Loudest Crowd Reaction

I'm going with the '63 Dream, along with my colleagues above. All the performances were excellent and warmly received, but Kevin's and Sky were off the map, and my friends nailed the exact moments in their answers.

It's funny, but whenever anyone references Martin Luther King's speech, "I Have a Dream", I see his face, but I hear Roosevelt Stadium that Sunday.

Edited by ironlips

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going with the '63 Dream, along with my colleagues above. All the performances were excellent and warmly received, but Kevin's and Sky were off the map, and my friends nailed the exact moments in their answers.

It's funny, but whenever anyone references Martin Luther King's speech, "I Have a Dream", I see his face, but I hear Roosevelt Stadium that Sunday.

Hey Frank. yup, I agree. Kevin's and Sky definitely nailed their performances that day and Archie wasn't too shabby either!

Apparently, the guys with the clipboards saw the results way differently than the paying public. 25 thousand or more screaming fans voicing their disapproval of the 'results' (although to be fair, there were some fans who agreed) led to quite a few folks coming out of the stands, and I was one of them.

And like Mike said, Jim Salamone had to step in and calm down the good Fr. Wojtycha and the local gendarmes who were really trying to have the entire Skyliner corps placed under arrest for inciting a riot! Most folks would have said the guys in the khakis were the incitors, not the corps. A very entertaining day of drum corps all around, but it could have been better if the people's choices were in the winner's circle. C'est la vie.

Ray

Pretty well every single one of Grenadiers drum solos got people on their feet cheering.

That's cool ... it is very difficult to get a standing ovation from a drum solo.

The all-time masters were the Bridgemen.

Two of the loudest crowd reactions I can remember from any year of DCA happened in 2003, when Renegades penalty was announced (The Loudest Boo on Earth), and in 2004 when the corps got 6 standing ovations in one show.

Disclaimer: Living out West, and teaching another corps, I rarely get to see other DCA corps perform. The other day, I was trying to figure out the last time I had actually seen the Bushwackers perform ... I think it was 1983 ... when I was in high school, marching in the Bucs!! (true story ... not a slam).

2004 Renegades. I was in the crowd during Prelims. By the end of the performance I had decided I was moving to California :)

I have to say 2000 Skyliners - DCA Finals. We were back and the crowd let us know it !

Edited by lcarbonell

Boy I don't know, there's been a bunch of great moments that I've witnessed...

1966 AL Nationals, Washington DC: 30K druken Legionaires went wild at the end of the Hurcs color pre.

1994 DCA Finals, Scranton PA: Standing on the hill in back of the stadium waiting to go on. The crowd was throwing babies at the Cabs!

1997 Most Places: Brigs encore...Space Chords. They loved it!

2005 Most Places: Bucs Adagio...just a wall of sound!

1980 thru present Everywhere: Blousemen's entire show

I'm sure there's lots more but too many after show "Golden Anniversary Ices" burned out the memory a little...

Wink

1971 Dream Contest....I was marching with Blue Rock, during our full horn line wheel during "Requiem for the Masses" the crowd starts roaring and doesn't stop until a full minute after our last note! All 9 lead sops nailed the double "G" last note -something that could only be attributed to the adrenaline rush from the crowd response. My chin still quivers 36 years later when I hear that recording.

RCC

I'd say that was our most emotional performance ever. But the biggest crowd response I've ever seen was 1997 DCM Finals in DeKalb. Most babies ever thrown at us. :)

And a close second was when they announced the runner-up Senior corps.

Edited by Brassop