When did learning your "dot" start?

Charlie Groh did that with Dream a couple of times...VERY colorful on the firld when that man gets his hands on field paint!

...and he's still doing it was a very colorful array of paint colors! It was an experience for us old-timers to learn this new system of drill dots. But, it was nice for those of us that live out of town (OOT's). We can find a football field, mark all our dots with landscaping flags, golf balls, poker chips, etc. and learn/practice our drill.

Proud to be R-3!!!!!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, what's funny is when all those little things are taken away and the mayhem truely begins!!!! B)

• 2 weeks later...

In Blue Knights in 1995, we actually had separate dots for our "Dots" (props). I'm sure they did in 93 as well, but I was at Freelancers being told to "just stay in the arc." We're guard... that's what we do. Stay in the arc. At least in the 90s. Just thought that was kind of funny.

Starting in I believe 1986 (definately in 1987) we got Top arrangers to do the brass (Frank Doritte) and Percussion (Bob Dubinsky) and we had Brubaker doing the Drill.

In 1988 Doritte wrote the brass charts again, but mid season Jay Dawson did some rewrites for us. The Percussion was written by Charlie Poole, and Brubaker did the Drill again.

In 1989 Jay Dawson did the Brass Charts, Brett Mascaro did the Drill, and I think Rob Mueller did the Battery with Bruce McConnell doing Pit.

I know 1990 had Rob and Bruce doing the Drums, Brubaker did Drill, and Dawson was still the Brass Guy.

Interesting. I marched with Brett Mascaro in Reading Buccaneers when he was about 17 or 18. He played second soprano, I think, and then went on to be Crossmen's drum major. Nice kid, very talented. I know I marched with Steve Brubaker and he was in the rifle line. Also a real neat guy.

However, in junior corps we were still doing military drills back then and it pretty much was the precision of maintaining intervals, size of step, and guide. Then knowing when to stop and start on the music. Most of the sets were relative to the other ranks on the field, as well as the field markers.

When I got to DCA's Reading Buccaneers in 1976, Joe Aiello was doing the drill and he was a maniac! (RIP, Joe) None of his formations ever fit the way he wanted them to and he always blamed it on us screwing up and he would go ballistic! Somehow, we squeezed everything and twisted it and massaged it so it kind of worked. The results were usually pretty good. To mark our spots we used a rock, an old matchbook, a stick...whatever was around.

Earlier, before Joe Aiello and also after Joe, Ralph Pace drills used a follow the leader technique that just required the end of the form to find a set and as long as everyone was paying attention to their intervals and position in the overall form; It was cool. This was 1976-1981

Edited by Martybucs

Just give me my contra 50 yard line hugging drill ! B)

I know what you meam. They used to tell us: "Contras, stay at least 8 steps behind the Bass drums, and keep outta the way of the Color Guard." :P