More Pioneer changes

For the record, I am bringing my 16 year old son out next week to fill the last soprano hole, some former Magic kids from last year have expressed interest and the horn line is supposedly at 47 now in the last few days, woo-hoo!!!! One spot to fill, I believe it is a baritone or contra...not quite sure.

But my point is...I wouldnt bring my own son to something that was wacked. It will be a fun year if nothing else...near the bottom of Div. 1...who cares? It is all about the kids having the best summer they have ever had, and being the best they can be. That will happen for the most of the kids.

Better every day!

Donny

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My take on Pioneer is this...

Will they win DCI world's this year? Likely Not.

Will they finish near the bottom? Most likely.

Will 100+ members have the summer of their life? Abosolutely.

Will Pioneer performers learn, live and grow? No doubt about it.

Will Pioneer strive for excellence in performance and be entertaining? For Sure.

I think you get the point.

Best of luck his summer Pioneer. I always look forward to seeing your show.

Amen to that. Came across Pioneer on more than one occasion last year,. They seem to be a very fine, well run organization, The kids really seemed to like it there. I'm looking forward to see them on the field in a few days. ^OO^

For the record, I am bringing my 16 year old son out next week to fill the last soprano hole, some former Magic kids from last year have expressed interest and the horn line is supposedly at 47 now in the last few days, woo-hoo!!!! One spot to fill, I believe it is a baritone or contra...not quite sure.

But my point is...I wouldnt bring my own son to something that was wacked. It will be a fun year if nothing else...near the bottom of Div. 1...who cares? It is all about the kids having the best summer they have ever had, and being the best they can be. That will happen for the most of the kids.

Better every day!

Donny

Donny...let me buy you a soda (as they say in Milwaukee) when you get to Tempe. Thanks for jumping on here...for being so open and honest...and for shedding some light on the good things happening at Pioneer.

Better every day!

Donny

The Great Timmy Allen with Pioneer? Sounds like the corps will definitely be pretty darn good! Timmy is a fine player and I wish when I was his age I was as good as him. Pioneer is in great hands with Donny so don't worry about Pioneer.

Hey Donny! Is that gorgeous blonde still working with the horn line?

I am leaving in awhile for the majority of the summer with the exception of some DCA judging gigs.

Looking forward to another challenge.

Better Every Day!

Donny

Is Drillwatcher who I think he is?

I always thought it was Roman Jr. Although am not too sure why I think that. If I am wrong, my apologies.

If I am correct...well, maybe my apologies too. On one hand, that is crazy...but on the other hand, I could completely understand.

I have had the pleasure of sharing a rehearsal site with Pioneer last season after the Drums Across the Bluegrass show. They are perhaps one of the nicest groups of people I have met. I don't think anyone should knock a corps for not placing high or anything like that. Winning is great and all, but thats not the most important thing in the world. As long as they're enjoying themselves, it's not a wasted summer.

Edited by hxcsoprano

Unfortunately for all of you naysayers...it is a much better product with more kids and a staff that is finally getting along just fine. Even not being there, I have had daily communication with staff members. They are learning the closer drill as I type.

I dont get why you are putting a corps down that you have sponsored someone to participate in. And...

You must not have been to DCA finals weekend in a few decades. These corps dont suck and the programming is not much different than the lower end of the top 12. They are weekend only corps, but most are severely talented. Are they the Cavaliers...absolutely not, but those products are very good. Sorry if they entertain the audience. DCA is growing and DCI is losing corps year after year. I applaud Roman Blenski for not allowing his corps to be a casualty. Pioneer is not a senior corps nor do they resemble one at all.

I know I will what I can to be the best they can be...and that is the only thing that is important. I cant wait to get back to work.

Donny

Donny,

Very glad that you're on Pioneer's staff this year. Also glad to know that Stuart Spoon is still the percussion caption head. What a super guy! I think he's been with Pioneer for about ten years now. That's pretty darn stable if you ask me!

While Music City Legend was touring the Midwest for 4th of July weekend in 2005, we had the pleasure of staying at Pioneerland for a night. I can't tell you how honored I felt especially after seeing all the old corps photos and memorabilia on the walls. I was also honored to meet Roman in person for the first time. He has dedicated his life to Pioneer and to the well being of it's members and is a great inspiration for me personally.

Looking forward to seeing you guys this year. Have a great, safe summer!

Edited by Mark Time

Just got home from Pioneerland. I got a chance to see Donny in action fronting the horn arc for about an hour and a half. They are playing at a higher level than they were at this time last year, and the Larry Kerchner charts are gorgeous! The horn line was like a sponge, soaking up everything that Donny was throwing at them, and I swear they were a better horn line at 4:30 than they were at 3:00 when I got there. They had fourty three in the horn arc (still some kids yet to report) and were very well balanced, at times pumping out a very good wall of sound. I still love the fact that they are in the key of G. There's just something about the key of G :)

I got to hear their warm up coral done as written, then done with an eighth note pattern, then with a triplet pattern, then a 16th note pattern. Great exercize! Then they worked the opener "Holtz March" (sp?). Love the Kerchner arrangement of this classic. Next they worked closer. It starts with a gorgeous ballad style treatment of "When Irish Eyes are Smiling" and then climaxes with an interweaving of all the Irish Pioneer classics like "Garry Owen", and a bunch of others that you'll recognize. Finally they touched on a swing piece that Donny has them playing better than anything else in the book at this point. The kids really impressed me with their feel for the genre.

Right next to the horn arc, their large guard was busy learning equipment work. I was impressed to see all 20 guard members spinning rifles quite professionally at one point.

Didn't get to see the percussion line on the other end of the complex, but from what I hear, it should be good once again. I'm really looking forward to seeing this show on the field in Racine next Friday.

...and Donny, YOU DA MAN!!! It was great seeing you again!