Ode to Real Drum Corps

Judging by Fran's Hawaiian shirts, I would think a North Shore Oahu breakfast would be more like it. A half a can of sliced, fried Spam covered with pineapple sauce, 2 oversized pancakes, 6 eggs, 1/2 lb of bacon, 1/2 lb boiled white rice and home fries with peppers and onions, all covered with a mango/papaya salsa. Unfortunatly....there is no Yeungling in Hawaii to wash it down.

Jim Ormiston......Park City Pride :mmm: :mmm: :mmm: :mmm:

Ah yes, the CardioVascular Special #1. Yummmmmmm!

Ray

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by Fran's Hawaiian shirts, I would think a North Shore Oahu breakfast would be more like it. A half a can of sliced, fried Spam covered with pineapple sauce, 2 oversized pancakes, 6 eggs, 1/2 lb of bacon, 1/2 lb boiled white rice and home fries with peppers and onions, all covered with a mango/papaya salsa. Unfortunatly....there is no Yeungling in Hawaii to wash it down.

OK.... everything except the white rice. That stuff can kill you. B)

Fran

No Yuengling.... and they call it Paradise.. *snort*

For Jimbayalas' benefit - substitue 'Victory' for 'Yuengling'

I liked the poem, I laughed

I take interest in kids currently marching

my drum corps sponsored kids in Surf & Cadets

I went to I&E and rehearsals in support of our sponsored

Luckily my dad explained how corps was when he was a kid in Philly

I appreciate the old school and the new and dislike some of both

most people feel the same way

kids from Impulse yelled at me bcz I was wearing a Lancer's shirt

the DCI drummer I personally sponsored was wearing my Reilly jacket

another kid asked him who that was, he said, thats Reilly, they were the #### back in the day

made me grin

in another post I noted once tempos go to 240 they can march half time and be right back where we all started

some things have been lost though and it is sad

but look at the Crossmen, they made a point to educate members on corps history

it is like band when you lose tradition and the connection to generations prior

eh, Ive meandered enough to lose direction

the Dream contest forum was educational

it is like band when you lose tradition and the connection to generations prior.

Now that is class. It transcends the petty squabbling from one generation to another.. It can be very difficult to know where you are going....if you don't know where you came from or how you got to where you are now.

Jim Ormiston.....Park City Pride :mmm: :mmm: :mmm:

Edit by MikeD to fix the quotes

Now that is class. It transcends the petty squabbling from one generation to another.. It can be very difficult to know where you are going....if you don't know where you came from or how you got to where you are now.

Jim Ormiston.....Park City Pride :mmm: :mmm: :mmm:

Edit by MikeD to fix the quotes

:) couldn't have said it any better..... :)

some things have been lost though and it is sad

it is like band when you lose tradition and the connection to generations prior

Gotta be careful there. I'll bet there are some band members form Penn State, Ohio State, UCLA, Grambling, UofMA, and on and on, that would love to come over to your house and show you some band history if you make comments like that too often. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I think Vanguard was the first Drum Corps to do an asymetrical drill in 1980 ... They came in 7th that year, and a lot of people thought the drill was kind of neat, but more or less a novelty. It didn't have the velocity and constant motion that Zingali introduced with the Cadets a few years later.

There were a lot of old-timers to dumped on the style of marching that followed from The Cadets' innovations, calling it "follow-the-leader" and arguing that it lacked the precision of squad drills, etc.

Heh, I marched that show in '80 and we didn't think we were performing a novelty at all. We believed we were innovators with that drill and we were aware of it at the time. We were out to blow some drum corps minds! There's much more to it than just asymmetry. There is a circle of sops moving across the field while collapsing and rotating (called the "Death Star") during "Jupiter", for example. Without that drill, there would be no Zingali squeeze. Please give Pete Emmons a little credit.

Don't think we deserved that 7th place finish, but true, there were a lot of good corps that year in the middle pack. I don't think SCV was particularly bad, it's just that a lot of other corps that usually were not top 5 corps had banner years. Bridgemen and Spirit were both at their peaks (and very popular with the crowd). 27 was very strong, as was Madison. If you look at the scores, you can see that after BD, 27, and perhaps Bridgemen it was a battle for 4-7 place that year. The top 7 corps all within 3 points? Now that's a tight squeeze.

I thought our show was one of the most underrated shows in DCI lore. Please go back and take a second look. I only wish that we'd played "Caravan" for concert rather than "Evita" (as recorded on the "State of the Art" CD). I really did enjoy playing "Jupiter". What a great chart for baritones.

Edited by scv guy