DCI Top 17-25 VHS Tapes & eBay

I have the complete sets (top 25, 5 tapes) of the high-cams from both 1984 and 1985.
I have a single corps performance tape sold by DCI from 1994. I popped it in the machine a couple of weeks ago, and there was some serious degradation issues. It is always interesting to see how some of these things hold up over the years.

DCI holds literally thousands of audio and video recordings which they do not offer on the open market. There is certainly a demand out there for much of it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else noticed how much some of the VHS tapes are going for on eBay lately? Recently, the 1985 Top 25 High Camera version sold for almost $275. I also noticed, if I remember correctly, 1992 Top 25 (not high cam)went for over $100.

The Through the Years series of tapes, when they show up, also go for fairly good cash.

I would pay some pretty good money for any years that my corps didn't make finals or for any corps where the semis or quarters show was better than finals.

Do you think DCI is missing out on making some money by not having these available on DVD?

I have bought just about every thru the years VHS on Ebay (Boston,27th, Kilties, VK, Blue Stars,Blue Knights, Troopers, Freelancers, Dutch Boy, Spirit,Sky Ryders) I have also purchased 85 hi angle prelims and top 17 from 98 and 96. Some of the tapes I paid over $200 for. In the last several months I transferred them all to DVD and sold off the VHS to recoup some of my $. The only Thru the Years I am missing is Crossmen and that will show up one day. DCI is definately missing out on some sales. I think I may 'gift' copies of these DVD's to corps that are still around like Boston. I am such a sucker for this stuff I would probably spend some more $ if DCI offered more 17-25 corps from the 70's, 80's and 90's

I'm not sure how copyright could be an issue for DCI, unless, they purchased copyrights for only the top 12 corps of each year.

When did DCI start requiring proof of permission for arranging, performance and recording? Anyone?

"Calling Michael Boo!!" :)

This topic came up when DCI brought online Season Pass -- it comes down to two issues:

Copyright (which is the main issue)

&

Demand.

Watching the Ebay auctions has been interesting -- the values going up and up. Also, watching the DCA Video sets go up in value.

With a trend of demand on eBay, hopefully it eliminates the issues of whether or not there is Demand for the product -- now it just comes down to Copyright approval.

I would like what I would like to have is a high camera set of all the Champions pre 2000

And

A set of the “13th” Corps – boy, there are some great shows through out the years – 27th Lancers, Florida Wave, Dutch Boy, etc. etc.

I can assure everyone that if there was enough demand to offset the cost of obtaining rights/licensing/whatever for EVERY piece of music in specific shows...enough to cover the incredible expense incurred with each licensing, it would be done.

There are a number of things being considered. I'm not privvy to everything, but I do know DCI is more than aware of what is in their "vaults" and has no interest in denying anyone any show they wish to hear and see.

Much also comes down to logistics. It takes a lot to secure the rights for various projects, and if just one piece can't be secured, that kind of affects the entire performance. A few years ago, before DCI started using a professional music licensing firm, I helped out with a couple years of licensing, and boy, it is a HUGE project.

And before someone points out that WGI offers custom DVDs of whatever shows from their past, it's different than an organization having to secure permission to arrange. There are lots of variables out there. I'm not an expert on it, but I do know it's quite a challenge.

That said, don't give up hope. People are certainly aware of the desire, and if it can be done, it will be done.

I have the "Through the years" of the Lancers and Kilties..interesting...wonder what they would go for...lol.
I've got $10. :P

Hey Lancerlady, I've got $12.00.....that is if you take Canadian Dollars at par !! :blink:

Edited by ODBC

I can assure everyone that if there was enough demand to offset the cost of obtaining rights/licensing/whatever for EVERY piece of music in specific shows...enough to cover the incredible expense incurred with each licensing, it would be done.

There are a number of things being considered. I'm not privvy to everything, but I do know DCI is more than aware of what is in their "vaults" and has no interest in denying anyone any show they wish to hear and see.

Much also comes down to logistics. It takes a lot to secure the rights for various projects, and if just one piece can't be secured, that kind of affects the entire performance. A few years ago, before DCI started using a professional music licensing firm, I helped out with a couple years of licensing, and boy, it is a HUGE project.

And before someone points out that WGI offers custom DVDs of whatever shows from their past, it's different than an organization having to secure permission to arrange. There are lots of variables out there. I'm not an expert on it, but I do know it's quite a challenge.

That said, don't give up hope. People are certainly aware of the desire, and if it can be done, it will be done.

I actually spoke to DCI merchandising a couple of months ago about this. I've been trying to find a multi-cam version of '86 Bluecoats. I was able to finally buy the hi-cam VHS from Brigadier80 on eBay. DCI told me that they don't even know what they have without physically looking through all of the master tapes. I actually find that hard to believe. How could they NOT have some sort of data base of what they have? I mean a simple Excel spreadsheet would be sufficient. Also, they say it would cost several hundred dollars to get a video into DVD (or VHS for that matter) format for sale. They even said that there may have been some losses over the years through moving, etc. They are aware of the demand and do see posts like this, but for some reason think they don't have the manpower to put forth the effort. In other words, they just don't think it's worth it. I'm to the point to where if I had around $500 or so (my guess as to what it would cost me), I would have them find the '86 Bluecoats multi-cam show and put it on DVD for me. Also, the corps itself actually owns the rights to the videos so they can also request them to be put on DVD. If I lived near wherever they store the master tapes, I would volunteer to go there and go through them to help create a data base of what they have.

I am in there with you. Tell me when and where DCI. Free labor. Brigadier, I have some discussions for you to consider.

I actually spoke to DCI merchandising a couple of months ago about this. I've been trying to find a multi-cam version of '86 Bluecoats. I was able to finally buy the hi-cam VHS from Brigadier80 on eBay. DCI told me that they don't even know what they have without physically looking through all of the master tapes. I actually find that hard to believe. How could they NOT have some sort of data base of what they have? I mean a simple Excel spreadsheet would be sufficient. Also, they say it would cost several hundred dollars to get a video into DVD (or VHS for that matter) format for sale. They even said that there may have been some losses over the years through moving, etc. They are aware of the demand and do see posts like this, but for some reason think they don't have the manpower to put forth the effort. In other words, they just don't think it's worth it. I'm to the point to where if I had around $500 or so (my guess as to what it would cost me), I would have them find the '86 Bluecoats multi-cam show and put it on DVD for me. Also, the corps itself actually owns the rights to the videos so they can also request them to be put on DVD. If I lived near wherever they store the master tapes, I would volunteer to go there and go through them to help create a data base of what they have.

The local PBS station in canada did the broadcast of DCI Canada highlights in 1986 in multiple camera angles. It looks very much like the 1984 finals highlights. There are copies of this floating out there.

It is so simple these days to transfer VHS to DVD and get good results. This is especially true if there is no macro vision protection. All you need is a DVD recorder and a VCR. If you record at the lower speed the quality will match or surpass the VHS copy. Even with macrovison there are solutions available to remove the copy protection. I cannot believe that DCE does not even have a list of inventory! I say next year when the Indy move is complete we get a group together and head out a bit early finals week and volunteer to help them document what they have!

I say next year when the Indy move is complete we get a group together and head out a bit early finals week and volunteer to help them document what they have!

it's a good idea-"The DCI Alumni Video Recovery Project." Or how about "DCI Video Division"--DVD for short?