Pavilion Show in N. CA

What the heck did BD/SCV alumni play?? :laugh:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the heck did BD/SCV alumni play?? :laugh:

I believe it was going to be "Free" and "Since I Fell For You" from the BD library, "Music of the Night" and "Vanguardian Sketches" from the SCV side. "Vanguardian Sketches" has teh fanfare from "Festive Oveture" and the end of teh "Phantom of the Opera" opener right now...more will be added later.

DCIHasbeen: I would LOVE for a permanent alum group to be set up...even one that only gets together every few years like SCV's does. however, one of Dave's jobs is to safeguard the BD brand name...and he had no idea how the group would sound. we have a high standard to live up to, but i think we're doing that.

Will BD allow a permament alum group to form? After this year, who knows....

I believe it was going to be "Free" and "Since I Fell For You" from the BD library, "Music of the Night" and "Vanguardian Sketches" from the SCV side. "Vanguardian Sketches" has teh fanfare from "Festive Oveture" and the end of teh "Phantom of the Opera" opener right now...more will be added later.

DCIHasbeen: I would LOVE for a permanent alum group to be set up...even one that only gets together every few years like SCV's does. however, one of Dave's jobs is to safeguard the BD brand name...and he had no idea how the group would sound. we have a high standard to live up to, but i think we're doing that.

Will BD allow a permament alum group to form? After this year, who knows....

Sam:

Right with the music selections ... "Since I fell for you" was awesome.

As for the other, there's such a huge local base of BD folks (and others) from the '60s, '70s and '80s that are at the "ripe" age for alumni corps participation (kids mostly grown, more free time, etc.) that it would probably fare well. Not to mention that a strong part-time alumni corps kind of thing would only help fund raising and booster participation.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

Sam:

Right with the music selections ... "Since I fell for you" was awesome.

As for the other, there's such a huge local base of BD folks (and others) from the '60s, '70s and '80s that are at the "ripe" age for alumni corps participation (kids mostly grown, more free time, etc.) that it would probably fare well. Not to mention that a strong part-time alumni corps kind of thing would only help fund raising and booster participation.

Oh I agree.....but an official group cannot operate with Bd's blessing.

I was there and thought the show was GREAT! I'll leave the technical reviews and comments to others, but will offer that if there were two words that best-described what I took away from this year's BD show ..... they'd be "melodies" and "dynamics" .... which are both in ample supply. While the acoustics of the Concord Pavilion muddied things pretty badly, the work I heard at this weekend's rehearsals revealed an exciting book for the horn line (and I'm not even remotely qualified to speak to the percussion book). As a fan, I can tell you that I'm very excited for the Devs this year.

All of the ensembles sounded well-prepared .... BD B and C corps were very good for this time in the season, as were the Vanguard Cadets, Mandarins, and Renegades. I'm wondering if these corps have changed their rehearsal strategies - knowing that they'll be performing in the DCI Championships in Pasadena in-front of west coast crowds. Whatever the reason, its gonna be a great year of drum corps for the west coast.

Renegades really warmed the crowd up for the BD / SCV Alumni ensemble. Both groups shook the rafters with the Alums bringing the crowd to their feet. Kudos to both the Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard organizations for making this ensemble a reality. I can't wait to hear them later this summer. If you're interested in participating in this historic ensemble - you can find more information on the BD and SCV websites.

I think the crowd really enjoyed all of the performances this afternoon ..... and ... if today's performances were any indication of what we'll see come August, we'll be treated to some incredible showings by all of the corps in Palo Alto, then Pasadena.

Update: I almost forgot ..... the BlueView (BD's video podcast) team was there with multiple cameras, capturing the day's events ... as was Frank Dorritie, recording engineer extraordinaire. Look for a new edition of BlueView in the next couple of days on the BD site. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if BD makes a recording of the show available for download on the site as-well.

Wait, so no vocals at all? Not even the alleluia chorus in The Ascension? I've played that piece before, and hearing that BD is doing it just gets me all that much more excited to actually see them. That song gives me some serious chills.

Sounds like a good show to me, i just hope that they can do something awesome with it! When are those clips I read about gonna hit YouTube?!?

I got there late due to work, which is an hour away from the "Sleeptrain" Pavillion in Concord............ Just in time to see Renegades, the BD/SCV alums and BD A Corps............... Was standing fairly close to Wayne Downey during Renegades performance and he liked their horn book a lot........ Found seats and listened to the alumni combo corps, Roland was wailing some seriously high notes, great assortment of music that was chosen and looking forward to any more updated arrangements.......... BD, just plain wow. I "heard" (I could be mistaken, didn't really count how many brass) only half the hornline was there and they were putting out great sound. I was quite impressed by the battery and especially the pit....... Great time to have their 50th Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Blue Devils for arranging this show for the fans................

p.s. and no vocals, but it's not really the beginning of the season just yet............

Thank you. Any narration or singing?? Just curious. I wonder how the arrangement for Pegasus is, I didn't really care for the little they played of Channel One a few years ago.

The opener (Pegasus Fantasy) is brilliant. Alot faster than in 82. Nothing like Channel in 2002. If this was half of the hornline, yikes. They were loud with half.

The opener (Pegasus Fantasy) is brilliant. Alot faster than in 82. Nothing like Channel in 2002. If this was half of the hornline, yikes. They were loud with half.

that opener, best described as the hornline playing in half time while the battery was pp in double time............. they had a great groove going ensemble-wise....................