What other corps wear sunglasses besides your corps?

Well, I have worn the uni on the field under the sun a few times (especially for all of those DCA prelims - until 2004, that is!) But, EVERY run-through - with uni or not - is a performance, and I have PLENTY of those in the blazing hot sun (and driving rain, and gusting wind, and pinging hail even!) Which is true for practically every poster on here.

Sun, schmun. Ever have a field next to the stadium catch fire during a show? Now that's hot!

Happened at the Elk Grove, CA, show in 2006.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly - I think wearing sunglasses on the field is stupid...unless it's part of the uniform (Renegades). There's a reason it's called a uniform - everyone looks the SAME. DCI kids have day shows all the time - you don't see them wearing sunglasses in competition...A few horn players wearing sunglasses looks bad, imho.

The issue on the West Coast is that senior corps go on first at all the DCI shows. So, sunglasses are pretty much a necessity.

Plus, they look cool. B)

The issue on the West Coast is that senior corps go on first at all the DCI shows. So, sunglasses are pretty much a necessity.

There was ONE show in 05 where it was not...when they moved Riverside ouy of RCC for a year...we actually had the blazing sun at our backs...our DM couldn;t see for crap, tho!

Plus, they look cool. B)

You wouldn't say that if you saw some of the shades the Dream folks have worn over the years!

Honestly - I think wearing sunglasses on the field is stupid...unless it's part of the uniform (Renegades). There's a reason it's called a uniform - everyone looks the SAME. DCI kids have day shows all the time - you don't see them wearing sunglasses in competition...A few horn players wearing sunglasses looks bad, imho.

I completely agree

What are these night shows of which you speak? Are there any butterflies at them?

B)

I wore my sunglasses at DCA 2002.

But then again, mine are prescription.

I did that too at Prelims in 1995, unintentionally. I too wear perscription sunglasses and usually change them before we perform, though on this occassion I didn't even realize I didn't until after we took our corps photo.

Sun has an unwritten rule that you don't wear shades for shows (but we do allow them for parades). My eyes are sensitive to sunlight and I wish I could wear them as we haven't gone on under the lights in a number of years, but rules must be followed. I was told back in the '90's that perscription sunglasses were okay, but I have never taken advantage of that.

Blue Devil Family Day - Usually The Renegades first show. GE box is due West. So that first horns up is blinding to a point I cant see where I am or where Im going.

Way fun.

Every GE box on the planet is due West!!! :worthy: In my 21 years in the activity I can't remember not facing into the sun while performing when it was daylight out. I think it is a mass conspiracy by the International Coalition of Footballers Against Band & Corps. ^0^

And such is the case with any performing member. You go on, you do your show, if you happen to see another corps, then you obviously didn't go on last and aren't the top or one of the top ranked corps. Or the corps who's the show sponsor.

6/16 - Wildwood, NJ - 6:30pm

Still daylight I assume at that time. And given that there's only five corps listed, assuming it gets dark at 7:30, that mean's only 1 corps gets to do a night show.

6/30 - Bridgeport, CT - 6:30pm

Same deal, but seven corps. So guess 3 get to do a night show. aka < 50%.

6/30 - Sunnyvale, CA - 7:00pm

Same deal, but 3 corps as the pre-show to a DCI show. While later in the day, it's also further south so it doesn't get dark until later in the day. Most likely 100% daytime shows.

7/7 - Rochester, NY - 7:00pm

Only five corps, so maybe 50/% of them get to perform in the dark with the lights on.

7/14 - Clifton, NJ - 7:00pm

Only six corps, still roughly 50% of them get to perform with the lights on.

7/14 - Central Square, NY - 8:00pm

Only four corps, but this might actually be a night show. Especially if it starts late because of a rain delay.

7/21 - Lewisburg, PA - 7:00pm

Only five corps, roughly 50% of them at night.

7/21 - Woodbridge, VA - 8:00pn

Only six corps, oh wait, one is exhibition, and one folded. But it's late enough to officially be a night show.

7/28 - Houston, TX - 7:00pm

Only five corps, but one is folded and two aren't big enough to compete in DCA. It's fairly south so maybe one or two corps get to go on at night, depending on how much filler is incorporated into the show.

7/28 - Chambersburg, PA - 8:00pm

Only five corps. But a night show.

7/28 - Salem, OH - 8:00pm

Only five corps. Holy cow, a NY corps made it out of NY. At least on paper. And a night show.

8/4 - Binghampton, NY - 8:00pm

Only five corps. And a night show.

8/4 - Nashville, TN - 8:00pm

Six corps. And a night show.

8/11 - Kingston, NY - 7:30pm

Six corps. Mostly a night show.

8/18 - St. Paul, MN - 6:30pm

Six corps. Still kind of light out that time of day.

8/18 - Rockmart, GA - 7:00pm

Six corps, with one folded and one exhibition. Still kind of light for about 50% of the corps.

8/18 - Scranton, PA - 7:30pm

Five corps. Sort of a night show.

8/18 - Syracuse, NY - 7:30pm

Six corps. Sort of a night show.

8/19 - Alphareta, GA - 1:00pm

Six corps, one folded, one exhibition. NOT a night show.

8/19 - St. Peter, MN - 2:00pm

Six corps. NOT a night show.

8/25 - Reading, PA - 7:00pm

Six corps. Sort of a night show.

8/25 - West Haven, CT - 7:00pm

Five corps. Sort of a night show.

-----

I guess if you're a NE corps, or a corps doing mostly NE shows, then yes, you get to do night shows. If you're not, than maybe 50% of your shows have the potential to be a night show. Not that your slotted performance time is at night. It does look like this years schedule is considerably later in the evening than years in the past. Perhaps some corps can eat lunch AND dinner before they perform this season.

So who's playing we were our sunglasses at night this year?

Sunset usually occurs around 8:30pm or later here in the Northeast. The corps who go on at the beginning of the show (the first 2-3, including my own) usually go on in daylight with the sun square in your eyes as you are performing. Yes, it does suck and there is nothing you can do about it except get better and earn a later slot next year.

Sunset usually occurs around 8:30pm or later here in the Northeast. The corps who go on at the beginning of the show (the first 2-3, including my own) usually go on in daylight with the sun square in your eyes as you are performing. Yes, it does suck and there is nothing you can do about it except get better and earn a later slot next year.

Not if you;re on the west coast....Renegades and Dream could've won their respective classes in 06 and they would STILL go on first at DCi shows -- with the exception of the West Coast Showdown in Sacramento and now -- from what i understand -- any show on weekday (FINALLY...someone at DCI figured out that sr corps people usually have jobs to come from...)