Can anyone please explain to me DCM

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When was DCE in operation? Only Drum Corps East I was aware of was the name of the regional show usually held at Allentown. Then again I didn't follow corps most of the 90s.

The DCI East Regional and Drum Corps East Championships were two totally different events. Each region had their own championships, usually at the midway point of the summer, with the corps from that region. Most corps stayed within their particular region for the first part of the summer, though occasionally a corps would visit another region for the first part of the summer. Whichever happened, corps stayed in one region for the first half of the summer.

When I marched in 1990, we had the DCM Championships in Dekalb, which I believe Star won, and later the DCI Midwest Regional in Whitewater, which we won over Phantom and BD. In 1993, we went west and competed in DCW shows, but came back for the DCM Championships. I think it was Madison who one year went east, performed in DCE shows and actually took part in the DCE Championships.

The second half of the summer was the cross-competition in DCI shows, to include Regionals. DCI Regionals pretty much have been regional in name only. They are big shows, but regional they certainly are not.

I’ll never forget that first year all the div corps except Pioneer went out of the area on tour purposely to tank the DeKalb show – oh, they still had a show and I went but not many others did

It was a power and money grab by the top corps in DCM/DCI –it set the stage for the future of DCI and exposed the 6 or so corps survival model, the rest be ###### – it was very nasty and very deliberate and killed drum corp culture in the mid-west which now just has occasional visits from the DCI circus tour. And even though it was the corps that ruined it, they were the acting in their role and on behalf of DCI, so yeah, DCI killed it - they did not want the competition. And it’s not just the DeKalb show, when DCM died, so did a ton of regional show and the drum corps presence in the mid-west in general. As a result of this, you can now have several weeks the during the summer in mid west without a major show. It killed the community base of the activity. You also lost the chance to see many corps several times during the year and follow the progress of their shows. Drum has never been the same around here afterwards and we are all poorer for it – well, expect a few of the big, money grubbing super corps, I’ve never been so ashamed of my old corps

I saw that Roman got some award at DCI last year, wonder what kind of deal was cut for that, he’s the one to ask, he’ll give you the dope on how unbelievably evil and short sighted some of the corps/DCI acted – unless that award shut him up

The other result of this being, DCI is now Drum Corp for Jr division – so DCI is now fully responsible for the state of Jr Drum Corps. All the eggs are in one basket and there is no competition or balance (would amps have passed w/ other circuts still?) It also means DCI has govern and is responsible for the corps and their management – all this is mind blowing considering how poorly DCI has traditionally been run, 79 anyone? Its well beyond the role they were intended to have and they still have not proven themselves capable. We are just one law suite away from the death of DCI. It’s bad business all the way around.

Mr Boo - I disagree with many of your comments here, I get you’re a hommer and acting as an apologist but come on

The DCI East Regional and Drum Corps East Championships were two totally different events. Each region had their own championships, usually at the midway point of the summer, with the corps from that region. Most corps stayed within their particular region for the first part of the summer, though occasionally a corps would visit another region for the first part of the summer. Whichever happened, corps stayed in one region for the first half of the summer.

When I marched in 1990, we had the DCM Championships in Dekalb, which I believe Star won, and later the DCI Midwest Regional in Whitewater, which we won over Phantom and BD. In 1993, we went west and competed in DCW shows, but came back for the DCM Championships. I think it was Madison who one year went east, performed in DCE shows and actually took part in the DCE Championships.

The second half of the summer was the cross-competition in DCI shows, to include Regionals. DCI Regionals pretty much have been regional in name only. They are big shows, but regional they certainly are not.

DCE was overseen by Tony DiCarlo, who is currently on the DCI staff. Like DCM, they did early season shows, that culminated at the DCE championships held in the Boston area, usually. During my marching years they were held at Sullivan Stadium in Foxboro (1989), The Manning Bowl in Lynn, MA, and two years at Nickerson Field at Boston University.

Cadets won most of the time.

I’ll never forget that first year all the div corps except Pioneer went out of the area on tour purposely to tank the DeKalb show – oh, they still had a show and I went but not many others did

It was a power and money grab by the top corps in DCM/DCI –it set the stage for the future of DCI and exposed the 6 or so corps survival model, the rest be ###### – it was very nasty and very deliberate and killed drum corp culture in the mid-west which now just has occasional visits from the DCI circus tour. And even though it was the corps that ruined it, they were the acting in their role and on behalf of DCI, so yeah, DCI killed it - they did not want the competition. And it’s not just the DeKalb show, when DCM died, so did a ton of regional show and the drum corps presence in the mid-west in general. As a result of this, you can now have several weeks the during the summer in mid west without a major show. It killed the community base of the activity. You also lost the chance to see many corps several times during the year and follow the progress of their shows. Drum has never been the same around here afterwards and we are all poorer for it – well, expect a few of the big, money grubbing super corps, I’ve never been so ashamed of my old corps

I saw that Roman got some award at DCI last year, wonder what kind of deal was cut for that, he’s the one to ask, he’ll give you the dope on how unbelievably evil and short sighted some of the corps/DCI acted – unless that award shut him up

The other result of this being, DCI is now Drum Corp for Jr division – so DCI is now fully responsible for the state of Jr Drum Corps. All the eggs are in one basket and there is no competition or balance (would amps have passed w/ other circuts still?) It also means DCI has govern and is responsible for the corps and their management – all this is mind blowing considering how poorly DCI has traditionally been run, 79 anyone? Its well beyond the role they were intended to have and they still have not proven themselves capable. We are just one law suite away from the death of DCI. It’s bad business all the way around.

Mr Boo - I disagree with many of your comments here, I get you’re a hommer and acting as an apologist but come on

Bull Dinkey Dust. <**>

If DCM had run a circuit that was worth a crap, the Big boys, who as I have said, ARE THE DRAW, would have stayed.

Your post is more full of crap then some of the middle of nowhere former cow pastures that Roman had DCM shows on. :sshh:

Anyone else remmember when July 1st would come around, and the horn staff would tell everyone to start holding their horns at DCM heights? For those that don't know, there is a huge wall at DeKalb, and holding your horn at that slightly different angle works some slightly different muscles, so the staff would have us adjust a week or so in advance to get used to it. Sure is a shame that current corps members won't know the joy of getting up at dawn so they can rehearse in the stadium for a couple of hours. :)

I'll second that DCM was the best. Also, the social/I&E day was a blast. It was awesome to get to just hangout with everyone from all the different coprs for an afternoon. In fact, the whole DCM tour was great.

The corps were tired of crappy shows in small stadiums in the middle of nowhere. (Streator, IL anyone?), An antiquated ticketing system and questionable judges.

Yeah, there was Streator - but there were also a slew of great small town events throughout Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana, etc. There was a time when you didn't have to live in a major city to get to see a great line-up. Sure, there would only be 2-3 div 1s at the show, but there were ful compliments of senior, div 2/3 and alumni corps there as well. Also, unless I'm mistaken - the pay scale was based on how you scored (and I liked how EVERYONE was on the same sheets). Also, average people could afford the tickets, I'm a poor student - it's tough for me to afford going all the way to a regional city and paying that much for a ticket.

And it's not just the DeKalb show, when DCM died, so did a ton of regional show and the drum corps presence in the mid-west in general.

Another result is that drum corps is now completely dependent on school marching bands to supply their members. Hence, they are becoming marching bands.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27