Help! Is it worth it?

yay! I can post now!

Ok. I want to try out for an independent indoor guard, but im in hs. I cant join my hs guard because Im a guy, and they don't allow it (and I'll get made fun of). My mom is totall against the idea of me in guard, but my dad puts up with it. I want to audition for eklipse, and I was wondering, should I cause another fight with my parents to try to get them to let me audition? Is it really worth it? And if so, what is the best rifle to get? Ive been with flag for a year now, thanks to a friend who teaches me during band class.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES! Go for it! I'm amazed that your mother wouldn't want you to do something you WANT to do.

Eklipse is certainly worth it. They are a great organization, and you will learn so much (about the activity, yourself, the world). I marched there the first year and kick myself often for not going back in the years that followed. But, just in general, a winter guard will be the perfect place for you to learn and grow as a performer and person.

As far as rifle, buy a Premier rifle. They are amazing!

If you feel you will get something out of it (and I'm sure you will, be it experience on equipment & movement, the experience of performing something you love, meeting life-long friends, etc.) it would totally be worth it. You have to decide that for yourself. If it's something you really want to do, don't let anyone or anything get in your way of achieving your goals.

The trick is getting your parents to see the beneficial side of the experience. The education, the travel, the experiences, the friendships. Focus on those aspects, and not so much on how much it is going to cost, etc.

When they see your commitment to it, I think they will soften up some. :)

Good Luck!

DO IT! March anywhere as long as you can march.

My mom hasn't been all that supportive the seasons I've marched (especially the independent ones) but she knows I am serious about it.

Independent guards take up a ton of time however, that was her main beef with it. Even when I made all As and Bs my first year of college while performing she wasn't that thrilled.

BUUUUUUUUT

Don't let that discourage you, if you are serious and work hard, eventually your parents will realize it and they'll be okay with it.

Correct. Under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."

If it's a public school or receives any funding from the state, they can't discriminate based on sex.

Correct. Under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."

If it's a public school or receives any funding from the state, they can't discriminate based on sex.

I'd be curious to hear from a legal expert on that. I would imagine that most winterguard programs don't receive federal funding. So they might be exempt. Besides that, from a practical matter, do you really want to bring a lawsuit against your school? And then deal with the fall-out from that? I certainly wouldn't...

Winterguards use school insurance, so they receive funding from the government.

If there is not an equal opportunity for the other gender (aka an all male guard with the same opportunities for achievement), it is in violation of federal law.

Take it from someone who was degraded by staff because he wanted to be in guard, a lawsuit would have really made things right. But unfortunately, most Catholic high schools are exempt from Title IX.

Unfortunalty there are still guard people out there who still do not want guys in the guard. While I'm all for fighting the right fight and this is the right fight. If you do not have the support of your family it would be almost an impossiable task. So my sugestion is this go try out for an indenpendent guard, go where you will have a possitive experince. As long as you are not able to march for your school there are no rules to stop you from marching ind. Being a parent and watching very talented young man loose interest in guard because of an unsupportive guard director is very diffucalt thing to watch. Take your talent and love of the sport where it will be appericated. It will be your schools loss and your gain. Have your mom read the story posted on WGI website today about how parents of members feel about there childs experinces in guard. While they may not be happy about your choice of guard if they see how much it means to you they should be able to accept it. After all as parents all we really want is the best for our kids and for them to be happy. Although it may not always seem that way to the kids. Try to get them involved it's addictive.

Edited by guardjul123

Take it from someone who was degraded by staff because he wanted to be in guard, a lawsuit would have really made things right. But unfortunately, most Catholic high schools are exempt from Title IX.

I'm not sure a lawsuit would have "made things right." It might have gotten you in the guard. But more likely it would have been tied up in court for years and you would have been given permission to be in the HS guard around the time you were 20. Not to mention, if you had won, you're not likely to be treated particularly well by the staff, teachers and admin at the school, and other students who you've just taken to court. Besides that, there's the ethical question of tying up the time and money of an educational institution in court so you can get in the color guard. Schools have far more pressing issues to deal with, not to mention far better things to do with their money. I know this is a whole different discussion, but the overwhelming propensity for litigiousness in our society makes me sick.