Who is Marching King in DCA?

I never understood what the big deal was about having 4 valves. I have 3, and I don't even need all of them! The VR horn I first played got the job done. The 2 valve I had was a little less awkward, I'll admit. But that's about all I ever needed.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never understood what the big deal was about having 4 valves.

The 4 valved horns are generally bigger horns. The main draw in my opinion is the size. They also weigh more (worth more when you scrap them to a recycler). And you have the option of playing a low F (treble) or Eb(bass) an octave and a fifth below the tuning note. You could in theory also take your entire part down an octave, baring that intonation and missing quarter tone issue in a non-compensating valved instrument.

I would have to agree that in the old days when your part never/rarely went below a fifth below your tuning note, you didn't need a 3rd valve, or a 4th valve. But in this day and age, especially in Bb instruments you spend most of your time playing below the tuning note. Which requires the extra valves to play, and/or the alternate fingerings to compensate for tuning. What used to be a Euphonium part(4th baritone) in the old days passes for a 2nd and sometimes 1st baritone part these days. Or at least that's my perception.

FWIW, the King 3 valve contra actually specs bigger than the 4 valve contra. Larger bore, larger bell, which is why I wanted a 3 valve horn. But Phantom sold their set of 3 valved tubas to a school, so I had to settle for having a 4th valve and a smaller bore. Since I needed one this season. And most other BBb marching tubas, even used ones, retail at much higher rates, and many of those without cases.

LOL..... when I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about who is the best marcher in DCA. "I'm the Marching King of DCA!!!!!"

OK..... so I do have too much time on my hands. B)

Fran

I have one Kevin. Bought it on Ebay for $500 about 4 years ago and it was touch and go if the guy who had it would ever ship. He kept citing "personal" issues but finally did ship the horn about 3 weeks after I paid.

The shock of the whole thing was the condition. Better than expected from the one pic he posted. The horn and case don't have a mark on them. Looks like it was delivered right from the factory to a corps that bought them but never took the field. He was from the Northwest so I'm guessing it may have been the Marauders.

I know I would kill for a King K-70 2-valve G baritone bugle.

I don't mean this figuratively. If you own one and I find out, your life is over.

LOL..... when I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about who is the best marcher in DCA. "I'm the Marching King of DCA!!!!!"

OK..... so I do have too much time on my hands. B)

Fran

So did I. :P

ps nice shirt. ^0^

The Austin Stars have a few Kings. And World Gone Mad also from Austin has a few Kings. Unfortunately to have a "new" King in this day and age means you're in Bb (or F). It'd be nice if they still made those two valve versions that are still sought after, even today.

Actually the great majority of our horns are Kings owned by WGM. Because we have ended up with more horn players than planned, the extra people are playing on their own personal horns.

Joe

World Gone Mad Austin's Rock and Roll Drum Corps

Austin, TX

Edited by kempej01@texasbb.com

The 4th valve on the 1141 is virtually useless. It's not in a natural playing position. Being recessed inside the tubing in combination with the large valve movement needed to fully engage it, makes it really odd to use. On the flip side the three main valves are positioned in such a way that you can wear a ball cap and not have the brim hitting your fingers and/or the valve(s). The case is nice too.

I got the same impression of that 4th valve when I tried it at the NAMM show a couple years ago. I kinda like the idea of a left hand 4th valve, but that design is terrible.

So did I. :P

ps nice shirt. ^0^

same here. :wub:

maybe our brains all are still suffering some collective issues from Saturday. :beer:

I have one Kevin. Bought it on Ebay for $500 about 4 years ago and it was touch and go if the guy who had it would ever ship. He kept citing "personal" issues but finally did ship the horn about 3 weeks after I paid.

The shock of the whole thing was the condition. Better than expected from the one pic he posted. The horn and case don't have a mark on them. Looks like it was delivered right from the factory to a corps that bought them but never took the field. He was from the Northwest so I'm guessing it may have been the Marauders.

Hmmmmm.................. I've got about 11 of those bad boys on hand, and a couple AWOL.

However, I don't think your horn could possibly be one of the missing ones. Although all in very good condition, I would not describe any of our K-70's as unmarked, and all our cases had considerable wear.

Edited by tick ticky tick