College

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One year with Indiana University of PA with the team formerly known as the Indians. Team now known as Crimson Hawks cuz the NCAA made us change the name. :sshh:

"The PRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE OF PENNSYLVANIA, THE BEAST OF THE EAST!!!"

Still that was better than the "Fighting Squirrels" after all the bushy tailed vermin in the one really green section of campus.

The Oak Grove.

I was all about The Squirrels, man. It would have given us something great to chant at the games:

WE EAT NUTS!

WE EAT NUTS!

WE EAT NUTS!!!

:devil:

One year with Indiana University of PA with the team formerly known as the Indians. Team now known as Crimson Hawks cuz the NCAA made us change the name. :sshh:

Pretty funny that a school from INDIANa had to change the name. Maybe they should change the name of the town and the state, too.

Lots of insert name here University of PA people. I had the distinct displeasure of marching as DM with the Edinboro U of PA Fighting Scots. Just a matter of time until the Scottish community demands a name change! Lots of corps people from there back in the day.

Our claim to fame was making the world's largest towel, a Steelers "terrible towel," the size of a football field and a Guiness record. It went along nicely with our Opera/Disco show featuring works by Verdi and the Bee Gees, a big hit with the football fans. :devil:

Pretty funny that a school from INDIANa had to change the name. Maybe they should change the name of the town and the state, too.

Lots of insert name here University of PA people. I had the distinct displeasure of marching as DM with the Edinboro U of PA Fighting Scots. Just a matter of time until the Scottish community demands a name change! Lots of corps people from there back in the day.

Our claim to fame was making the world's largest towel, a Steelers "terrible towel," the size of a football field and a Guiness record. It went along nicely with our Opera/Disco show featuring works by Verdi and the Bee Gees, a big hit with the football fans. :devil:

Ah yes, the Eerie :devil:Frozen Scots on the Lake.. :devil:

Weird part about the schools from Indiana, PA (located in Indiana County) was the college was the Big Indians and the High School was/still is(?) the Little Indians. Little Indians??? Now there's a name to strike fear into your opponents. :doh:

Tank, best bit I heard about the Oak Grove squirrels was the following:

"I'd like to go squirrel hunting in the Oak Grove"

"Can't do that it's too dangerous"

"What, I'd hit someone"

"Nah, more like you'd shoot yourself in the leg trying to pick one off of those little bastichs"

Translation for non-IUP folks: Friggin' bushy tailed rats were so tame, and greedy, they were known to crawl up you pants leg for food. :doh:

Edit: If the NCAA wants to talk about being non-PC I'll show them my 1980 (graduated Dec 79) yearbook. We had guy and gal dressed in buckskins and war paint for the football games. Least the gal was cute but the guy was as pasty and scrawny looking. Even in the non-PC late 70s lot of us were saying WTF?

Wordst part is the marching band/basketball pep band quit playing rev'ed up versions of Woody Hermans(?) "Cherokee". I can see cutting out white folsk doing war whoops but at least let us do the freakin' song. :doh:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I marched in the Antelope Valley College Marching Marauders in Lancaster, CA in the 93-94 and 94-95 seasons. Sadly, they are no longer in existence. :rolleyes: It was an absolute blast. Almost as fun as drum corps.

I also "marched" (I was in the pit) with CSU Northridge Matador Band for Fall of 97. Ironically, I had graduated from CSUN in 96 and only marched that next year as a favor to a friend while I was waiting for my Air Force Officer Training School entry date. Sadly, as it has been mentioned before, the Matadors are also no longer in existence. I really hope I had nothing to do with these.

:rolleyes:

Sacramento State Marching Band for 5 fall seasons and the winter drumline for 7 seasons (started when I was a senior in high school)

1989 Riverside Community College Marching Tigers. But for one scheduling conflict between the jazz band and their recording session and the marching bands kiwanis dinner had the marching band director threaton my grade if I choose the recording session. I deamed the recording session more important and got a lower grade in marching band because of it. Even had the marching band director call me out in front of the band about how I left him hanging. I guess letting everyone know that I was doing this rather than that and distributing the solo part to other capable players wasn't good enough. Needless to say I only did one semester of it as a freshman. And never looked back.

At the University I went to, no football, so no marching band. There was an effort to put a small pep band together to play for the womens basketball games though. Not the most exciting work, but the view was nice.

James, you gotta love Gary Locke for putting a Kiwanis dinner ahead of a recording gig.

I still have that CD you guys recorded. It was worth the grade drop!

Garry in Vegas

PS What was the name of the girl in the Jazz Singers that had the great looks, but always sang flat?