Cadets Narration

Am I really the only one that thinks, with some tweaking, this could actually turn out to be really cool?

If I want to listen to Malaguena for the 80,000th time, then I'll go watch Madison. But what's wrong with trying something different? If it doesn't work well, then they lose serious points in GE. But if they can find a way to work the narration in seamlessley(especially if the visual program is better than last year...) then I don't see why this can't be a phenomenal show.

I guess I just fail to understand why it's funny when Velvet Knights did these weird, quirky shows and it was fine, but as soon as the beloved "Holy Name" does something like this, it's blasphemy.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realise that I am a mod and I am supposed to be kinda down the middle on most things but I thought that (the narration) stunk. Great way to ruin a good music book. Just because we CAN use amplified voice in our shows doesn't mean that we MUST.

I don't see where being a mod should prohibit you from expressing your opinion. The mod's job is to make sure everyone abides by the forum guidelines.

Feel free to express yourself. B)

I don't see where being a mod should prohibit you from expressing your opinion. The mod's job is to make sure everyone abides by the forum guidelines.

Feel free to express yourself. B)

w/Stp:

I'm with Chris on this. I think, when/if done well, the narration can enhance this show. The audio mix also will be a key.... making sure the brass and narration are blended correctly, so one is not drowning out the other.

And Chris is right..... the narrators need to rehearse sounding more "natural" instead of....well...."rehearsed." But hey....it's early yet.

Fran

Thanks Fran! And this coming from the Voice of DCA! I think you MAY know a thing or two about public speaking. Maybe? b**bs

Am I really the only one that thinks, with some tweaking, this could actually turn out to be really cool?

If I want to listen to Malaguena for the 80,000th time, then I'll go watch Madison. But what's wrong with trying something different? If it doesn't work well, then they lose serious points in GE. But if they can find a way to work the narration in seamlessley(especially if the visual program is better than last year...) then I don't see why this can't be a phenomenal show.

I guess I just fail to understand why it's funny when Velvet Knights did these weird, quirky shows and it was fine, but as soon as the beloved "Holy Name" does something like this, it's blasphemy.

I've only seen Velvet Knights' 1992 show. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they didn't use narration of any kind in that one.

Besides, I don't think the Cadets are trying to put on a weird, quirky show.

From what I've read, I think everyone on here (for the most part) thinks that the show would be great if they just played. IMO, the music can speak for itself. Why lessen the impact of it with words? Why tell someone what they should feel or "get" from the music?

For example, imagine Phantom Regiment's show from last season with narration. It would have completely taken away from the hornline's emotion. I can listen to that show and tell what is happening with Faust and Marguerite without being told by someone saying words in a microphone.

I agree. I love the direction they're going with this. I can't wait to see it live.

OK, I know I said I wouldn't talk about the Cadets this year, and I think I've upheld that pretty well, but I need to make just one exception. I actually thought that clip was very well done. The music, of course, is excellent, thanks to Jay. I think the hornline sounds pretty good as well. They need work, obviously, but who doesn't? Loved the trumpet soloist.

I'm surprised at how well the narration is integrated within the music. For the first time, the Cadets are using narration as part of the overall ensemble, as opposed to featuring it as a foreign element. This, combined with the fact that the spoken portions of this show are actually meaningful, makes the narration a lot less cheesy than it could have been and as past shows have been. No, I don't like this clip or the show so far, but I will say that it's probably the best I've ever heard narration in DCI. If it must be featured, this is the best way I can think of to feature it.

The product so far, I believe, is still cheesy and immature and lacks the grandeur, humility, and beauty of past Cadets shows, but the show designers and the corps have done an excellent job with it, and it is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Is it necessary? No. Would it be better without it? Yes. But it does add something, and it does make it different.

Returning to Cadets silence for the summer...

Edited by Hrothgar15

Honestly if I had not know it was a Cadets clip I would think it was an excerpt from BOA GN's. :ph34r:

They do what they do well as does DCI. Why must the two be merged.