Cadets Narration

Going through it a second time, I actually found a metaphor for it. Its like sitting at a show, watching the Cadets with their usual great music and great drill, but having a loudmouth idiot sitting next to you blabbing on about how great their drum corps days were. Kind of disturbing.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If using sound bites were legal, I would love to have April Gilligan and Marc Sylvester clips in the show shouting obsenity's at the corps as the show goes on!

That would make it a little more authentic!

When did music stop being meaningless? Why does music NEED to be explained? Why do designers superimpose a theme and meaning beyond the intent of the original comoser?

In my opininion, you are insulting my intelegence if you think you have to explain it to me and that I'm not capable of finding MY OWN understanding and aesthetic value in the music.

The need to explain, and in a way "justify" art contributes to the "dummying down" of the arts, not the enhancement of the arts. :(

What better way to make sure your kids are doing the right things on the field by integrating the normal staff instructions throughout the show. Genius I tell you, Genius!

NO KIDDING!!!

I like how they are using the human voice as another percussion instrument. Some of the voice seems to be unnecessary but so does some of the music in most corps's shows at this time of year. That's why there will be so many rewrites to ALL aspects of most every show we see or hear in May. While some of voice needs to be eliminated, and much of it cleaned up and better timed to the music (like every other aspect of the show), I like the direction they are taking. I'm willing to give it the season to develop - as I will every other show, even those without voice.

Hence, my comment about ruining a great steak with some cheap sauce, to which testanator :blink: agreed. Aren't you basically saying the same thing? Maybe "no totally" meant yes?

I am thinking that JBirnyKrum is in agreement with you original comment, just guessing.

The integration is choppy and we all know it will be tweaked and re-written and obviously, the narrator's need to rehearse HOW they say what they're saying so it doesn't sound like-they-are-reading-from-a-script.

Good luck Cadets! I can't wait to see it in August!

I'm with Chris on this. I think, when/if done well, the narration can enhance this show. The audio mix also will be a key.... making sure the brass and narration are blended correctly, so one is not drowning out the other.

And Chris is right..... the narrators need to rehearse sounding more "natural" instead of....well...."rehearsed." But hey....it's early yet.

Fran

I could only stomach about thirty seconds of it. I'm sure it would be fine without the narration. What are they thinking?

You know, there's something in George's personality that's always looking for an edge, always wanting to try new and different things. I respect that, and IMO, that's a lot of what makes him a very, very interesting personality. There's a lot of people out there who are pretty much stuck in their ways, and to his credit, we certainly can't say that about George. IMO, this activity is very fortunate to have someone like Hopkins who keeps the soup stirred. Having said all that, new and different doesn't always mean better, and that is where, IMO, his thinking is flawed. It seems that he's bound and determined to use this narration gag, regardless of the ramifications, in his search for some type of new formula he feels he must use......George, narration has been used in Marching band and WGI for years now. Sometimes successfully, but most often not. IMO, This is WAY beneath the level of sophistication we've come to expect and enjoy from the Cadets. It's NOT a big innovation. Overused narration at this level of drum corps is like using aluminum bats in MLB. Frivolous change is just that.......frivolous. He said he feels like "he's on deck"......George, please use a wooden bat!

Edited by oldtimedrummer

to me it sounded like a high school musical about a drum corps show.

kinda confused that this is what they came up with this year after the debacle last year.