Cadets corps song

Unless I'm mistaken Somewhere Over The Rainbow isn't the Cavies corps song. I believe their corps song is called "The Corps Song" and is to the tune of something else.

I've heard conflicting opinions on whether or not the Cadets corps song is supposed to be top secret or whatever so I won't post the lyrics for you, but yes the tune is O Tannenbaum and no the words aren't the same.

Thank you for your polite reply.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...I can say this...

The Madison Scouts corps song, You'll Never Walk Alone is straight off the Rogers and Hammerstein music/lyric. There may be a word or two changed, but not so much that anyone rewrote the words.

As far as the Cavaliers corps song. In the playing version it starts with the Coast Guard Hymn and moves into Over the Rainbow. The lyrics, which start out as I believe "We are the corps, the Cavaliers" are in fact to the melody of the Coast Guard Hymn.

As far as "getting the words" to a corps song, well...the melody is O, Tannenbaum, or Oh, Christmas Tree-depending upon whether or not you are using the traditional German version or the English translation. If you have the tour DVD and listen to the corps sing it, and you really want the lyric, listen and learn it, but I would not suggest asking members or condemning them for not wanting to simply give the alternate lyrics that the corps has changed the words to, which have made it their "corps song."

Furthermore, I don't think it's right to blast someone for being curious and getting bent out of shape because someone asked for something. Songs are sacred, that's a fact, heck, I only want to hear the Madison Scouts sing You'll Never Walk Alone, yet there's a major university in Illinois that has adopted our arrangement of the hornbook and lyrics to make their own "marching band song," but to attack someone and question whether or not they marched simply for being curious and not "leaving well enough alone" is not the right way to handle this question. An IM would work best considering this person started their statement off by saying "sorry if I SEEMED disrespectful."

Just my thoughts though.

Unless I'm mistaken Somewhere Over The Rainbow isn't the Cavies corps song. I believe their corps song is called "The Corps Song" and is to the tune of something else.

Semper Paratus, which is the official march of the US Coast Guard.

I think the name of the Cadets version is "O Holy Name".

Well...I can say this...

The Madison Scouts corps song, You'll Never Walk Alone is straight off the Rogers and Hammerstein music/lyric. There may be a word or two changed, but not so much that anyone rewrote the words.

As far as the Cavaliers corps song. In the playing version it starts with the Coast Guard Hymn and moves into Over the Rainbow. The lyrics, which start out as I believe "We are the corps, the Cavaliers" are in fact to the melody of the Coast Guard Hymn.

As far as "getting the words" to a corps song, well...the melody is O, Tannenbaum, or Oh, Christmas Tree-depending upon whether or not you are using the traditional German version or the English translation. If you have the tour DVD and listen to the corps sing it, and you really want the lyric, listen and learn it, but I would not suggest asking members or condemning them for not wanting to simply give the alternate lyrics that the corps has changed the words to, which have made it their "corps song."

Furthermore, I don't think it's right to blast someone for being curious and getting bent out of shape because someone asked for something. Songs are sacred, that's a fact, heck, I only want to hear the Madison Scouts sing You'll Never Walk Alone, yet there's a major university in Illinois that has adopted our arrangement of the hornbook and lyrics to make their own "marching band song," but to attack someone and question whether or not they marched simply for being curious and not "leaving well enough alone" is not the right way to handle this question. An IM would work best considering this person started their statement off by saying "sorry if I SEEMED disrespectful."

Just my thoughts though.

You're correct. I didn't realize I was being disrespectful to her when I said that, and I apologize if I was. But I was just replying because it seemed that she was being disrespectful as well. I just wanted her to understand that most corps hold their traditions sacred. Didn't intend to be a jerk to her at all. Sorry again.

You're correct. I didn't realize I was being disrespectful to her when I said that, and I apologize if I was. But I was just replying because it seemed that she was being disrespectful as well. I just wanted her to understand that most corps hold their traditions sacred. Didn't intend to be a jerk to her at all. Sorry again.

Hey man, I hear where you coming from, and I share your sentiment, I think it's one of those things where people aren't able to judge actual reaction because we are typing. Peace.

Edited by toddschultz

Hey man, I hear where you coming from, and I share your sentiment, I think it's one of those things where people aren't able to judge actual reaction because we are typing. Peace.

Very true. And Melissa, I apologize again. Have a good day.

It's no secret. I know Cadets alumni who have told me what the words are, I've stood close by when they have sung it and nobody told me that it was a secret, and Cadets members have posted the lyrics online in other places. A few words here or there might be different, but here it is...and for the record, I found them posted on RAMD by a former member of the Cadets.

O Holy Name, thy Holy Name

Thy Name shall be eternally

Thy Name shall spread throughout the land

And keep us safe forevermore

When on the trail, or on the march

Always hear Thy Holy Name

March straight and true to victory

Thy Holy Name shall always be

It's a pretty cool thing to witness them singing this. As is any time you can witness a corps performing a tradition that means a lot to them.

After experiencing the rudeness of some of them today, I no longer cared what the lyrics were. But thanx for posting them.

I guess I have just purchased my last souvie from the Cadets. Wish I hadn't have bought the tour DVDs in the first place now.

After experiencing the rudeness of some of them today, I no longer cared what the lyrics were. But thanx for posting them.

I guess I have just purchased my last souvie from the Cadets. Wish I hadn't have bought the tour DVDs in the first place now.

Come on now. You are basing this on the responses of two people?

To be quite honest you started it by complaining about people considering the lyrics sacred and calling it a ripped off Christmas carol.

Edit: Would you feel the same way if you had asked a Cavalier or Phantom member what Splooie or SUTA meant and they didn't want to tell you? Would you have said "Are you kidding me? A word being sacred?" and then not expected people to get defensive?

Edited by dbc03