Olympics

I was just wondering if there's ever been any push for getting Drum Corps into the olympics. I know art forms tend to not be the first choice of new Olympic sport applications, but there are some such as figure skating. I was just wondering since DCI already has such a well laid out scoring and point system, and the activity has a pretty strong following, if anyone has explored this idea yet or if no one's really given it a go. It's definitely something I'd like to look into in my future with the sport. I just think it's such an amazing activity and I'd love to see it go more world wide and mainstream.

Any information? Thoughts? Comments?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see it happening.

According to a quick bit of research....

To be included on the Olympic Games program, Olympic sports must conform to the following criteria:

1. Olympic sports widely practiced by men must be played in at least 75 countries on four continents; and by women in at least 40 countries on three continents.

2. To be added to the Olympic Winter Games program, a sport must be practised widely in at least 25 countries on three continents.

...I was just wondering since DCI already has such a well laid out scoring and point system, ...

Any information? Thoughts? Comments?

b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs

DCI may have an OK scoring and point system, for a marching music activity. But for a sport, it's way too subjective. Sorry if this begins a "drum corps is/isn't sport" debate. But I don't think it is.

There are drum corps all over the world.

But the standards, judging systems, styles, etc. are all to different and inconsistant to be condidered a "sport" for something like the olympics.

I think it's best we do our own thing.

One of the major difficulties with operating a modern Olympic Games is in the numbers of athletes involved. Each Games events are juggled and restrictions placed on participant numbers in an attempt to manage these numbers. Logistically, I can't imagine the addition of a program adding, potentially, thousands of participants.

b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs

DCI may have an OK scoring and point system, for a marching music activity. But for a sport, it's way too subjective. Sorry if this begins a "drum corps is/isn't sport" debate. But I don't think it is.

I don't know if it's any more or less so than synchronized swimming or figure skating or ice dancing. But the logistics of the activity I think would doom it, as OtherDaryl pointed out. Can you imagine Jubal Dordrecht doing their show while the 100-meter relay is literally going on around them? Or Cavaliers glide-stepping onto the field while the Olympic walking championships are going on? Who'd win that race?

I wasn't really expecting such a negative response lol. But I guess it's just not as logistically feasible as I had hoped. I wonder if winter would be any more doable. Since apparently -

To be included on the Olympic Games program, Olympic sports must conform to the following criteria:

1. Olympic sports widely practiced by men must be played in at least 75 countries on four continents; and by women in at least 40 countries on three continents.

2. To be added to the Olympic Winter Games program, a sport must be practised widely in at least 25 countries on three continents.

So maybe 25 countries would be doable. And the demand for people would be far less with winterguard or winter drumline than for drum corps. I don't know. It's just wishful thinking I guess. Doesn't seem as doable as I had hoped.

I wasn't really expecting such a negative response lol. But I guess it's just not as logistically feasible as I had hoped. I wonder if winter would be any more doable. Since apparently -

So maybe 25 countries would be doable. And the demand for people would be far less with winterguard or winter drumline than for drum corps. I don't know. It's just wishful thinking I guess. Doesn't seem as doable as I had hoped.

If you put the corps on ice skates, I'm sure the Olympic Committee would be ok with it.

Winter? I can't think of a single Winter Olympic sport that doesn't involve ice or snow.

I believe the original modern games in 1896 were supposed to have a musical/cultural festival in concert with the athletics, but it didn't happen..

As for adding in drum corps....consider that every time the IOC starts talking about eliminating sports, we i the fencing community start getting VERY nervous...and this is one only 4 sport disciplines to make it from the beginning (the other three being swimming, gymnastics, and track & field events).

If the IOC ever seriously considers dropping fencing -- a Euro-born sport that's been in the Games since day 1 -- they're not going to consider a niche activity like drum corps.

Besides...the IOC has a habit of screwing around with sports to make them more TV friendly....don't get me going on the fencing masks with the clear Lexan faceplate...there's a REASON I don't sell them as a vendor and hate them as an armorer.

Let's keep our own house....

Edited by 84BDsop