The Cadets launch essay contest

article on dci.org

In February, the Cadets were asked by Director George Hopkins to bare their beliefs. As part of the member's experience, they were asked to share what they believe. What values were central? What makes a difference for the young adults who are Cadets? Once written, their close-held thoughts and values that guide them through life could ultimately end up as part of the corps' 2007 field program, "This I Believe."

As the the Cadets “moved in” for their spring training at West Virginia Wesleyan College in Buckhannon, W.Va., we now begin to share what these 135 dynamic individuals use as their guiding principles.

The four-weeks of intense rehearsals leading into the summer tour for the Cadets also signaled the launch of the corps’ "This I Believe" essay contest, where fans, supporters and their families can open up the dialogue to what they personally believe.

Submit your essay on the values you hold dear - what beliefs carry you through life today - and your winning essay could lead to you being invited to enter the field as part of the classic Cadets' ‘block' during one of 33 performances this summer.

A new essay winner will take the field with the Cadets every time the corps performs their return-to-tradition program, "This I Believe." The first winner will join the corps for their debut Drum Corps International event on June 16 in Annapolis, Md.

ummmm?? :beer:

btw, does this mean the contest is only open to those of marching age?

Edited by corps fan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what the heck is the winner going to do with the corps???? Take the field and then book the heck outta there if they're over age???

Can't stick 'em in the Main Guard.....

Great now I have the old song "This I Believe" stuck in my head... B)

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

The sounds the corps makes has nothing to do with tradition. Tradition runs so much deeper than that.

Agreed... and in mho, those of us that dont like the new stuff should be greatful for what they are giving us. Ive seen the new 'old' uniforms, and they look great. No singing, no props (i hope) no pink benches or funky characters, the return to 'the block', classic fast in your face music (relatively speaking)...the list goes on. I had the chance to hear almost the whole show with the narration a few days ago, and while im not in love with it, I think its great that george is focusing on one and only one of his 'innovations' and attempting to do it well, instead of trying to change the world in one year and doing a mediocre job.

Edited by euponitone

Didn't National Public Radio do a "This I Believe" series a few years ago? Is this what Cadets are doing. Sure sounds like it.

Didn't National Public Radio do a "This I Believe" series a few years ago? Is this what Cadets are doing. Sure sounds like it.

Thats exactly what it is. I think the original "this I believe" came out in the 50s, and they revived it a few years ago

I wonder if I could win with something like this: "This I believe, narration while I'm trying to watch a drum corps is annoying at best. I believe a corps performance on the field should be able to stand on it's own feet without gimmicks and 'enhancements.'"