Ode to Real Drum Corps

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what a stupid ### article.

sorry, but are you serious? Let me just point out some of the stupidest points of this absolutely pathetic "poem."

"We got better; they get worse"

LMAO. okay. I guess the person who wrote this article is blind and deaf. funny, I didn't know Helen Keller dug drum corps.

"and shout and holler with a beer -"

yay! let's go to a drum corps show and act like a drunk!

"Stadiums are not symphony halls,

And "forte" notes do not have balls!

B-flat major? Gimme a break!

"Blow in plumbing, music make!" "

how about blow in plumbing, loud noise make. if you want to go listen to loud noise, go listen to Slayer.

"And drum majors didn't need a scaffold."

as the point above mentioned, why would they? they didn't play music, the played noise! who needs a drum major to play NOISE?

"Athletic "sport?" - no freakin' way -"

so, you're making fun of us because we march harder stuff than you?

This article is pathetic. You wonder why we don't give you older people respect... ridiculous.

~>conner

I'm seeing Joe tonight. He's still a pretty good soprano, (he has enough vibrato for the whole section, so we can all play straight). He's having a tough time marching these days, but he can still plaster a double high G. I think Bruce is playing 3rd soprano.

Practice tonight for the big show on Saturday.

Please say hello to Joe and Bruce. I only marched with them for a year or two, but maybe they can remember me. If they can't Luckenbill should; unless he's gone totally senile.

what a stupid ### article.

sorry, but are you serious? Let me just point out some of the stupidest points of this absolutely pathetic "poem."

"We got better; they get worse"

LMAO. okay. I guess the person who wrote this article is blind and deaf. funny, I didn't know Helen Keller dug drum corps.

"and shout and holler with a beer -"

yay! let's go to a drum corps show and act like a drunk!

"Stadiums are not symphony halls,

And "forte" notes do not have balls!

B-flat major? Gimme a break!

"Blow in plumbing, music make!" "

how about blow in plumbing, loud noise make. if you want to go listen to loud noise, go listen to Slayer.

"And drum majors didn't need a scaffold."

as the point above mentioned, why would they? they didn't play music, the played noise! who needs a drum major to play NOISE?

"Athletic "sport?" - no freakin' way -"

so, you're making fun of us because we march harder stuff than you?

This article is pathetic. You wonder why we don't give you older people respect... ridiculous.

~>conner

Conner , you definitely have a point, to an extent.

Someone that would take this poem as anything other than, "tongue in cheek" humor is not worth worrying about.

I think most older people DO NOT believe the words of this poem, but if you were old like us and you will be someday - no one escapes age- you would find some humor in the comparisons drawn.

Your reaction to the poem and the broad generalizations you draw from it reveals the same attitude towards older people that you accuse older marchers of towards younger marchers. The fact is neither is true.

It's a joke, that's all...like Colbert

It may be a joke, but it shows what current members have to deal with.

There are great things and some not so great things in every era of drum corps. It is up to each person to decide what those things are, but that does not give anyone the right to be disrespectful of an era they don't like.

I have a question for the people that are such strong advocates of what this "poem" is describing.

If drum corps did not change (basically pre-DCI) do you honestly believe it would be as strong or stronger today?

I know "strong" is a relative term since we used to have hundreds of corps where we don't today.

I don't think kids today would be very interested in that type of an activity when they have so many other choices. Also, people tend to forget who this activity is really for - the kids in the corps. They will only be there if it is interesting. While the fans are a huge source of support for the activity, without the kids marching there would be no activity to support.

I am not saying any era is "better" then any other era and I will never bash any member/alumni no matter when they marched.

How would you feel if you spent so much time doing something you are passionate about only to have someone who did the same activity 30 years ago say what you are doing is not "real" and it is not worth their time?

I guess it's just a matter of context. I sort of miss the days when you could buy a car and march a season, in the same year, without taking on five years worth of debt(for each).

When I first sponsored a kid in 2002, I was thinking $300 or $400 and this kid is gonna have the best year of their life. Imagine my shock when I found out it was over $1,200 once you add up all of the catagorized fees. So for my first $700 I was able to 50% sponsor one kid, where back in the day it would have 100% sponsored two kids. In one context I'm half of a nice guy because I only partially sponsored a kid. In another, I'm very generous because $700 is a lot of cash.

I liked the poem, partially because I understand it's context. Even though I marched slightly later when the tick system was gone, and drill was asymmetrical. But I have marched symmetrical drill and know that it takes a bit of accuracy to successfully accomplish. Although I don't agree with all of it, like the they got worse part, I do understand the parts that it's trying to praise and I wouldn't mind seeing those things again. Seeing a show where there's no pit, amps, or props, is quite a different experience than one with so much clutter you've got to watch the video 1,000 times to take most of it in (assuming you can make anything out on the video, or if one exists).

Conner , you definitely have a point, to an extent.

Someone that would take this poem as anything other than, "tongue in cheek" humor is not worth worrying about.

I think most older people DO NOT believe the words of this poem, but if you were old like us and you will be someday - no one escapes age- you would find some humor in the comparisons drawn.

Your reaction to the poem and the broad generalizations you draw from it reveals the same attitude towards older people that you accuse older marchers of towards younger marchers. The fact is neither is true.

It's a joke, that's all...like Colbert

first off - Colbert is not a joke.

second off - my post was definetely broad, and I'm sorry if it made that I was accusing every older person around. It's just offending that someone would waste the time to write a poem that does absolutely nothing but degrade the people who work just as hard (or harder) than those who marched before.

and would you have posted this poem if you didn't believe a word of it?

it's a joke to some, straight up serious to most. THAT is like Colbert.

~>conner

Edited by PhantomR

:P GEEZ........LIGHTEN UP...IT STILL IS DRUM CORPS....(change is constant in life) :blush:

no. according to the poem, it's marching band.

we suck. :(

~>conner