roman Blenski is, from a members point of view, slightly controvertial. Seeing Pioneer 05 in the summer made me realize that judges bag on pioneer just because they aren't full and don't focus on what the members bring out on the field. It's sad dci and the judging society don't appreciate the things the members can't control. I can guaranty everyone Pioneer is one of the hardest working corps that is still active and always brings "heart", possibly the most heart in dci, in whatever they do. I love the music Pioneer is playing this summer!!

"just to let everyone know......i know i'm one of the people that left........long story.......lets just say there's a reason i march scouts"

you couldn't be more wrong. judges don't "bag" on any corps. what a blatant misrepresntation of the judging community. Have you ever listened to the tapes from Pioneer?

Here's the continual issue with Pioneer and their performance. A small weak hornline cannot balance a full Div 1, 9-4-5 drumline. There have always been balance and endurance issues with the brass. That is to be expected with a young, small hornline.

Next, they march like a young corps. The old saying goes, you can't teach a 15 year old rookie to march like a 19 year old vet. Only experience can do that.

The g bugles are not the issue as far as on the field performance, it's most likely becoming more and more of a recruiting obstacle. At least that's my opinion.

Finally, they've struggled to field a 30+ person guard which is really becoming more and more neccessary.

It's very hard to tell where their hornline is from viewing and listening to the concert. Also, it's hard to tell how this will sound when they are moving on the field. But, I could clearly hear, once again, the drums outplaying the brass...technique wise, ability, balance. The brass are going to have to take huge leaps to move to the level where the drums already are.