Adding a new division to DCI to permit any instrumentation does what you say. Right now it is less diverse than it can be.

I do not believe there is enough corps to sustain D1 drum corps and an anything goes division. It doesn't look like there will be any time soon. Too bad, because that could solve this situation.

And...it's not two activities...it's the same one.

Sorry Mike, you are way of base here. That's like saying a string quartet is the same as a symphony orchestra.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the exclusively brass and percussion idiom would cease to exist.

Only if people give up on it as easily as you seem to think they will. I tend to have a lot more faith that the passion which is on display here every day in opposition to such things like woodwinds in drum corps would do a fine job of manifesting itself into maintaining the brass and percussion only sound of drum corps. Whether it happens as a separate division of DCI (which I think is unlikely) or as a completely separate circuit, it will continue to exist as long as people want it to. And if people are as passionate about it as they seem to be, one would think that if DCI were to ever make such a rule change happen (which I also think is unlikely), then DCA should reap the benefits of all that passion and that circuit would thrive and prosper because of it. Regardless, your defeatist attitude is surprising.

There is nothing that looks more powerful than a saxaphone section with their horms to the box......and their neckstraps.......

it isn't drum corps. I can handle amps. I can handle Alice in Wonderland. No to the saxophones.

Push the creative envelope? We aren't even near exhaustion of what we currently have.

Adding a new division to DCI to permit any instrumentation does what you say. Right now it is less diverse than it can be.

blowing an air horn during the performance of Vivaldi's Four Seasons would be diversity.

having the entire string section sit on a whoopie cushion at a quiet moment in Stravinsky's Petrushka would be diversity.

Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries performed entirely on piccolo and kazoo would be diversity.

diversity does not = better...diversity = different

Drum and Bugle corps ceased to exist when horns were no longer bugles and drums turned into percussion.

Mike, it's still a brass choir with percussion. That's still different than brass, woodwinds, strings, and percussion. It's about the "fundamental" sound change.

Going from bugles to "just" brass instruments may have changed the sound, but it wasn't a change like this. Besides, we already have marching bands.... Let's keep the diversity.

I don't think DCI will ever let the sound change so drastically.

Well, adding another division would take care of the issue for me, but that's not likely to happen. There's already an organization that takes care of that. Perhaps BOA should add a summer band again. Let's see if it will be successful this time around.

And, it's still two activities. They're different. They're a subset of musical groups. It's really apparent. Draw a Vinn Diagram. Use logic.

Woodwinds are the joke of Drum Corps. They're OK in their own envrionment, but I would never pay to see or hear them at a Drum Corps show.

There is nothing that looks more powerful than a saxaphone section with their horms to the box......and their neckstraps.......

it isn't drum corps. I can handle amps. I can handle Alice in Wonderland. No to the saxophones.

Push the creative envelope? We aren't even near exhaustion of what we currently have.

Saxes, I can stand. In a marching band. What cracks me up is seeing flutes and pics go to the box, or seeing the crisp power of a clarinet section snapping the horns to playing position.

My argument against woodwinds? Forget history, forget tradition, just realize that woodwinds look ridiculous when marched.

I would

and I can think of other things that are a joke in drum corps much more than woodwinds...

How about a person running around in a white rabbit suit?

I find that to be quite a funny joke.