Best corps not to win their own championship...

Since 1972, there have only been 7 Corps to win it all

-Kingsmen

-Santa Clara

-Madison

-Concord

-Garfield/Cadets of Bergen County/YEA! Cadets

-Star of Indiana

-Rosemont

It's really amazing considering there have been scores and scores of corps competing for the DCI title. So, what corps has performed the best, but have yet to win a championship of their own?

In my opinion, it's no contest: The Phantom Regiment. Throughout their history, they've been the offical "brides maid" of Drum Corps International. They've been in the top four 17 times and they've won siver 5 times. The Phantom Regiment is (in my opinion) what a drum corps should be. Yes, they tied with the Blue Devils once, but they could have won it all on several other occasions, especially this year.

Honorable mention: 27th Lancers

they tied for first, i'd consider that winning it all, but i'd have to say Spirit of Atlanta or the bridgemen, as both got close several times but failed to achieve a first place victory at DCI

You mentioned the Devils in your post, but forgot to list them. They won a bunch of championships. However, you make a good point. In the 35 year history of DCI, only 9 different corps ever won, including the ties. That's nine out of how many finalists (42?) to ever compete in DCI Finals? Interesting point.

You mentioned the Devils in your post, but forgot to list them. They won a bunch of championships. However, you make a good point. In the 35 year history of DCI, only 9 different corps ever won, including the ties. That's nine out of how many finalists (42?) to ever compete in DCI Finals? Interesting point.

I think I did list the Devils. I just addressed them by the city they hail from.

bluecoats

I throw in a second vote for Spirit of Atlanta. Had the cards been different....ah, well.

Yes, they tied with the Blue Devils once, but they could have won it all on several other occasions, especially this year.

PR has never totally dominated a season the way that Devils, Madison, Cavaliers, Garfield, and SCV have. Each of those corps had a least one championship year in which you knew the first time you saw them that THEY were gonna win it all. PR hasn't put together that package yet. IMHO, they'll need to be a little more ready early in the year than they have been; when that happens, maybe they'll be in a position to dominate.

Edited by mobrien

27th Lancers from 1980

I just don't buy the idea that PR qualifies in any way as a corps that has not won a championship. Given that the best corps not to win is a tossup between Suncoast, two-seven, Spirit, and Bridgemen.