Ode to Real Drum Corps

As I said over in the DCI forum...it was written as the person's viewpoint on modern drum corps...not as a joke...I saw it on the Yahoo 60's and 70's group a few years back.

And...you see a bunch on this thread high-fiving what it says.

As one who marched, taught and judged in drum corps from 64-80, plus judging two DCA shows in 1990, I find it abhorrent.

Again and again...

mea culpa

mea culpa

mea culpa

I'm sorry.

I thought it was a joke. I figured a few would take it seriously and that's why it isn't on the DCI side, or wasn't until it was quoted.

I asked a moderator to remove the poem or whole post, but no such luck.

If you want a personal apology let me know and I'll pm you.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Asymetrics":

The Baltimore Yankee Rebels "May" have been the "Firts" with an "Asymetric" drill. Their 1969 "Requiem" Civil War pagent had the corps "Divided & Re-United" for the second half of the show.

I could be wrong here, but....

I seem to remember reading somewhere, or hearing from someone who would have a reason to know such things, that part of Gail Royer's inspiration for the S.C. Vanguard's multi-meter section of "A Young Person's Guide To Orchestra".... 1973-74.... came from that Yankee Rebel production, with its "split corps" and different tempos.

Fran

I remember watching an old 8mm home movie of our first drill with the Brookhaven Crusaders in 1965, but there was no sound, perhaps a good thing. We were so young and the shakos bobbed on our heads

Anyhow, our whole drill was Asymmetrical. Problem was... it wasn't supposed to be. :ph34r::wub:

I could be wrong here, but....

I seem to remember reading somewhere, or hearing from someone who would have a reason to know such things, that part of Gail Royer's inspiration for the S.C. Vanguard's multi-meter section of "A Young Person's Guide To Orchestra".... 1973-74.... came from that Yankee Rebel production, with its "split corps" and different tempos.

Fran

"Royer's Inspiration":

You actually nailed it. The late G.R. was intervied in by an DCW writer back in the late 1970s. He stated in that interview that the Rebels "Requiem" was his template for "Young Person's Guide".

You have a great memory!!!!!

Elphaba

"Royer's Inspiration":

You actually nailed it. The late G.R. was intervied in by an DCW writer back in the late 1970s. He stated in that interview that the Rebels "Requiem" was his template for "Young Person's Guide".

Elphaba

I think beginning in 73-74 (?) when corps could enter from the entire back sideline drills were mainly symmetrical up until 80 when SCV broke the mold. In retrospect then, drills were symmetrical for a fairly short time

Edited by Scerpella

Elphaba

Except for the days when by noontime I can't remember what I had for breakfast! :P

Fran

As one who marched, taught and judged in drum corps from 64-80, plus judging two DCA shows in 1990, I find it abhorrent.

WOW! Entire nations have been formed in response to such an attitude of intolerance. As one who marched, taught and judged in drum corps from 64 to the present, I find it entirely normal for the older "veterans" to exhibit selective memory- but to find it abhorent puts you squarely in the same boat lost in the sea of narrow mindedness!

I say vive la difference, apples + oranges, etc. Can't we take the high road and just recognize and respect diverse points of view?

WOW! Entire nations have been formed in response to such an attitude of intolerance. As one who marched, taught and judged in drum corps from 64 to the present, I find it entirely normal for the older "veterans" to exhibit selective memory- but to find it abhorent puts you squarely in the same boat lost in the sea of narrow mindedness!

I say vive la difference, apples + oranges, etc. Can't we take the high road and just recognize and respect diverse points of view?

I loved when I marched...after I marched...right up to today.

I enjoy alumni corps, and I have purchased 1971 and 72 videos of my corps....and hopefully more down the road.

That doesn't mean I should think it is OK for him to trash the performers and designers of today in order to inflate his opinion of old time drum corps.

He is free to believe what he wishes, as I am free to comment when I see something I find distasteful and demeaning.

Ask Jimbalaya, I'm sure it was scrapple and dippy ekks b**bs

Judging by Fran's Hawaiian shirts, I would think a North Shore Oahu breakfast would be more like it. A half a can of sliced, fried Spam covered with pineapple sauce, 2 oversized pancakes, 6 eggs, 1/2 lb of bacon, 1/2 lb boiled white rice and home fries with peppers and onions, all covered with a mango/papaya salsa. Unfortunatly....there is no Yeungling in Hawaii to wash it down.

Jim Ormiston......Park City Pride :mmm: :mmm: :mmm: :mmm: