• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And just what do you mean by that?

Not everyone elses thoughts...why would you say that?

i just meant that i hope they come out with their own identity, since they arent the VK of old (thats what everyone keeps telling me anyways, and they are VKYAO... not VK.. new name and all)..

they should come out as VKYAO and not as a rehash of VK or something like Impulse did when they first came out.

but i do hope they do great and succeed. we need more representation from this side of the country

(and i meant nothing against Impulse either)

I understand that, and I hope they succeed...

This is to that socalled drum corps fan.

For your information there were lots of kids that came out to the VK rehersals, but some decided it was'nt for them, others may have had other obligations that they had to take care of first before commiting to the corps. But DON'T YOU DARE TRY TOO PUT OUR KIDS DOWN ! FOR ANYTHING!!!!

The members that we have now are dedicated to the max! They will stop at nothing but to be sure that they are helping build on a foundation that had been laid long ago, and to uphold a proud name that they wear across their chest. SO FREAKING WHAT IF THEY ARE NOT THE VK OF THE OLD DAYS! Our members are the ones who came to the VK Youth Arts Organization and said they want too be here. And all of us on the "BOARD OF DIRECTORS" are proud of each one of them, no mater how small you may think they are. I watch the VK staff work as hard as anyother Div 1 staff, to help our members get nothing but the best instruction to help them to succeed to be the best. Weather you think all this is hype or not , the kids that have become members of the Velvet Knights Drum & Bugle Corps have done something special...Made a dream come true.

Frank Feliz

Vice-Preident / Board of Directors VKYAO

However, the thunderous hype machine makes it sound like they are the greatest thing since grounded pit equipment. Now, hearing that they only have membership numbers that warrant D-III makes me seriously wonder what's really going on there. Since VK we have heard that "they're back," but "we are a totally different organization." We see postings after postings about everything they are, "doing," and read endless threads of supposedly funny, inside jokes, that really come off as juvenile and make many here scratch their collective heads and ask why do those posters feel it necessary to post obvioius inside humor that makes no sense to those out of the loop (and, while I rarely read them, I am not saying they shouldn't post...everyone is truly entitled to post, so don't even flame me on this.)...

Yes, the first steps are the hardest. However, everything VK's leadership has proclaimed since the beginning has inferred that the corps has attracted hundreds of kids, has money flowing like wine, and the DCI is seeing the next hot commodity. Now, seeing that their membership is not what they've been boasting shows me, in my opinion, that things aren't as rosey in VK land as they claim.

I don't care how many members they truly have, and I don't care what direction their leadership wants to take the corps. I do care that they are making claims that don't seem to measure up to reality. A first year corps should produce results, not boast and brag before even getting on the field. Get the kids on the field and entertain us like you say you will. Then, you shut people like me up and allow your kids to receive the accolades they truly deserve.

I don't understand why their is so much controversy over VK coming back. I mean, sure it's your own right to voice your opinion, but have you ever wondered about the kids who are actually marching? We work our butts off every camp, and it hurts to come on the boards to here people not supporting us, or holding grudges for things that were done in the past...

Sigh...why can't everybody just get along, and support everybody who does this crazy thing that we call Drum Corps?

What's the use.

Sigh...why can't everybody just get along, and support everybody who does this crazy thing that we call Drum Corps?

What's the use.

Just do your thing. There's a lot of people that are pulling for you, and you've all worked too hard to let anything stand in your way, ever.

Just do your thing. There's a lot of people that are pulling for you, and you've all worked too hard to let anything stand in your way, ever.

Exactly. For every one person that talks crap about VK, there will be at least 100 at finals cheering for ya!

I don't understand why their is so much controversy over VK coming back. I mean, sure it's your own right to voice your opinion, but have you ever wondered about the kids who are actually marching? We work our butts off every camp, and it hurts to come on the boards to here people not supporting us, or holding grudges for things that were done in the past...

What's the use.

Hey Mike, hang in there. VK has more fans than critics.

VK rocks!

i just meant that i hope they come out with their own identity, since they arent the VK of old (thats what everyone keeps telling me anyways, and they are VKYAO... not VK.. new name and all)..

Actually, it's not a "new name". I don't want to get into this debate or appear to be a "side taker" (in the debate itself) but I do want the corps to be talked about fairly. The name listed on the article of approved new corps on http://www.dci.org (can't arue with them) is "Velvet Knights" (i.e. "VK"). Their "official business name" is "Velvet Knights Youth Arts Orginization" (i.e, "VKYAO"). Believe it or not, "the old VK" had an official business name of their own as well. It was "VKI" (i.e. "Velvet Knights, Inc"). On the field, they were called "Velvet Knights" and sometimes "VK" for short. The new VK will also be called "Velvet Knights" and "VK" for short. I'm not going to get into a big long discussion on the legalities and controversies of this "name technicality" as I've heard it called several times this year. It's complicated and I'm not sure I understand it all myself. Either way, the corps has been approved to exist and now approved to compete in DCI so it really doesn't matter what we think. They are a corps called the "Velvet Knights" and all indications point toward a corps that WILL reflect the old corps style and character. This leads me to my final point.....

The corps' mission statement is very clear that their intentions are to reflect the style and character of the "old VK". So, I honestly do not see why there would be a problem if they went the rout you seem to be against. It's what they've set out to do and how they have chosen to be identified. It WILL be "their identity". Regardless of what anyone's opinion on that is, it's their corps...not yours and not mine either and their choice how they will structure the entertainment value of their program. They are indeed a new corps but just like if a new Division III corps wanted to call themselves the "Vanguard" and play Phantom Of The Opera wearing red, green and white uniforms...and say that they are doing it to honor the Vanguard we all know today, I don't see where there would be a big deal. In VK's case, it's even less of a big deal because the old VK is gone. Why not capitolize on the name the corps has chosen by utilizing a style that not only the old VK but NOBODY is around to provide anymore? Impulse, though still around (thank God because I like that corps too) and wearing baseball caps has even gone in a different direction with their style of show these last few years. There is no patent on the style and nobody around utilizing it (other than the Bridgemen Alumni) so - why not?

That's my opinion on the whole thing. I'm anxious to see this corps. I'll be honest, I started off very skeptical about this project and have grown - after lots of discussion with some friends who are on the staff as well as friends that are outsde but somewhat close to the corps - to not only "approve" of it myself (if I may use that word...as if what I would "approve" should matter), but I have grown to support it as well (as can be seen by my signature). Afterall, DCI has even chose to approve and support it at this point...since they have officially "approved" them (see http://dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=54c93...80-6dffbe274e5f ). If "DCI" approves and supports them, so do I.

Have a great season Velvet Knights. I can't wait to see your contributions to the activity. You can officially consider me a "VK FAN"! :)

Edited by torn8o