There are so many things to be said...but the bottom line of it all, and what I was most concerned with, has been finalized. All other opinions are just that and are not going to change the course of events that will take VK on its journey. I've always said--and you can ask anyone--as long as the kids are being taken care of and given a fair opportunity and being led correctly, than have at it guys.

It's funny. This may have some relevance. I'm typing on a computer in a business center up here in Ventura. I'm off on "fire department business". There's a large group of us that came up for a three-day conference of multiple fire departments as we gear up for the "mother of all mother's" when it comes to fire seasons. Two evenings ago, whilst sitting around watching various captains and chiefs and colleagues obliterate themselves with drinks, someone made an off-handed remark about my "band business", and it sparked some interest from people sitting around in this lounge. I described what I did--and mind you, these are chest-thumping, water squirting on fire, macho types that don't take kindly to us "band f--s"--and one of our chiefs for our department blurted out, "I marched in drum corps!" Taken aback, and then realizing I was in the midst of fire people, in my mind quickly surmised he was going to either make a joke of it, or say he marched in his elementary band "drum corps". So I jokingly looked at him, and said, "Oh yeah...where?"

And his answered floored me. I've known this guy for THIRTEEN YEARS, and his answer absolutely floored me. He said...

"This group out of Anaheim called the Velvet Knights."

If you could imagine me for a second sitting there with my jaw laying on the ground, that would be me. Then, cynical Ryan H. took over, and I figured someone tipped him off of MY involvement with VK, so my eyes went steely and all squinty, and said...well, I said what anyone would say to a CHIEF OF A FIRE DEPARTMENT...I said, "Bovine excrement" using the colloquial version of course. Which he responded, "No really...I did. I marched in this group called the Squires, and then moved up to VK."

Jaw back to the floor.

There's a point to all this so shuddup and keep reading.

Apparently he marched in the 70's, from age 12 to 19, his last year being when DCI was in what he called "Boulder" but I'm sure he meant "Denver". Immediately I start dropping names from the era (sorry Garry, he didn't remember you, but he didn't remember a lot of things--#### alcohol!!). Of course he knew the Bevins and the Leatherman Family and a few other names I recognized. I said, "So you must have spent time at the bingo hall at Knott and Ball." He had no idea what I was talking about. He said, "No, I spent time at the Benge Factory on a dirt lot, and I think the bingo hall was over there."

And in that split instant--I realized something. Here I was in Ventura, talking with someone that had absolutely no connection at all with VK of the 80's, who marched in a--wait for it--waaaaaaaaaaaaaaait for it--a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CORPS than was my corps (although apparently the same LEGAL organization). I told him my brief history. 84 contra quitting bad decision 85 baritone solo 86 and 87 drum major top 12 whatever. He sort of nodded at me, and then went back...wait for it...WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT FOR IT....went BACK to remembering HIS days in corps.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Interesting. I mean he was polite and everything and we were joking about being VK brothers and not even realizing it. But...

Two seperate corps. Two seperate eras. The only thing he and I had in common was a The Little Red Man (inside joke) and the, as he called it, "Oriental Odyssey" (which he meant was the Odyssey Classic, one of the best local drum corps shows in the 70's and 80's in southern Cal if not the entire U.S.).

So...I guess my point is this.

What's in a name? I'm not sure.

Second quick story--Garry above alluded to it as he was probably thinking of me when he typed it. I was none to pleased when Impulse came on the scene in 1999. Actually, I was far from pleased. I was pretty torn up and bitter about VK being raped and left on the side of the road (sorry for the ugly analogy--but it is what it is) by a person who had no business being "in charge". And here, about 3 years later, was something coming out "trying to be like" my VK. And I take that ownership sort of seriously. MY VK. But after some time, and some getting used to it, and I'll admit it, some lengthy phone calls with luminaries like Charlie Groh, I stopped at least being hostile.

Now I'm on their board of directors and putting dots on pieces of paper for them for a second run as their show designer.

The "NEW" VK.

As long as the kids are being taken care of, and are being given an experience that will give them a lifetime of memories like my exploits--uh, I mean, my experiences with MY VK gave me, then in the words of the immortal Ginger "MOM" Smith...

"GO GET 'EM KIDS."

But be ready.

Because....uhhhh....(looking around)...drum corps IS competitive. Cough.

I'm just saying...

;-)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many things to be said...but the bottom line of it all, and what I was most concerned with, has been finalized. All other opinions are just that and are not going to change the course of events that will take VK on its journey. I've always said--and you can ask anyone--as long as the kids are being taken care of and given a fair opportunity and being led correctly, than have at it guys.

It's funny. This may have some relevance. I'm typing on a computer in a business center up here in Ventura. I'm off on "fire department business". There's a large group of us that came up for a three-day conference of multiple fire departments as we gear up for the "mother of all mother's" when it comes to fire seasons. Two evenings ago, whilst sitting around watching various captains and chiefs and colleagues obliterate themselves with drinks, someone made an off-handed remark about my "band business", and it sparked some interest from people sitting around in this lounge. I described what I did--and mind you, these are chest-thumping, water squirting on fire, macho types that don't take kindly to us "band f--s"--and one of our chiefs for our department blurted out, "I marched in drum corps!" Taken aback, and then realizing I was in the midst of fire people, in my mind quickly surmised he was going to either make a joke of it, or say he marched in his elementary band "drum corps". So I jokingly looked at him, and said, "Oh yeah...where?"

And his answered floored me. I've known this guy for THIRTEEN YEARS, and his answer absolutely floored me. He said...

"This group out of Anaheim called the Velvet Knights."

If you could imagine me for a second sitting there with my jaw laying on the ground, that would be me. Then, cynical Ryan H. took over, and I figured someone tipped him off of MY involvement with VK, so my eyes went steely and all squinty, and said...well, I said what anyone would say to a CHIEF OF A FIRE DEPARTMENT...I said, "Bovine excrement" using the colloquial version of course. Which he responded, "No really...I did. I marched in this group called the Squires, and then moved up to VK."

Jaw back to the floor.

There's a point to all this so shuddup and keep reading.

Apparently he marched in the 70's, from age 12 to 19, his last year being when DCI was in what he called "Boulder" but I'm sure he meant "Denver". Immediately I start dropping names from the era (sorry Garry, he didn't remember you, but he didn't remember a lot of things--#### alcohol!!). Of course he knew the Bevins and the Leatherman Family and a few other names I recognized. I said, "So you must have spent time at the bingo hall at Knott and Ball." He had no idea what I was talking about. He said, "No, I spent time at the Benge Factory on a dirt lot, and I think the bingo hall was over there."

And in that split instant--I realized something. Here I was in Ventura, talking with someone that had absolutely no connection at all with VK of the 80's, who marched in a--wait for it--waaaaaaaaaaaaaaait for it--a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CORPS than was my corps (although apparently the same LEGAL organization). I told him my brief history. 84 contra quitting bad decision 85 baritone solo 86 and 87 drum major top 12 whatever. He sort of nodded at me, and then went back...wait for it...WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT FOR IT....went BACK to remembering HIS days in corps.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Interesting. I mean he was polite and everything and we were joking about being VK brothers and not even realizing it. But...

Two seperate corps. Two seperate eras. The only thing he and I had in common was a The Little Red Man (inside joke) and the, as he called it, "Oriental Odyssey" (which he meant was the Odyssey Classic, one of the best local drum corps shows in the 70's and 80's in southern Cal if not the entire U.S.).

So...I guess my point is this.

What's in a name? I'm not sure.

Second quick story--Garry above alluded to it as he was probably thinking of me when he typed it. I was none to pleased when Impulse came on the scene in 1999. Actually, I was far from pleased. I was pretty torn up and bitter about VK being raped and left on the side of the road (sorry for the ugly analogy--but it is what it is) by a person who had no business being "in charge". And here, about 3 years later, was something coming out "trying to be like" my VK. And I take that ownership sort of seriously. MY VK. But after some time, and some getting used to it, and I'll admit it, some lengthy phone calls with luminaries like Charlie Groh, I stopped at least being hostile.

Now I'm on their board of directors and putting dots on pieces of paper for them for a second run as their show designer.

The "NEW" VK.

As long as the kids are being taken care of, and are being given an experience that will give them a lifetime of memories like my exploits--uh, I mean, my experiences with MY VK gave me, then in the words of the immortal Ginger "MOM" Smith...

"GO GET 'EM KIDS."

But be ready.

I'm just saying...

;-)

My years in VK were on the tail end of what was Velvet Knights Inc. From what i've seen on the 'net, it seems like VKYAO is light years beyond the old VK (at least in my 2 yrs). The quality of instruction at least from a credential stand point is also light years beyond what I had when I marched.

I understand there are critics. That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. What doesn't kill the corps will only make it stronger. I hope if current marching members see the criticism, that they don't take it to heart. Instead, I hope it steels their will to excede all expectations including their own.

It brings sweat to my eyes thinking that I will hear "Velvet Knights, you may enter the field in competition." I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it.

"GO GET 'EM KIDS."

But be ready.

I'm just saying...

;-)

Thank you! Thank you! Drum Corps IS competitive!

And we'll be ready! ^0^

Dude, you just pumped me up! And I'm on staff!!!

is the corps going on a full tour this year?

Performance info is up on the VKYAO myspace page:

http://myspace.com/vkyao