Who is Marching King in DCA?

King just released their "Kings of the Field" in which they're featuring 7 DCI Div. I corps and a DCUK corps marching King hornlines. Since I've been rehearsing with a brand spankin' new King mello in my hands with Chops, I was wondering what other DCA corps march King horns.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

King just released their "Kings of the Field" in which they're featuring 7 DCI Div. I corps and a DCUK corps marching King hornlines. Since I've been rehearsing with a brand spankin' new King mello in my hands with Chops, I was wondering what other DCA corps march King horns.

Capital Brass! uses King Mellos exclusively. We have a set of 6 - a couple brand new, the others only a couple of years old.

The Austin Stars have a few Kings. And World Gone Mad also from Austin has a few Kings. Unfortunately to have a "new" King in this day and age means you're in Bb (or F). It'd be nice if they still made those two valve versions that are still sought after, even today.

The Austin Stars have a few Kings. And World Gone Mad also from Austin has a few Kings. Unfortunately to have a "new" King in this day and age means you're in Bb (or F). It'd be nice if they still made those two valve versions that are still sought after, even today.

I know I would kill for a King K-70 2-valve G baritone bugle.

I don't mean this figuratively. If you own one and I find out, your life is over.

I would kill for a new set of matching Kings. Literally.

Id kill for a set of NEW Bb / F King Ultimate Marching Brass ... with the 3 valve tubas with the left view window and all 3rd baritones on euph.

Yes. our Kings are in F.

But we expermented with a number of other makes, and found these to be exceptional!

I own a K-60, a nice horn. But I think some of the P/R frenchies have a prettier sound. Granted that only the K-60 doesn't get weird on you when pushing the extreme volume levels.

I own a King 1141SP BBb marching tuba. It plays well, sounds good, but is awkward to hold, and plays very flat by default. Although it can be adjusted with some post factory mods. Other minor issues like compressed valve springs vibrating and creating other than note sounds. Which is odd since they're quite strong springs to start with. The three valve version does appear to be the better horn. Despite the 1141 flaws, it does almost completely disassemble which makes it fairly easy to give it a full cleaning. Assuming you have the correct extra long allen wrench needed to disassemble it.

I've played on the Trumpet and it's more open than a Bach 37, but not quite as open as the Olds P/R or Kanstul Powerbore. A nice horn though.

I really would love to get a chance to play on one of te King 1141SP horns ... see what they are like ... Im partial to 4th valves for some reason ... maybe one of these days I can find one to try ..... anyone at DCA this year gonna have a King 1141SP with em that I can try ???

I really would love to get a chance to play on one of the King 1141SP horns ... see what they are like ... Im partial to 4th valves for some reason ... maybe one of these days I can find one to try ..... anyone at DCA this year gonna have a King 1141SP with em that I can try ???

The 4th valve on the 1141 is virtually useless. It's not in a natural playing position. Being recessed inside the tubing in combination with the large valve movement needed to fully engage it, makes it really odd to use. On the flip side the three main valves are positioned in such a way that you can wear a ball cap and not have the brim hitting your fingers and/or the valve(s). The case is nice too.