Lawsuit over marching technique ? ?

El Stupido! Reading closely, it looks like Bush got fired after writing the show, then a new director stepped in and didn't know any better.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buck McKinney...the attorney's name pops up again! This is the same guy that was pushing lawsuits against small bands for borderline copyright infringement (and it was BORDERLINE) claims in order to scare the bejeesus out of tiny school systems to the point of getting cash settlements...until he fooled with a small school in a very large district...and got counter-sued. This guy was living in a van until he tried this... <**>

Looks like he found another way to try to leech off the legal system...who is he going to try to sue...God for making feet? Cesario for copyright infringement for clothes?

Well, if the guy had a patent on whatever it is he's suing over, or said specifically he was licensing the move to the band, he'd have a case. I'm guessing he has neither and it looks like he has a formula for a whopping loss in court.

What an idiot.

Also, aren't techinques impossible to patent or copyright? Isn't that one of the rules at the US Patent Office?

No disrespect to Marc cause I love him, but he didn't invent the roll step. I can't tell you who did...maybe one of the "older" guys can.

I know that he didn't invent the roll step, but I believe he did invent stop and goes or something like that that lots of people use

Well, if the guy had a patent on whatever it is he's suing over, or said specifically he was licensing the move to the band, he'd have a case. I'm guessing he has neither and it looks like he has a formula for a whopping loss in court.

What an idiot.

Also, aren't techinques impossible to patent or copyright? Isn't that one of the rules at the US Patent Office?

You are right. And in reading the article, it is not about a drill..it is simply technique. Which I am willing to bet the house he picked it up from someone else.

The template for Buck's method is all over this lawsuit. Sue for a ridiculous amount to scare hades out of the legal department; then offer to settle in order to 'cut losses.' When he has to go to court it disappears. Buck McKinney has a rep for that in the instrumental field; and at best he is on the fringe of ethics. At worst he is a ba##washing ba####d.

I know...I had two friends who had to deal with this clown. One's system got scared and settled over his protests; the other counter-sued and the suit went away. Both were on copyright infringement; and both were invalid. This is our legal system at its worst. <**>

I know that he didn't invent the roll step, but I believe he did invent stop and goes or something like that that lots of people use

Oh, okay, now that I didn't know, thanks for telling me. I thought you were referring to the roll step.

What is the "stop and goes" is that some technique that was used in the 90's or something?

Oh, okay, now that I didn't know, thanks for telling me. I thought you were referring to the roll step.

What is the "stop and goes" is that some technique that was used in the 90's or something?

a stop and go is when you are reversing directions (either forward to back or vice versa) and instead of taking the final step forward and doing what I've always heard called a rock and roll change of direction, you basically keep the weight on the back foot and don't put any weight into the final step. You hold for one count and then move the front foot back for count 2.

It's a lot easier to show than to explain, hah