Cadets Narration

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, good questions and you raise some points, but you are not understanding what my post was really saying, and I never said that this was a standard feeling for everyone, but I did say that it can bother the senses.

All the things you point to – spinning flags and rifles, asymmetrical drills, grounded pit, dancing, props, costuming, and so on -- do not interfere with the music (proividing they are done well), they simply add to it. The pit adds to the music and is orchestrated as part of it, the color adds to the music, and the props add color which can add a visual element (not sound) and even an emotional element to the music.

Interesting and well thought out as always, but here is the thing we keep coming back to. You say that adding a pit for example doesnt fundamentally changed the sound, but maybe i say it does for me. Maybe i cant listen to the sound of an ensemble without focusing on those dang marimba parts, and all the other silly gizmos they have down there. Maybe for me it doesnt add anything at all, and i think it is an unecessary disrpuption...

Now in all honesty, I DO understand why voice is more prevalent and harder to ignore than pits, and I understand that it is a more violent change then adding the pit, but the two could be more similar than many think in principle. I think people are calling this a fundamental change in the activity, only because it is a fundamental change to them. As for me, I will stick to the 'if its done well, then its ok' argument. Unfortunately, what I have heard so far hasnt been done so well.

Because someone asked me for proof that derogatory things were said on DCP about the Cadet individual performers, so I looked and found some. How is that not relevant to what I was asked?

I meant relevant to the actual topic.... narration in the Cadets show for this season.

It is the major element. I never said it wasn't. On the other hand, numerous voices here have put forth the invalid argument that the music speaks for itself - it doesn't. That's what I'm addressing.

You can't argue that words are illegitimate because they're extra-musical while simultaneously accepting and appreciating the spinning and the marching which also are extra-musical. Words, like drill, can be used to enhance the music.

Remember the famous "amen"? Word that enhanced a drum corps show. New era? Enhanced.

I could go on but it would only annoy some. The point is words as a category are legitimate. The only issue is execution - just like with uniforms, spinning, etc.

HH

I know you never said it wasn't. I was saying it for the sake of it being said... that music is the major element of drum corps.

And no, I don't remember the famous "Amen." I've never heard or seen the show. Heck, I don't even know what year it is. Although, I do know that people have said that that show rocks.

IMO, words don't enhance the music. If I want to hear words in a performance, I'll go to a concert of my favorite band. And no, I don't mean marching band. lol.

I see your side, and you present it quite well. For me, the bottom line is that I don't like narration- sung or spoken. But I do love gosh darn good hornlines, and the Cadets may just have one this year.

Edited by i_play_percussion

I was at Memorial Brass, as I have been for the past 3 years, and have attended alot of early season Cadets performances and rehearsals since 2002. THIS HORN LINE HAS A TON OF TALENT!!!!! More at this time of year than I have heard from them EVER.

I also predicted in my review that the narration would trigger alot of arguments all year long, and just look at this first thread in May based on a poor clip.

I do not like narration, and have made no bones about that. I am a dino who still tries to embrace the innovation of todays corps. The voice is a distraction, as pointed out in some earlier very intelligent posts. I found myself wishing they would just shut up Sunday night, so I could enjoy the music.

There is another part of the amplification that has not been brought up. It requires that the technology allows for excellence of performance that is required by today's top corps. I have witnessed very few times when the use of amplification, whether in May or August, was not without feedback and blending issues.

They couldn't get the wireless mics to perform Sunday night without a ton of issues when they were making presentations on the stage. This is an indoor, controlled environment that allowed for several hours of pre show set up. Even though they used wired mics for the narration during the performance, and had no feedback issues, the blending was bad, and alot of the words were garbled and couldn't be understood. Heck, they couldn't even get the video introduction on the big screen by the caption heads to play all the way through.

If you are going to try it, PLEASE allow for the excellence of performance and design that wows drum corps audiences and wins championships. If done right, maybe I would agree that there could be a place for it in today's activity.

Did I mention?....

THIS HORN LINE IS GONNA BE AWESOME!

Edited by truman

It isn't relevant to that. I was responding to someone's post.

So... yeah. It isn't relevant to narration. lol.

And did someone say they took the clip off?

Edited by i_play_percussion