A and Open Caucus?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The elimination of age in IO has been on the floor before and didn't pass. I'm in favor of IO having no age limit simply because it will allow those that want to return to the sport, but don't live near an IW or can't physically compete in IW realisticly to spin again. Also it would help out our friends across the pond :)

I also like April Gilligan's prop for not paying to get in to view 5 mins of one round at Championships. It's like punishment for supporting your family.

Also, it's always good to better define the rules. There were some shady 'competetion boundery' things going on this year and it didn't help that several of the regionals where at sites that couldn't accomidate the size needed for multiple guards.

I've agreed with getting rid of the age requirements in IO since they dropped the age limit in IW. Agree with other comments here-- would help out European guards AND benefit others who may be 22 (or older) but not near a World guard.

I didn't realize proposals were up. I guess I'll take a look at them.

As for eliminating a GE judge... I've been thinking about this a lot. I've heard good reasons for having 2 (which you can see when there's a big difference in their scores), but people writing a show just to take advantage of GE because of the double numbers is something I have a serious problem with.

The one that really seemed odd to me was the front curtain. I certainly hope it doesn’t pass. I feel it will serve no “real purpose” and the money that would go into buying said curtain and workers to install and manipulate it could be better served going into the scholarship fund or some other fund. It you can’t handle the pressure of setting your equipment up in front of an audience, how are you going to handle the pressure of performing in front of said audience? I don’t know, that one just seemed weird to me. . . and I think it is wasted money.

The one that really seemed odd to me was the front curtain. I certainly hope it doesn’t pass. I feel it will serve no “real purpose” and the money that would go into buying said curtain and workers to install and manipulate it could be better served going into the scholarship fund or some other fund. It you can’t handle the pressure of setting your equipment up in front of an audience, how are you going to handle the pressure of performing in front of said audience? I don’t know, that one just seemed weird to me. . . and I think it is wasted money.

I don't know; I think it would be kind of neat and theatrical. But it would have to be a big o' curtain. Think about the people sitting all the way up in the nosebleed section. It would have to go nearly floor to ceiling. And if it was that big, how would they raise it?

I was at the meeting, but just haven't had time to post a reply with any detail. I'll try to go through my notes and post something slightly coherent later tonight.

We did discuss the proposal about "all age", and my understanding was that it would only apply to groups from other countries (outside North America) so that they could compete in the class they normally do in their own country. Groups that participate in "open" class all year are forced to go in World EVERY time they travel to be at WGI World Championships. That ends up making the trip only for the experience of going for most of them, with no hope of being even remotely competitive. The proposal may have been amended, but the only way we discussed it was in reference to groups from other countries, not opening it up for all IO groups.

I have a great question for the powers to be.

Does BLOCK and POST BLOCK mean anything come time the Ind Open prelims times are selected. Because guards that made post block, went on before guards that did not. Of course all the BLOCK guards were on last in their rounds, but POST BLOCK does not seem to mean anything in Ind Open.

Can anyone explain and tell me how to get this to the appropiate people.

I have a great question for the powers to be.

Does BLOCK and POST BLOCK mean anything come time the Ind Open prelims times are selected. Because guards that made post block, went on before guards that did not. Of course all the BLOCK guards were on last in their rounds, but POST BLOCK does not seem to mean anything in Ind Open.

Can anyone explain and tell me how to get this to the appropiate people.

Again, I may be understanding this COMPLETELY wrong, but I'm pretty sure the block and post-block numbers only apply to scheduling for World Class. Though they are there for a reference point for A and Open, they don't apply for setting the schedule at WGI. I'd say email Dale Powers, and if he's not the right one, he could definitely direct you to who should be the right one to answer your question.

(BTW, Hi Scott! :))