DCI and McDonalds

Nothing makes me sicker than seeing a corps leave a housing site 30 bags of trash for a two day stay.

150 people would still produce 15 bags of trash per day wherever they were...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

150 people would still produce 15 bags of trash per day wherever they were...

agreed.

~>conner

well you could always wash and re-use (get like plastic cups/plates/etc...) but then thats even more water that you will be using....so either way its not really a win win situation... *shrugs* when you try to conserve one thing, you'll just use more of something else....

i mean i like trying to save and conserve stuff on this earth too..don't get me wrong, but still....do the parents have enough time to wash even more dishes than they already have to? they do a lot as it is...why add more things to their duties...

well you could always wash and re-use (get like plastic cups/plates/etc...) but then thats even more water that you will be using....so either way its not really a win win situation... *shrugs* when you try to conserve one thing, you'll just use more of something else....

i mean i like trying to save and conserve stuff on this earth too..don't get me wrong, but still....do the parents have enough time to wash even more dishes than they already have to? they do a lot as it is...why add more things to their duties...

Washing dishes/utensiles for reuse is trickier than you may think - health dept's require sterilizer, etc. All to prevent food-borne illness (which nevertheless seems to happent to at least one corps every season. A few years ago it happened to Phantom finals week).

Boston 03...

~>conner

Tom Brace, methinks you know a little TOO much about that McD's menu. Stick with real food.

I love drumcorps, but one of my other passions is saving the planet. Too bad corps use hundreds of cups and plates daily, such a waste. Gas is the least of their problems. Nothing makes me sicker than seeing a corps leave a housing site 30 bags of trash for a two day stay.

Back in 1980 we cut out disposable plates and cups to save money. It was a disaster. Many people got sick from the lack of proper dish washing facilities at many housing sites. Some even took to showering with their plates because the dish water was always so infectiously dirty. Not a good idea.

But, corps could still do a lot by sticking with paper and other biodegradable products and staying away from plastic and the dreaded styrofoam.

If schools were set up to recycle, then corps could easily make a "paper only" trash can and recycle all the plates/cups/forks and toss the leftover food in another.

We need some hybrid buses soon, and not to far in the future are air powered cars, yes I said AIR POWERED. One is coming out in Europe this year and should be in the states in a few years. MDI Air Powered Car

I love drumcorps, but one of my other passions is saving the planet. ...

Matter of fact, my partner and I are doing the website for the air powered car's debut here in the states - watch for it to launch in the next week or so. The site will be accepting refundable deposits on the first 10,000 cars, sold direct from the factory to the consumer - target price - $15,000.00 deposit required - $1,100.00

Some surprising facts about the "CITYCat" (the name they will use here in the states):

1. The engine uses vegetable oil as a lubricant - change recommended at 30,000 miles (no combustion by-products to contaminate the oil).

2. Body is aluminum and fiberglass - very light weight.

3. The range of the vehicle on full air tanks - 170 miles.

4. Time required to recharge air tanks with built-in 110V. compressor - 4-6 hours. One of the challenges the owners will face is there are no "filling stations" built yet. In time, a "Fill-up" of air should take 3 minutes and cost about $3.00. Until then, you will have to plan very carefully.

Our strong suspicion is that the vehicle will make GREAT taxi's and delivery vehicles. They should be very popular with fleet owners

This week's Toledo Free Press carries an article about hybrid (gasoline/electric) cars wherein a local company who shuttles the elderly to health care appointments around Toledo says they spend $1,000.00 per day on gasoline to run their fleet of hybrid vehicles, but would spend $3,000 a day if their fleet were "gasoline-only" cars.

Wish I could toss a link to the new site, but it's still on a tiny little development server, and the traffic from DCP would CRUSH it.

Washing dishes/utensiles for reuse is trickier than you may think - health dept's require sterilizer, etc. All to prevent food-borne illness (which nevertheless seems to happent to at least one corps every season. A few years ago it happened to Phantom finals week).

and thats exactly why im saying theres not enough time to do it, because of all the crap that you have to do to wash them..... the parents have no time for that stuff...

Which is why I'll stick with the burger!! :P

Which is why I haven't eaten at McDonald's in the last 3 years. Super Size Me pretty much turned me off to fast food.