Request for all high school band directors taking their students to sh

Dear Drum Corps,

Please don't be boring anymore. Perhaps, then, my students will enjoy it and I will start bringing them again.

I always get the info to them, but let them find their own way there. This weeds out the ones that are along for the fieldtrip and not serious about watching. I do use the DVDs extensively and enjoy them more than watching live today. :rock:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why some are misinterpreting the OP to say "stay stone silent during shows and don't respond to what's happening." He's simply asking that band directors remind their 15 and 16 year olds that people are trying to listen to the what the corps are doing, and that talking about the performance in a conversational tone WHILE IT'S HAPPENING interferes with other people next to you who want to hear it for themselves.

I'd hope that if they were taken to any other live concert that the same restraint would be exercised. It shows respect for fellow audience members and respect for the performers. If you want to comment to your friend, lean in and say it directly to them so that it's for their ears only. Not a hard concept to get the head around.

Certainly some HS band directors do talk to their students and have overall good controll of them. Others not so much. <**>

But many people, including kids, corps members, staff members, and the general public need constant reminders of how to properly behave. Sad but true. :(

Drum Corps shows are not the concert hall and I've certainly cheered for soloist, a neat drill move or a great unison rifle catch etc.

But CONSTANT chatter or using cell phones is another thing and in my opinion is unacceptable as is leaving and entering during a performance. If they're not watching the show, they should go somewhere else.

Edited by shawn craig

But many people, including kids, corps members, staff members, and the general public need constant reminders of how to properly behave. Sad but true. :(

So true, if you've ever been to the Riverside show and sit towards the top. They also always announce they don't want anyone standing up there, but it still happens, and we're talking corps members, staff, and alums here.

But hey, it's all about being young and unfortunately being loud just to show off. I've become pretty good at tuning out. Part of it is because I'm a teacher and sometimes you just have to ignore and part of it is from my drum corps teachings of focusing only on the performance and not worrying about the distractions.

I also tend to find that seating in the premium section (if it is offered) is better than buying a general admission ticket or sitting outside the 40 yard line. Sure there are still some loud mouths, but most who buy tickets in these sections want to be there and want to see the shows. The only thing that baffles me is someone who would pay that extra money for a ticket and complain throughout the whole show about how things were better back in the days compared to now. Maybe someone can explain that to me. :)

BTW, I encourage everyone to clap, yell, and whoop it up at a show when you see something you like. It's a great release and it's fun.

[waves off all of the preceding, feh]

Bring 'em. I don't care how much noise they make. Little kids and high school kids who see drum corps = future drum corps members. They talk and giggle and squeal, and have a good time, and that's my goal-- for people to have a good time at drum corps shows. Furthermore, every single one of 'em is welcome to come up and get a hug from this three-show chairperson/tolerant "momma" :)

Folks, let's make this crystal clear once and for all: it isn't about my or your particular etiquette philosophies. Public behavior EVERYWHERE isn't what it was 40 years ago, but not much else is like it used to be, either. Que sera, sera.

What is IS about the gate total, and those dollars go straight back to the corps themselves so they can buy food and diesel fuel, and THAT is what keeps these shows on the road so you can go see them in the first place.

My great-grandmother raised six children to be very nice folks, and maintained a calm demeanor all her life, and she used to say, "See half of what they do, and hear half of what they say." She didn't mean that youngsters should be ignored, only that it was wise to watch and listen selectively, because a lot of what you see and hear doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

[leaves soapbox and goes back to trying to find those last couple of housing sites]

I remember when my band directors took me to my first show at Lake Highlands HS in Texas. He took us all aside before going in and said:

"Now this isn't a concert, but it isn't a social club either. Cheer, clap, ooh, and ahh...but don't just sit there and chat, that tends to tick people off. Also, some of these fans are pretty hard, so don't bash any particular corps too much. You never know who's mom, dad, or worse, alumni, is sitting near by. Some may not care that you're in high school. Say the wrong thing and I wouldn't be surprised if you got popped in the mouth, or at least you would've in my day. We all clear? Good."

That was a smart band director right there..... ^OO^

I remember when my band directors took me to my first show at Lake Highlands HS in Texas. He took us all aside before going in and said:

"Now this isn't a concert, but it isn't a social club either. Cheer, clap, ooh, and ahh...but don't just sit there and chat, that tends to tick people off. Also, some of these fans are pretty hard, so don't bash any particular corps too much. You never know who's mom, dad, or worse, alumni, is sitting near by. Some may not care that you're in high school. Say the wrong thing and I wouldn't be surprised if you got popped in the mouth, or at least you would've in my day. We all clear? Good."

:doh::rock:

Often just turning a group or individual and telling them you paid to hear the corps, not their conversation, will do the trick.

Hey...buy better seats....I usually don't have a problem on the 50....most of the high school kids sit outside the 35....usually!! :)