Drugs in drum corps

I just can't believe drum corps has come to this. That is why I left competitive drum corps and now march to serve our country.

Ah naivete...and generalization.

You left competitive drum corps because you chose to. It was obviosly not for you, as you were never able to find a corps home.

FYI there were drugs in your high school, your college, etc. I bet some of your BAA buddies light up the joints once in a while. I'll put $$ on it

Drum corps is not immune to drugs.

Every drum corps I have ever been a part of would KICK YOUR ### OUT if you were caught with illegal drugs. PERIOD.

I am sorry that you were unable to have a great experience in the competitive drum corps world, but to make such statements is ridiculous.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did my own 15 year study. The results were quite conclusive. It was really, really stupid and the only thing it cured me of was overachieving. :worthy:

I conducted similar research :worthy: .

I just can't believe drum corps has come to this. That is why I left competitive drum corps and now march to serve our country.

I just signed up to serve. What a great idea. Never heard of this before. As a pastor, I have done a lot of military funerals, and lately they have been using this fake bugle that looks like a flugel horn and it has a recording built into it. Sounds terrible and the guy faking the playing keeps breathing in the middle of phrases.

Ah naivete...and generalization.

You left competitive drum corps because you chose to. It was obviosly not for you, as you were never able to find a corps home.

FYI there were drugs in your high school, your college, etc. I bet some of your BAA buddies light up the joints once in a while. I'll put $$ on it

Drum corps is not immune to drugs.

Every drum corps I have ever been a part of would KICK YOUR ### OUT if you were caught with illegal drugs. PERIOD.

I am sorry that you were unable to have a great experience in the competitive drum corps world, but to make such statements is ridiculous.

But the point of the thread is not whether a corps would kick you out for drug use. The point is, what are the corps doing to weed out (don't laugh) the users. It's one thing to say they will be tough on drug use "if anybody gets caught." My point is this: What are they actively doing to do the catching. If you just wait for some kid to walk up to the director and say, "by the way, I have some weed on the bus. Is that a problem?" then it ain't gonna happen. But let that same kid and a few buddies be getting high behind their housing site and have a rep from the sight happen by, and that director sure as can be is going to wish he had done more to find the problem himself.

I hope you never plan on going to college then or you are in for a BIG surprise

But the point of the thread is not whether a corps would kick you out for drug use. The point is, what are the corps doing to weed out (don't laugh) the users. It's one thing to say they will be tough on drug use "if anybody gets caught." My point is this: What are they actively doing to do the catching. If you just wait for some kid to walk up to the director and say, "by the way, I have some weed on the bus. Is that a problem?" then it ain't gonna happen. But let that same kid and a few buddies be getting high behind their housing site and have a rep from the sight happen by, and that director sure as can be is going to wish he had done more to find the problem himself.

Are you trying to say that if anyone is using drugs while in corps that the management isn't doing enough? That's quite a burden to place if that is what you are saying.

But the point of the thread is not whether a corps would kick you out for drug use. The point is, what are the corps doing to weed out (don't laugh) the users.

But are drum corps really responsible for being pro-active to this? I don't think they should have to be. It's understood the consequences and really, that's all they need to do. Someone breaks the rules, it gets handled as stated before. But until the rules are broken, why should they have to pro-active, past telling everyone ahead of time to not be stupid?

True.

In my time in the activity, if a member was doing drugs, their were signs to it. There were the kids you always suspected of it. Don't think those kids wern't scutuinized a little bit more..

The reality is this. Kids today sign member contracts. All of these contracts say that use if illegal substances is grounds for dismissal from the corps. Every manager that I have had contact with has made it abundantly clear that such behavior will not be tolerated in any way shape or form. They also provide an atmosphere where use of such substance is rare.

This doesn't mean that every corps has a #### head that thinks he is smarter then the corps managment. Sadly, some of these kids choose to make the wrong decisions.

Management will react the best way they can.

To me