Favorite Soloists.

not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not, but what makes Barbara Maroney's solos in 83 and 84 so much more impressive to me is that she only has one hand!! Meaning that she was playing so perfectly in tune without adjusting her slides. Quite an accomplishment on a mello.

she's also the reason the cadets still do the four-count horn move.

Not quote sure I understand this quote or the prior one about moving slides?

ms. moroney was the mellophone soloist for the garfield cadets in the early 80s.

she has one hand, and a kind of "hook" as the other. (at least that's the way it was in 1984.)

therefore, she could not move her tuning slide while she played, since doing so requires two hands. also, she was unable to do a "fast" horn move from carry to playing position, so the hornline changed its default horn move to the very-slow "up for two, turn for two" so that it would be uniform. the corps still does that horn move today.

ms. moroney was the mellophone soloist for the garfield cadets in the early 80s.

she has one hand, and a kind of "hook" as the other. (at least that's the way it was in 1984.)

therefore, she could not move her tuning slide while she played, since doing so requires two hands. also, she was unable to do a "fast" horn move from carry to playing position, so the hornline changed its default horn move to the very-slow "up for two, turn for two" so that it would be uniform. the corps still does that horn move today.

I see.

Great info on the mello soloist from the Cadets.

The solos from the "West Side Story" show are among some of my favorites.

I had always wondered who it was.

One of the first soloists that comes to mind is ( dont know his/her's name) the Mellophone soloist from the Cadets 1985 Make Our Garden Grow. Beautiful.

Chris Lewis. My first drum corps crush. :tongue: Such a beautiful sound in that solo.

• Like 1

Pete Burnejko

Dennis Argul

Brian Law

Jim Brady

Chez

Barb Maroney

:tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

I looked through the whole thread and cannot believe Morgan Larson from the '85 and '86 Madison Scouts is not mentioned. He was unbelievable...especially the cadenza solo from '86. You talk about being hung out to dry...but he nailed it every single time. I marched Bluecoats that year, and we saw Madison a lot. I never heard him so much as waver a bit. As a fellow soloist of that same time period, I must admit...I never missed their show when we were in the same show because he was downright inspiring to listen to!!!