Ballard Screamers

haha, I thought it was hilariously sad when I heard how bad the last note on Champions Fanfare was on the DVD.

Yeah and those people that do that crap are supposedly taught by "great" instructors" and are part of "great" hornlines, yet their members can't help but sound like a middle school trumpet student having a p*ssing contest with the other drooling hacks. But that's just my view, I am sure someone will come in and tell me how my opinion is wrong or that they think those types of things are good. But they will have a point. Those types of musical "moments" sound good if we like things that are grossly out of tune and lack any musical quality in relation to characteristic sound, but who would want quality when you can have crap.

Yeah and those people that do that crap are supposedly taught by "great" instructors" and are part of "great" hornlines, yet their members can't help but sound like a middle school trumpet student having a p*ssing contest with the other drooling hacks. But that's just my view, I am sure someone will come in and tell me how my opinion is wrong or that they think those types of things are good. But they will have a point. Those types of musical "moments" sound good if we like things that are grossly out of tune and lack any musical quality in relation to characteristic sound, but who would want quality when you can have crap.

well, I think the sound is a reflection of how the corps act while waiting for retreat to begin....

One of my favorite drum corps moments is "Take it home Santa Clara!" I really don't think it's annoying... except for maybe when the guys copied it in '92... unless it was the same guys three years later, it's just not as awesome.

-Weedy

Ducks?

lmao...I was thinking the same thing when I read the title. If you have some tobacco in your mouth it does make sense though. "Rickay Bobbeh, wut duh you reckun we do with 'dem old ballard screamers?"

edit: I get chills everytime I hear the guy yell "Beautiful" at the end of star's ballad in '90.

Edited by Medeabrass

i actually thought this thread was about mixed feelings relating to having screamers on trumpet (or mello, in magic '98's case) doing their thing within the course of a ballad.

i personally dont mind them, in that case. bd in the early 90's, crossmen '02, etc....works for me.

During the 2002 Cavies show, I think I heard someone yell "Go Brad". Probably a reference to Brandon Barrometti.

Somewhat off topic, but the 1981 recordings had a ridiculous amount of crown noise in them. The two that really stick in my mind were

27th Lancers drum feature--Some guy with a broad Philly accent yells his food and drink order to someone. "Ham and Cheese!! BEEEAAAHHR!!"

Phantom--midway through the show, as the corps is softly playing backfield getting ready to turn and blast, some guy starts yelling "You can do it!! It's there!! Do it!!"

That "some guy" yelling during the Regiment's show in 1981 was the late, great John Brazale. He was always very vocal on the sidelines at Finals, but in 1981 there were microphones placed dangerously close to the area where the corps' staffs were allowed to stand. You can hear encouraging comments yelled by staff members from several corps on the '81 recordings. In the case of Brazale, changing the microphone placement may not have made a difference – during the backfield build to the hit in the Love Theme from Spartacus, you can hear him yell "c'mon!!!" so loudly it actually echoes off the back wall/roof of Olympic Stadium. In addition to being a brilliant drill/color guard designer, the man had one #### of a set of pipes!

• Like 1

No, you're pretty much right. No arguments here.

And for the record, I played CF exactly as it was written :P

I thought it was funny when I heard that the Colt Cadets shouted (judges are you ready) "they were conceived ready" for the Colts.

In the 06 semis recording of the colts someone yelled Hot "dang" after the big release in As time goes by. What a wonderful way to ruin a great release.

Edited by dcf06