Cadets Narration

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like it.... it's obnoxious and takes away from the music.

sounds like a wonderful arrangement of Blue Shades, just wish we could hear a little more of the music, and a little less talking. I wouldn't be completely opposed to the talking, just wish there was a lot less of it.

It's kind of a shame, you have 64 of the most talented brass players in the nation, and you hide/distort their talent with so much drivel.

I love it. This is a perfect example of how narration can really add to a product and get the point across to the audience in a brand new way.

Actually, I lied. I hate it. Hate is a strong word. I'd use stronger words, but I don't want to try to circumvent the filter. I feel it completely undermines the efforts of the musical arrangers, instructors, and performers.

You know, there's something in George's personality that's always looking for an edge, always wanting to try new and different things. I respect that, and IMO, that's a lot of what makes him a very, very interesting personality. There's a lot of people out there who are pretty much stuck in their ways, and to his credit, we certainly can't say that about George. IMO, this activity is very fortunate to have someone like Hopkins who keeps the soup stirred. Having said all that, new and different doesn't always mean better, and that is where, IMO, his thinking is flawed. It seems that he's bound and determined to use this narration gag, regardless of the ramifications, in his search for some type of new formula he feels he must use......George, narration has been used in Marching band and WGI for years now. Sometimes successfully, but most often not. IMO, This is WAY beneath the level sophistication we've come to expect and enjoy from the Cadets. It's NOT a big innovation. Overused narration at this level of drum corps is like using aluminum bats in MLB. Frivolous change is just that.......frivolous. He said he feels like "he's on deck"......George, please use a wooden bat!

I could not agree more! :ph34r::lol:

WOW! What in the world is going on over there??? The music sounds really great. Why in the world do they need the narration?

WOW! What in the world is going on over there??? The music sounds really great. Why in the world do they need the narration?

This is what I was thinking!!! :ph34r:

Lets ignore the narration for a second...i know :ph34r: ...these comments seem just ignorant. For one the 'hits' that are there are supposed to be there, as they are for the most part, in the original piece. It also complements the narration of course, by leaving some open space, but lets not get into that. As far as the soloist, like others have said, he is playing with a certain style that is fitting to the music. Im also curious to know whether you marched, and if you did, if you had any type of in show solo. Frankly, in week 2 of a spring training with gino, its amazing that this kid has any chops at all. I know what its like to try and play a solo after having your face beaten in for days and weeks and its not pretty (in fact i got cut from the part). Ive heard the solo done much better (and higher), so im sure once the period of adjustment is over it will sound great.

lets NOT ignore the naration. I s hat this topic is about.

<**>

the solo needs to be silky , sexy.

it is harsh and has no personality.

since you got cut from it you would not know.

:lol:

LL

chart is good though, I will give that.