Any reviews from South Milwaukee?

I'll also defend the original version of the current uniform when we had the khaki pants with the spats. They were unique, something that's not often found now days in many of the uniforms in drum corps or even marching band.

Yes, they certainly were unique.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have hit on somewhat of an area here. If you look at our most successful section, it is the percussion section. And if you look at the staff in that section, it's had the lowest staff turnover rate out of all of the sections. Mickey Hartzog was caption head for years, and now Stuart Spoon (who worked right under Mickey) has taken over as caption head. There has been a certain continuity within that section's staff that extends almost 10 years. On the flip side, the rest of the captions have seen that "revolving door" effect. Staffers come on, do two or three years, and then move on... either to bigger/better corps or on to other things in life. So, in that respect, I guess this could be somewhat of an issue in the long run. But, I will say this, the majority of the staff members put their heart and soul into both the show and the kids... regardless of whether they're planning on being with Pioneer long term or short term. But I can see where you're coming from. Heck, I had 4 different marching styles in my 8 years with Pioneer. So I can definitely understand where the continuity issue could have a big effect!

What needs to be determined is why the people who come and don't stay, don't stay. There have been some excellent people go thru the organization. Tom Acheson, Dave Campbell, Pat Seidling, Ed Warren, Rick Morey all who have been successful else where. The corps is entitled to choose it's direction and asperation however as some other people pointed out is it fair to show sponsors, members or any others affected by it.

"The whole relationship between dci and Roman Blenski is, from a members point of view, slightly controvertial. <snip> i'm one of the people that left........long story.......lets just say there's a reason i march scouts"
I'd be interested to hear some details. Thanks.

IMO, judging from what I have heard and read thus far about the 2007 Pioneers, it would be safe to assume that they will probably retain their status quo on the field of competition again this summer.

I believe you are correct...the low end of Div . I. Their drumline may keep them out of last place, but I think it will be close.

I personally think this could be a very good year for Pioneer.......with Larry Kerchner arranging the music..and from what I know Mike Medonia back as the brass caption head....I'm biased, though, since I'm marching Pioneer.....

I personally think this could be a very good year for Pioneer.......with Larry Kerchner arranging the music..and from what I know Mike Medonia back as the brass caption head....I'm biased, though, since I'm marching Pioneer.....

Unless Kerchner and Medonia are suiting up and marching, it ain't gonna help.

Pioneer needs bodies to teach more than who's teaching them.

I mean on the outside...if you are talking 35 horns...and right now that's a huge stretch....that's only about half of what the top 12 corps are going to field. And they have to balance a full size Div. I drum line.

Horn players...if you are searching for a summer gig....Pioneer needs you.

if you are talking 35 horns...and right now that's a huge stretch

not really. i just got a copy of the finalized brass roster in my email, the numbers they are writing the drill to. just because we put our members school responsibilities over a sunday afternoon performance at a camp doesn't mean that 35 horns is a stretch.

it's true that we need more hornline members, and we're no where near 64...but 35 is not a stretch from what i've just received.

just wanted to get some solid evidence up here...it's mostly been a lot of speculation as to numbers, which usually only hurts instead of helps..

What needs to be determined is why the people who come and don't stay, don't stay. There have been some excellent people go thru the organization. Tom Acheson, Dave Campbell, Pat Seidling, Ed Warren, Rick Morey all who have been successful else where. The corps is entitled to choose it's direction and asperation however as some other people pointed out is it fair to show sponsors, members or any others affected by it.

For some reason this got cut off last time. My guess is the amount paid to staff and the input they are allowed into aspects that affect the corps progression.

not really. i just got a copy of the finalized brass roster in my email, the numbers they are writing the drill to. just because we put our members school responsibilities over a sunday afternoon performance at a camp doesn't mean that 35 horns is a stretch.

it's true that we need more hornline members, and we're no where near 64...but 35 is not a stretch from what i've just received.

just wanted to get some solid evidence up here...it's mostly been a lot of speculation as to numbers, which usually only hurts instead of helps..

Megan:

I will defer to your information since you have the roster and the drill pages...however, I'm no novice at this. Rosters for every corps I've been with contain names of brass players who never march one performance in uniform. When someone writes drill for May, holes can be closed in July for the missing "dots."

I usually judge by....now in May....who's coming to all days...or the Memorial Day camp. Then I fudge by a couple of members who may join as we go down the road. If your corps does that. So we'll see when all days hit and then we'll all know. Right now, I'm speculating from the first public performance. And it's all speculation at this point.