Straps!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally hate straps. The exception is if you are doing strapwork with the rifle during that particular part of the show. And in that case I want to see ALOT of strap work, not just a few twists and turns, then back to regular rifle work.

Alot of people say straps are essential for that "SLAP or SNAP" sound when catching a toss. Well ya know what folks, if you catch the rifle correctly flat handed you already get a loud "SLAP."

Alot of times I just have my guards use strapless rifles, it looks alot cleaner anyway & it's easier for them to handle the equipment witout a strap in the way.

That's my opinion.

I have nothing against straps, but then again we did some decent strap work in the guard I was in.

Northern Lights always had a few strap work phrases.....hard strap phrases too.

I'd die without straps...it's how I learned. Necessary, not really. It's usually instructor's preference.

Yeah definitely not necessary. I certainly prefer having the strap. Just more traditional. I feel like Emerald Marquis tended to not use straps. I don't know of many others that didn't. You definitely can't get the same typical slap sound without that strap though. Some even take it to the next level and will put little metal clickers on the gun and strap to make it slap even louder. I find that the strap itself is plenty of noise for my taste. That's just my oppinion.

Yeah, the guards i've been in all put pennies or nickels in the straps to make the snap louder. LOVE IT! My guard kids all like the strap.... well, ok the new ones think it gets in the way. But once they get the hang of things, they don't mind it at all.

I personally love the strap, it helps the rifle feel more balanced, to me at least. I'm not really against the no-strap way, but for some reason, I always associate no straps to prep guards, I don't know why.

For field shows I always liked to attach nickels to my strap for more effect. I don't think it's really neccessary for indoor events, unless there's a silent rifle phrase where you want a nice impactful snap with the catch. But, I've found that taping nickels to the straps is more haslle than it's worth. The nickels tend to chew the rifles up something awful.