A and Open Caucus?

Whoa, did anyone read the entire spiel on changing the movement sheet?

They are trying to take the expression and communication aspect away from the GE judge and put it to movement, as well as taking emphasis off of some technical aspects and putting it on if the movement serves its purpose well within the show and if the kids can achieve it despite it not being a perfectly techincal whatever (attitude, leap, etc.)

The person who proposed it obviously has lack of faith in the movement judges saying this is the way it should be done until WGI can secure a good panel of dance educators.

Imagine re-training all the movement judges!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love the idea of a curtain to be raised and lowered between guards.i don't enjoy seeing the setup and teardown of a production.

Edited by dugg

Whoa, did anyone read the entire spiel on changing the movement sheet?

They are trying to take the expression and communication aspect away from the GE judge and put it to movement, as well as taking emphasis off of some technical aspects and putting it on if the movement serves its purpose well within the show and if the kids can achieve it despite it not being a perfectly techincal whatever (attitude, leap, etc.)

The person who proposed it obviously has lack of faith in the movement judges saying this is the way it should be done until WGI can secure a good panel of dance educators.

Imagine re-training all the movement judges!

I understand the intent of his post. In fact, it's relelvant to our recent conversation on technique. I believe he's pointing out that the average A guard doesn't have the time or resources to develop great dancers and should not be held to that standard. I can't imagine that proposal passing, though.

My two cents (oh come on, you knew it was coming! :P )

I don't like the idea of a curtain. "But it's more theatrical." Whatevah. Winter guard is almost too theatrical as it is now. This IS NOT the theater. Cost and labor intensive, and serves nothing to add to the overall advancement of the productions, educationally or performance wise.

Drawing for performance order - DCI 1988 anyone???? :P

(for those who don't know, this happened in 1988 at the world championships, and many people feel Madison won because of the performance advantage. I'm not saying I agree with what those opinions are/were about DCI 1988, I'm just making the point that if this passes, whoever wins WGI in 2008 will always have that hanging over their heads.)

Rewriting the whole "movement" thing...IDK, I can see both sides of this argument. But in the end I say no, units just aren't at that level yet. Especially open & A classes. (for the need of a purely movement judge, I think they need to achieve the standards set now, instead of lowering the bar even more.)

I also agree that charging for another set of tickets is just greedy on WGI's part. I think (and have thought for years) that an organization with two or three guards should get a package rate with maybe a certain number of passes.

Interesting list of proposals this year, though.

That's all I care to comment on for now.

Edited by garfield_cadets

I mean I see the point of changing the movement sheets (I don't get what the name change of them to Expression and Communication is though) but I think it'll lower the bar and I am kind of afraid of seeing what some guards will do.

Then again, it might be all in my head.

I mean I see the point of changing the movement sheets (I don't get what the name change of them to Expression and Communication is though) but I think it'll lower the bar and I am kind of afraid of seeing what some guards will do.

Then again, it might be all in my head.

I personally don't think it's a good idea. I know that the overwhelming majority of A guards don't meet the standards of the movement sheet, but I don't think that means we should lower the standards. The top of the class always meets and exceeds the current standards; I think that's enough. I mean, they don't really meet the standards of any of the sheets. That's what separates those groups that are ready for Open Class from the rest of the pack, it's those who have mastered the A Class sheets.

[The only one that really makes me upset is that they defeated the proposal that would eliminate the need to buy an extra set of finals tickets for organizations with multiple units who will only enter the area to cheer for one performance.

What did you expect it's all about the money now!!!!

I'm they passed the amendment to the age rule in IO for European guards... I think this will REALLY help the likes of Sonnor/Ventures/Mayflower, etc.... (though Ventures seems to be doing VERY well as they are).

Too bad they couldn't pass it for American IO guards too