O Magnum Mysterium

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As Mr. Boo pointed out, there are literally dozens of musical settnings of this ancient text. The one enjoying current popularity is by Lauridsen though, the most famous is probably that by Renaissance composer Tomas Luis deVittoria.

That's the one I've sung many times. Very beautiful setting.

The Columbus State University Wind Ensemble (Georgia) has an OUTSTANDING recording of this available on their Velocity CD. At one time they were on YouTube, but I can't find it anymore.

I was doing a google of O Magnum and came across the CSU recording. I had never heard

this group before. WOW...what a band.

We played it at SoCal Dream last year....honestly at this time of the morning I don;t remember if we used it as the on field warmup. Gorgeous piece.

Yes, we did play this piece.

It was not our onfield.

Yes, we did play this piece.

It was not our onfield.

Thanks, Thom....I was trying to remember...would've helped to confirm it if the DVD had the field entrance and warmup like 04 did.

A shame we didn't use for the on field....it was my choice when we were trying to decide what to play.

Edited by 84BDsop

Found it...

SCV

####### sweet!! Too bad the entire piece isn't up....but sweet nonetheless.

Dream's version was a little shorter -- being a possible onfield....the SCV version goes into some other parts of the choral work we never got.

I'm blanking on the story behind the piece...a plea to God for the composer's daughter, who was fighting cancer (?)

As Mr. Boo pointed out, there are literally dozens of musical settnings of this ancient text. The one enjoying current popularity is by Lauridsen though, the most famous is probably that by Renaissance composer Tomas Luis deVittoria.

Ooooooooo. I sang that in a college choir. It still haunts me. That would be one I'd love to see on the field.

The Columbus State University Wind Ensemble (Georgia) has an OUTSTANDING recording of this available on their Velocity CD. At one time they were on YouTube, but I can't find it anymore.

I was doing a google of O Magnum and came across the CSU recording. I had never heard

this group before. WOW...what a band.

The recording of the Northwestern University SWE (CD - "Contemporaries") is excellent - got it from iTunes. iTMS also has the Columbus recording.