What other corps wear sunglasses besides your corps?

Sun glasses are not just a fashion statement. They also serve a purpose - protecting your eyes.

size]

Get Out :blink: :P

I still Stomp Rich

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but some of the best sunglasses also work well as a hair band in the evening. a 2 in 1 accessory. can't go wrong with that. :P

One time I really wished I had sunglasses but didn't was on stage in 2005 with the Renegades at the Cisco Sales Conference in San Francisco. At a certain point the spot lights went into strobe and high intensity mode. Much more intense than the rehearsals. Even with my eyes tightly closed all I could see was white light. Pretty freaky experience.

Mom

Edited by Snapettes Mom

The Pacific Alliance Drumline has worn sunglasses for years. We do parades only, but want to still look ######. We do the Seattle Seafair Torchlight Parade, (the biggest, coolest parade in Washington State), and it's in the evening. The crowd loves us and we are treated like Rock Royalty!! (Other drumlines like to check us out.)

You can check us out at PACALL.NET. You can check out our performance last year by clicking on the "media" button on the left.

Blue Devil Family Day - Usually The Renegades first show. GE box is due West. So that first horns up is blinding to a point I cant see where I am or where Im going.

Way fun.

Edited by dday

obviously you don't follow anything other than what corps it is you are participating with.

And such is the case with any performing member. You go on, you do your show, if you happen to see another corps, then you obviously didn't go on last and aren't the top or one of the top ranked corps. Or the corps who's the show sponsor.

and hey ~ that's fine. but if you look at the DCA schedule and the start times of all the OTHER DCA shows you will see that the rest of the corps rarely have anything that starts at 2 or 4 PM unless there is the once or twice a year Sunday show. :)

6/16 - Wildwood, NJ - 6:30pm

Still daylight I assume at that time. And given that there's only five corps listed, assuming it gets dark at 7:30, that mean's only 1 corps gets to do a night show.

6/30 - Bridgeport, CT - 6:30pm

Same deal, but seven corps. So guess 3 get to do a night show. aka < 50%.

6/30 - Sunnyvale, CA - 7:00pm

Same deal, but 3 corps as the pre-show to a DCI show. While later in the day, it's also further south so it doesn't get dark until later in the day. Most likely 100% daytime shows.

7/7 - Rochester, NY - 7:00pm

Only five corps, so maybe 50/% of them get to perform in the dark with the lights on.

7/14 - Clifton, NJ - 7:00pm

Only six corps, still roughly 50% of them get to perform with the lights on.

7/14 - Central Square, NY - 8:00pm

Only four corps, but this might actually be a night show. Especially if it starts late because of a rain delay.

7/21 - Lewisburg, PA - 7:00pm

Only five corps, roughly 50% of them at night.

7/21 - Woodbridge, VA - 8:00pn

Only six corps, oh wait, one is exhibition, and one folded. But it's late enough to officially be a night show.

7/28 - Houston, TX - 7:00pm

Only five corps, but one is folded and two aren't big enough to compete in DCA. It's fairly south so maybe one or two corps get to go on at night, depending on how much filler is incorporated into the show.

7/28 - Chambersburg, PA - 8:00pm

Only five corps. But a night show.

7/28 - Salem, OH - 8:00pm

Only five corps. Holy cow, a NY corps made it out of NY. At least on paper. And a night show.

8/4 - Binghampton, NY - 8:00pm

Only five corps. And a night show.

8/4 - Nashville, TN - 8:00pm

Six corps. And a night show.

8/11 - Kingston, NY - 7:30pm

Six corps. Mostly a night show.

8/18 - St. Paul, MN - 6:30pm

Six corps. Still kind of light out that time of day.

8/18 - Rockmart, GA - 7:00pm

Six corps, with one folded and one exhibition. Still kind of light for about 50% of the corps.

8/18 - Scranton, PA - 7:30pm

Five corps. Sort of a night show.

8/18 - Syracuse, NY - 7:30pm

Six corps. Sort of a night show.

8/19 - Alphareta, GA - 1:00pm

Six corps, one folded, one exhibition. NOT a night show.

8/19 - St. Peter, MN - 2:00pm

Six corps. NOT a night show.

8/25 - Reading, PA - 7:00pm

Six corps. Sort of a night show.

8/25 - West Haven, CT - 7:00pm

Five corps. Sort of a night show.

-----

I guess if you're a NE corps, or a corps doing mostly NE shows, then yes, you get to do night shows. If you're not, than maybe 50% of your shows have the potential to be a night show. Not that your slotted performance time is at night. It does look like this years schedule is considerably later in the evening than years in the past. Perhaps some corps can eat lunch AND dinner before they perform this season.

So who's playing we were our sunglasses at night this year?

I would prefer to have sunglasses as part of the uniform. I spend all day at practice with them on. I look strange without them...

...OK, I look strange with them on too. I can't win.

Empire! Early 90's we encouraged the horn players to wear them in daylight especially prelims.

Donny

Also, as Donny well knows, sunglasses make the perfect projectile to launch at the corps from the DM podium - DURING the show! :P

(re: Madison, WI, DCA show in 1999 for the memory-impaired)

6/16 - Wildwood, NJ - 6:30pm

Still daylight I assume at that time. And given that there's only five corps listed, assuming it gets dark at 7:30, that mean's only 1 corps gets to do a night show.

7/28 - Salem, OH - 8:00pm

Only five corps. Holy cow, a NY corps made it out of NY. At least on paper. And a night show.

This poster and this post make a perfect example of how (badly) one sounds when one talks without having a command of the facts.

In other words: first, engage brain, then talk!

The two above clips tell the tale:

First, the Wildwood show is INSIDE! (Shadow_7: "D'oh!") So, it wouldn't matter what time of day the show is on, no sunglasses required.

Second (would you like some cheese with that whine?), the New York corps is SPONSORING the Ohio show! And, this is in addition to its home show. Without this corps' effort, that would be one LESS opportunity for the attending Midwest corps to perform. BTW, the same corps is performing in 4 states outside of its home state this summer.

Personally, in 11 seasons of drum corps (in big corps, in little corps, on early, on late), I have only done a handful of afternoon shows besides DCA Prelims (1995 DCM prelims, 2005 E. Providence, 2002 Rochester, and 1999 Madison come to mind). Outside of that, only one show stands out where I wished I'd had sunglasses: 2000 Phoenix, NY.

The stadium was without lights, so the show kicked off at 6 PM. It was a mid-June show, when the sun is near its highest point all year, and Crusaders were on first. The press box was on the west side of the field, and there were no trees near the field. The sunlight blazed across the field. All this conspired to make that performance the hardest for me to see during (except when we faced backfield - whew!) by far.

Now, all you corps people who wear sunglasses as part of the uni have it easy, compared to having to whip the shades out in the middle of the show and try to stick them on the face over eyeglasses, all while holding a horn and doing drill (with the vocals!) in about 7 seconds. :worthy: